Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Pieces that are 'easy' to play but hard to read  (Read 2840 times)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Pieces that are 'easy' to play but hard to read
on: February 24, 2012, 05:49:48 AM
 ;D
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline stiefel

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pieces that are 'easy' to play but hard to read
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:16:04 AM
pretty much anything with a complicated key signature and lots of accidentals is hard to read, but not necessarily hard to play.

Offline grandstaff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:55:22 PM
Scriabin's late preludes, and Desir.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:22:47 AM
Everything... :(
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:35:14 PM
Stuff by a brand new composer.  I've played next to no Schumann... I get a headache looking at his writing.  There is extensive passagework in a lot of his pieces with double stemmed notes to outline melodies.  I know that a lot of other composers to this a lot too, but for some reason with his, it just looks cluttered!  I can't say these are easy pieces, but I know a lot of people who play a bunch of Schumann, and have never really complained about it.

A lot of Liszt.  The piece is obviously not 'easy', but in the Mephisto Waltz, the climax with the RH arpeggios after the deadly frantic jumps (near the end) is probably one of the easier parts to execute in the piece (once you have the notes down!).  That was something that struck me when I was working on it.  There were other parts that were easy to read (RH tremolos) that were beasts even after knowing the passages well.

Reflets dans l'eau... I was looking at that piece a little while ago and was working through it on the side.  I went to this after studying the 'etude pour les arpeges composees'.  These pieces are tough to get going with right off the bat, but they fit so nicely in your hand!  The Eb major climax spot in the Reflets dans l'Eau may sound intense and look intense, but broken apart the components to it are very manageable!

Bach fugues... once you get the voices and finger independence working with these, it is as if you are solving a tough puzzle.  There probably aren't too many people who can sit and sight read a bach fugue and have really good voicing throughout.  These pieces are pretty miniature compared to a lot of stuff by later composers, but they seem to require the same intensity of work.  I find though, once it clicks, it REALLY clicks.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline evitaevita

• PS Silver Member
"I'm a free person; I feel terribly free. They could put me in chains and I still would be free because my thoughts would be mine - and that's all I want to have."
Arthur Rubinstein

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 11:42:47 PM
Anything published in a book that keeps trying to slam itself shut while you're trying to play from it.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:05:35 AM
Anything published in a book that keeps trying to slam itself shut while you're trying to play from it.
you too!? omg we bought the same music  :o

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 01:44:36 AM

This is why I so rarely buy scores and prefer to print/bind my own.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert