Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Earth speaks  (Read 1966 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Earth speaks
on: April 01, 2012, 02:45:53 AM
An Earth hour 2012 meditation.  Recorded in complete darkness with the H4n. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Earth speaks
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 09:58:24 AM
A dark piece recorded in darkness! really powerful stuff, I love your style, how i wish i could improvise like this sometimes! excellent

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:16 AM
Thanks for listening chopinatic.  I believe you do have it in you, having listening to your recent post.  Sometimes those doubts we have about our playing can be turned into fruitful musical adventures. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:51 PM
Thanks for listening chopinatic.  I believe you do have it in you, having listening to your recent post.  Sometimes those doubts we have about our playing can be turned into fruitful musical adventures.  

Very Wise Words! VWW! :)

And a very wise improv! A lot in this is about rhythm, perhaps you caught some of our mother earth's rhythms? I think you really did!! In my mind some parts of it connect in some way to m1469's legendary, incredible, wonderful "Stampede" improv, which explores intensely the deep volcanic layers of the earth!!  

All the planets and their inner layers are (in my perception) in some (poly-)rhythmic and proportional interaction with each other. We just need to listen to them! :) We are happy, as musicians. We don't have to "prove" anything, we can "just" (well, of course this 'just' is actually not that easy, it's rather existential!) *listen* to the rhythm, and sound, and harmony/disharmony of the cosmos, and play it! :)

Fascinating!

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:06 PM
I enjoyed this a lot. There was a particularly striking change somewhere in the first couple of minutes where you created a stark contrast between some harsh chords and went straight into an open 9th (two fifths on top of each other, I guess that's an example of some sort of quartal inversion, if that's the way you were thinking about it at the time).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert