Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Franz Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 in D flat major - Enzo (NEW)  (Read 8065 times)

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member

Hello!!! ;D  . . . .
About a year ago we posted Enzo's 1st attempt of this piece by Liszt and frankly his being a "kid" playing the piece showed. 

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=40428.0

About 2-3 weeks ago he restarted practicing the piece again for a piano festival at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP). I was surprised at the way he reinterpreted the piece .... what a difference a year makes in terms of maturity.

We will be grateful for any comment.

NOTES posted at YT -
This piece by Liszt is one "bravura" piece which always generates excited applause even among those not familiar with classical piano pieces. Lorenzo played this during the PASINAYA 2012 festival at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP).

PASINAYA is sort an "open house" for all art events from music, painting, movie, literature to dance where for less than 50 cents (Php 20.00) one can enjoy everything for one whole day. Established and rising Filipino artists are invited by the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) to perform or show their works.  It is one fantastic day attended by thousands, especially the young.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
What to say? Grace, elegance, virtuositiy but in a restraint, refined way ....It' s hard to believe the Rhapsody i is played by such a young pianist. What a brilliant talent!!! Thanks for sharing, Emill... :) :) :) :) :)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Hey Emill...

A few quick things before I head off to work. In the C# major section (I think it's C# off the top of my head (after the first cadenza). Make this piece more busy and light - think of a faster speed which will give it more character and cheek.

As for the Bb minor section with slow LH melodies - these need to sound more improvised and a little looser with the metre. Try to think more sporadic a little, and play the melody with more surprise and suspense.

Hope that helps for now. The ending half sounds good.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Hi emill,

I've never played the Hungarian Rhapsodies, so cannot speak from direct experience in this music.  I did enjoy listening and believe that this is an improved rendition as compared to the initial effort.  The opening is played in a decisive declaratory manner.  Enzo plays with fine control over touch and dynamics throughout, and plays the bravura sections seemingly with ease.  I liked too his execution of the double-handed octaves in the coda.  Very impressive!

I noticed that the audience there was quite talkative, although it didn't distract Enzo at all.  Is that typical of classical music audiences there, or unusual?  For me, I'd have to try to get used to that!  And when they applauded during the coda, I was a bit surprised.  I imagine that it's just a case of different customs in different parts of the world.

Congrats to Enzo on his fine playing!  I could tell from his smile when he took his bow that he was happy with his performance.

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Hello Marg!
I am sure Enzo feels so good about your comments as he has told me often that "appreciation" makes all the effort more fun and worthwhile.  From me, a BIG THANKS!

Hi P_p !!!!
As usual, comments generated from our posts here in PS produce a good amount of discussion between Enzo and his teacher (I also forward comments to teacher) and I would like to thank you for your time and effort.  I would wish though, if possible that more  in PS would would give comments as these would give Enzo or any poster a wider perspective and interpretation, whether the comment is positive or negative.  THANKS again! ;D

Hello David!!
YES the audience was "noisy and unruly"!! :( >:(  though during this time a FORGIVABLE behavior.  Let me explain ....  this was played during the PASINAYA festival, a one-day, open house thing in terms of the arts here in Manila.  For just 50 cents you can enjoy everything like a concert of the Philippine PHilharmonic Orchestra, ballet, modern dance, piano, violin, folk and tribal dances, choral singing ETC.... for one whole day..... 8 am and 8 pm.  This was started many years back to open the classics to the public and to shed its elitist air.  Every year attendance has been swelling and for this year almost 100 thousand attended the various activities.  The audience therefore is the common man, the man on the street and not the concert goer.

Enzo played a few pieces ..... Liebestraume No.3, Un Sospiro, this Hungarian Rhapsody and the La Campanella-like, Souvenir de Filipinas which were applauded at the beginning, midway and at the end whenever the audience felt excited.   ;D I would say that the audience who attended the PASINAYA were mostly teens and young adults .....  a good sign I think.  Every year my level of irritation and anger goes down a bit ..... this year, almost zero!! ;D

THANKS for all the encouragement you have given Enzo.  I am happy you liked his playing.

stephen

btw David, P-P and Marg ....  may I invite you to watch this where you will appreciate how "wild" the audience response was during this presentation at the main concert hall where operas and symphonies are presented.... hehhee... really wild!!!  Thanks again.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert