Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Pedaling in Beethoven's Fur Elise  (Read 10568 times)

Offline vmackerman

• PS Silver Member
Pedaling in Beethoven's Fur Elise
on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:36 PM
Looking for pedaling suggestions for my student for Fur Elise. I have two copies, one with pedaling marked, one without. I know how I play it, but I think I often use the pedal too much for this style of music so looking for objective advice. Thanks.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pedaling in Beethoven's Fur Elise
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:45:10 AM
Use the marked score.

I'm somewhat disturbed that a piano teacher wouldn't be confident teaching Fuer Elise. ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:02 AM
Suggest to your student to pedal during the left hand arpeggios, and no pedal when the right hand plays.

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:30:31 AM
here is my 2 cents, just remember, the old classical days the piano had 2 strings, start from one-harsichord, and peopel start to pluck it too hard and it start to break. Lather, people started to invent a better keyboard-a piano with 2 strings....to get mor edynamics ff..long story..Ok you got the picture.

Now days our piano is more resonant than last decade playing with no pedals and betetr response, therefore you can imagine" back to their time", he/she maked with pedal MAY not be necessary for modern piano interpretation. Again, music is not science it is an art. Use it at your own wish. ;)

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:03:21 PM
Do you have an urtext edition? Beethoven wrote pedal for mm. 2-4 and 9-11. He also wrote "con pedale" for the section at m. 59.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert