Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: Fantaisie impromptu -.-  (Read 10299 times)

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Fantaisie impromptu -.-
on: February 24, 2012, 01:21:31 PM
Well I remember saying on a thread on posting my fantaisie impromptu vid. Though a bit late,here it is.

How is it?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fantaisie impromptu -.-
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:44 PM
Is that YOU doing all that unnecessry pedaling or is it your piano that's defective?  It's a shame, because you play the brilliant runs, well, brilliantly.  But I can't say more than that because the sound is so distorted and run together.  You do have to look at the middle section again.  It's filled with mis-readings.   

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:36:31 PM
I don't get it. Do you mean I pedalled too 'heavily' or something like that? If so then I have worked on it for a very long time, but still couldn't get it right. Those misreadings you mentions are just slips of the fingers.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:13:05 PM
Your finger dexterity is such that it would result much more brilliantly if you didn't pedal at all.  Or at the most, a slight "butterfly" movement of the foot.  I don't think those little mistakes in the middle section are slips of the fingers.  Because you repeat them.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:52:33 PM
Good technique,

It will sound better on a piano, there's not much one can do on a electric piano. :)
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:09:26 PM
I do think it sound awful without/less pedal , maybe because of my piano anyways. Well I can't get any other piano besides this one, a real piano is too loud.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:32:50 PM
You can use significantly less pedal and it will sound better, also on this piano, I'm sure. I think it's a quite good digital piano. And I second Birba's advice fully.

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 08:11:01 AM
very good for a start, check your left hand top thumb note(s) at 2.12.

Nice digital piano, a very even digitl touch taght you dnt have to worry about the tunning. :D

SERIOUSLY ave you
thought of doing an internal recording from that digital piano. Contact your digital  piano dealers and find out if you can. That wise, you will get an awesome sound quality.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:00:25 PM
Twirler:  That was pretty good! Remember me? You were on my thread some time ago. WOW!  You've come a long ways! I wish I had your dexterity. Your runs are brilliant, to say the least. I'm still having trouble with them and haven't even played the last page hands together yet. Your progress is phenomenal!  There seems to be some wrong notes in the middle section, though. and your piano went silent at the beginning of the middle section but other than that, great job! I hope to be able to play like you by the end of this year!

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:00:10 AM
Yea of course I remember. Well tbh I don't practice the middle section very much. Regretted it after posting the vid. Maybe this vid can help you with your progress as well! If I can do like that , surely you can too.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:37:25 PM
No, it was good that you posted the video even though the middle section wasn't great. I enjoyed it very much and you're inspiring me to keep at it. I don't know that I can do it just because you can do it!!!  You have flying fingers! You can really go fast!  I've put my FI on vacation for a while but I'll start it again soon. Been busy learning Liszt Consolation No 3. Hope to post it in this audition room in the next month or so. When you've revised your middle section, perhaps you can post here again.  How did you manage to play those running passages so fast?

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:25:12 PM
Surely I am going to post my video again after perfecting the middle section. Well, on how I move the fingers, my teacher just gave me one bit of advice , though you might know about it already. I just have to keep my whole hand very relaxed and make it flow like water. He also told me that  loudness came from pressing down from the wrist and arm, not fingers.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:09:08 PM
Thanks for the bit of advice, which is an excellent one. I will keep it in mind when I practice anything. I have a problem with tension which prevents me from going fast so I've been doing some relaxation exercises. I like the way you describe making your whole hand very relaxed and making it flow like water! I look forward to your revised video.  Let me know when you post it. Send me a PM.

Offline derschoenebahnhof

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 05:22:27 PM
Good technique,

It will sound better on a piano, there's not much one can do on a electric piano. :)

No. The problem here is not the digital piano. The sound feels quite good, it's just that there is too much pedal. As others have said, finger dexterity is excellent. Digital pianos have come a long way in my opinion, and if you live in an apartment, they are ideal. The mute pedal on an upright can sound awful, besides the problem with the felt getting stuck if you release the pedal too fast. It muddles everything, and it forces you to strike the keys too hard...

CG

Offline dire_tonic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 06:32:09 PM
That’s really impressive twirler. I’ve been working on this for some time and at your tempo -   which is a stretch for me - I’m unable to achieve the evenness and definition you're showing here.  As everyone has mentioned, the sound is swimming terribly and it’s utterly spoiling your otherwise excellent performance.  I was wondering if it could be a reverb setting that you’ve chosen which is making the sound too wet?  Or are you just not lifting your foot off the sustain? Surely it can't be that?

I didn’t bother to listen to the moderato. The first bar (2nd half) is supposed to be a quaver duplet over a quaver triplet and your not playing it as written so that obviously needs work.

The very end of the piece where the moderato melody is picked out in the LH sounds rather relentless and needs some expression. But I’ve no doubt with a bit more work you’ll be able to make a superb job of the piece!

Pity you didn’t put your post on Candlelightpiano’s thread where you started; I think it always makes for a more interesting interplay of ideas and suggestions when these contributions are collected under one heading.

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 10:42:46 PM
I will keep that in mind! Oh well , back to working on the middle section. That section is always the most boring part for me haha. And the very end, took me a while to get the right hand that soft. All in all I still need practice. I am gonna post a corrected video soon, hopefully will be fine then.

The reason I didn't post much in her thread is that I have actually nothing else to say, since the community have been doing such a good job in saying everything I need to say, and I am not a such a good player myself.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 01:55:14 AM
You're an excellent pianist, Twirler! Much better than me. I look forward to your revised video, whenever you post it and wherever you post it. You also have a very good teacher.

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 07:52:38 AM
Yeah my teacher is awesome! Its fun to learn from him, and he get points across in rather interesting ways. Though he didn't teach me anything bout the middle section, I can learn myself he said.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 05:08:59 PM
Perhaps you should get him to teach you the middle section. It's an important section because this piece is really a contrast of two moods: the agitated running notes and then, the calmer, poetic, sad middle section. If you only have the agitated passages and not the middle section, the spirit is lost. 

Well, I started piano lessons on Wednesday.  We spent the whole hour on Consolation No 3.  If we work on FI next Wed, I'll revive the FI thread and post a video sharing what I learned in my lesson with everyone.  Perhaps you can do that, too.  Share what you learned in your FI lesson with all of us on the FI thread either by just saying it in a post or in a video. And, of course, post your FI there again.  I'll let you know if I do that and you can join us again on that thread.

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 05:02:02 AM
Sure! Gonna do that. My teacher stopped teaching me that piece, and instead working on some boring exam pieces. Oh well, but still I can share what I learnt from my teacher last time.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 06:25:45 AM
So what grade exam pieces are you learning?

Offline twirler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:12 AM
Grade 5 xP. Got one piece down, two to go.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 06:19:12 PM
Funny that you're preparing for a Grade 5 exam after playing FI, which is above Gr 8!!  But your Gr 5 pieces should seem super easy after FI!  You've very talented and young. All the best in your exams.  What is xP?

If I revive the FI thread next week, I'll let you know here so you can join us in the Student's Corner. I'm going to have to start my FI all over again.  I put it on vacation for the last 3 plus weeks.  I was only playing certain passages that were difficult for me, like the octaves and the last page.  I'm hoping to do FI for my next lesson.  If I do, I'll most definitely re-start the FI thread with what I learned during my lesson because I'll begin practicing it all over again and post practice videos. Since you're on your own for the middle section of FI, you can join us on the thread for that section and give us tips on how you play the allegro section so brilliantly. 

I'll be back ....
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert