Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: your top 3 members of this forum  (Read 2423 times)

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
your top 3 members of this forum
on: April 05, 2012, 05:42:39 PM
Hi
 Who are your top 3 members of this forum?
I mean the most useful comments of these guys which help me a lot
My list is
1.Bernhard
2.marik
3. Walter Ramsey
Maybe there are others which I don't know
Than you

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: your top 3 members of this forum
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:04:00 AM
For me Pianostreet is a community where people take according to need and contribute according to ability, covering a colossal variety of musical taste. Therefore I find myself unable to consistently rank its members.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:21:39 AM
Dear Ted
I want to know them and read their post selectively.because there are huge number of members and posts in pianostreet. I don't want to disturb anyone , sorry.
Thank you

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:32:27 AM
That is just my opinion, drazh, purely personal, and I am sure others will not hesitate to post their lists of favourites.

Instead of ranking, I shall simply state why I value a few prominent members, each of whom possesses musical attributes I lamentably lack to some extent or other.

I admire rachfan's interpretive insights into the late romantic repertoire, his knowledge of technical matters, music in general and his reverence for a certain type of musical expression and tradition now all too rarely found.

I enjoy m1469's constantly challenging me with her original musico-philosophical conundrums I wouldn't have the imagination to conceive, never mind solve.

I admire Wolfi's musical broadmindedness, easy-going nature and devotion to music, which actually conceals a cast-iron discipline capable of working on things like Styx until completion, and overcoming serious physical issues to play difficult piano music beautifully no matter the time or effort involved.

Derek I have known longer than anyone here, and he has the unswerving courage to stick to his own musical experience, "listen to the little song within him", that which he knows is true, if necessary against the entire body of external musical opinion.

Thal's earthy British humour, my kind of humour, disguises an obviously immense and serious knowledge of scores and older music, which I imagine is in fact pretty rare.

It is all but impossible to listen to an improvisation by quantum without emerging musically richer, without perceiving a glimpse of the true vastness of expression possible from eighty-eight sounds and ten fingers.

Will those six do for starters ? And yes, there are most certainly others. But no way will I ever rank anybody.  

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:20:26 AM
dear ted
thanks for your useful reply.i searched for rachfan post .most of his recent posts are i audition room they far beyond my level. but for others i will search
thank you

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:18:21 AM
i'm pretty special, mainly becuase i'm considered quite the expert in my own opinion. oh and my comments are worth what is paid for them.

and i bring stuff like this to the table

lol "...i would smack you, but in Germany we don't hit little girls..."  ;D

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:15:32 AM
I also wouldn't want to do a ranking. I somehow notice that I am instinctly giving extra Nicks to my favorite ones, in my thoughts, like "Goldy", "Teddy", "Bobby" "Furty" "Tuny" or "Maylita" :)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:06:48 PM
Well, the topic does say "your" top three members, and for me with my constrained focus on improvisation this is a very easy choice.

1) Ted, the resident guru of free improvisation. I met him here back in 2002, and he has been consistently generous with his insight on setting oneself free with improvisation for ten years now. I've probably progressed beyond that point where I really need all that much guidance, but continued correspondence and reading his words here on this site and listening to his astounding and beautiful tapestries of improvisation always keep me focused on finding my own voice in improv.

2) Quantum, who taught me that it is possible to be humble but have genuine fascination with sounds that used to make me paint with a broad brush about modern music. In addition, his incredible breadth of style often intersects with sounds and feelings I like to find in my own music.

3) Chopinatic, with whom I probably feel the strongest musical affinity here, improv wise. Listening to his improvisations is always inspiring and encouraging, and have often brought me out of slumps.

Obviously there are many other members whose music and words have inspired me as well (pianowolfi, mayla, rachfan, nightscape (who hasn't been here in years :( ), etc. etc.), but I can't imagine that it would offend anyone to see each other's rankings. In other words, I hope the affirmation that individuals feel from the friendships we have formed here are more important than whether one's name shows up in 10 other people's rankings.  Some individuals have probably had an impact on MORE people, like bernhard, for example, but since I personally haven't been working all that hard at traditional pianism, he's had less of an affect on me.

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:23:02 PM
Only 3?  :-\ :-\ :-\ My list is much muhc longer.....

Well, I'll mention only the first one, both in chronological and rank order: the disappeared, acutely missed, unforgotten BERNHARD!!!!

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:41:54 PM
I think everyone on this forum is nice but you did say three of them well let's see

1. m1469
2.Littletune
3.tombowler

I haven't seen tombowler on here for quite some time.
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 06:48:44 PM
I do not have a top 3, and outside of the improvisation community my knowlege is little. However, There are different peoples opinions I listen to and value.

Teds knowlege is astounding, he has helped me many times
Dereks imput is always excellent and his improvisations were often my inspiration during my journey
Pianowolfi, Quantum, m1469 and Furtwaengler are all great improvisers
Thalberg mads score vault and knowlege is incredible
Rachfan also has some great posts well worth looking into.

These are just some people I personally would recommend based on my needs and uses for the forum! but there are many interesting helpful posts so its well worth trolling through them all :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 09:19:14 PM
Wow! thanks Rose!  :) You're really nice!!  :)  8)
I really couldn't choose only three members... there's so many cool and nice people here!!!!!  8)  :)  8) love you Pianostreet people!  :-*  :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 09:22:06 PM
Wow! thanks Rose!  :) You're really nice!!  :)  8)
I really couldn't choose only three members... there's so many cool and nice people here!!!!!  8)  :)  8) love you Pianostreet people!  :-*  :)

That reminds me of that facebook group "pianostreet people" *looks if it's still there*

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 09:34:13 PM
I didn't know there was a facebook group like that!!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 09:37:03 PM
I didn't know there was a facebook group like that!!

It's still there but most of it's members have disappeared from the forum.

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 12:05:08 AM
Your so welcome littletune I have alot of people I like on here but the ones I really think are so sweet and kind are you m1469 and tombowler.
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 05:31:17 AM
Why would you post this to alienate members?  I'm sorry, but I think this post is rubbish and makes no sense to post this.  So, if one of the top three isn't mentioned, we're all downgraded to useless?  That's what I'm getting out of this post.  This is not a forum to "grade" posters.
I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Don't touch my shirt!  Coined by yours truly, flyinfingers

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 05:39:08 AM
By the way, how could you not mention the mentors who have spent numerous hours helping people perfect their pieces and give their time and their instructions!  That would be invaluable to me, if I were the one being helped -- and I did learn from them!  We all know who you are and I'm NOT going to mention names because I would be a hypocrite.

Also, it would be "WHO ARE" not "what is."  People are not things and is a plural noun.
Case in point:
I see you made Enrique feel like he doesn't contribute much.    
I think you're great, Enrique!  Now, show me your abs! ;D ;D ;D
I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Don't touch my shirt!  Coined by yours truly, flyinfingers

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 01:40:24 PM
By the way, how could you not mention the mentors who have spent numerous hours helping people perfect their pieces and give their time and their instructions!  That would be invaluable to me, if I were the one being helped -- and I did learn from them!  We all know who you are and I'm NOT going to mention names because I would be a hypocrite.

Also, it would be "WHO ARE" not "what is."  People are not things and is a plural noun.
Case in point:
I see you made Enrique feel like he doesn't contribute much.    
I think you're great, Enrique!  Now, show me your abs! ;D ;D ;D

i really didn't think anyone was going to actually try and list folks, really i just thought it'd get a couple posts and die, color me suprised when i turned around and saw so many hits....was just having some fun with it, light hearted sarcasm, really no worries at all, i do think you made some good points about what exactly the post does in the end, i think the community as a whole benefits from everyone's input, even the ones we care not for, serious, silly, profound, etc. it's all good.
as for my abs, i guess i i can show off a bit, but truth be told this only the 3rd time in my life someone has asked to se  my anti lock braking system

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 06:00:29 PM
HA!   :D

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 06:25:58 AM
Why would you post this to alienate members?  I'm sorry, but I think this post is rubbish and makes no sense to post this.  So, if one of the top three isn't mentioned, we're all downgraded to useless?  That's what I'm getting out of this post.  This is not a forum to "grade" posters.
Hi
This forum is for learning and we don't know each other but a nickname.
Please don't be disturbed .
Thank you

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 11:43:31 AM
oh. in that case
1. opium_64
2. opium_64
3. opium_64

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 03:15:43 PM
I guess we all have our favourites, but I don't see the value of telling everyone else who they are.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 06:38:48 PM
I guess we all have our favourites, but I don't see the value of telling everyone else who they are.

Thal
Dear thal
Don't you want to help me know them and read their posts.
Is there anything wrong with that?
Thank you

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 05:40:03 AM
Hi
This forum is for learning and we don't know each other but a nickname.
Please don't be disturbed .
Thank you
Yes, and you can do a search and not disturb anyone while doing so.  You're wrong to say that we all don't know each other.  We all connect with people on this forum in different ways.  If it wasn't at least emotionally gratifying in some way, then why would we post?

I, personally, wouldn't even think of posting something like this.  People are sensitive, man or woman.  I guess this is why I love my dog!

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 05:43:05 AM
oh. in that case
1. opium_64
2. opium_64
3. opium_64

a clear winner.

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 05:47:21 AM
a clear winner.
Okay.  I'll be a hypocrite. AJ you have given your heart and soul to this forum!  If no one else appreciates you, I do!  You have a passion and love for music that motivates everyone!
Everyone else is an asset no matter who you are!  I see the hundreds and hundreds of members.   We're all winners for posting and not lurking!  We ALL bring something different to the table like Thal said.  I get personal because that's my personality.  Some people are strictly business!

Hey, Thal, My new piece is The Miller and the Brook (English translation) a transcription by Thalberg from a Schubert piece! My teacher loved it and she made me put in the counting, which I also loved!   No one wanted to teach me to count again, which I think is essential!
She's so excited that I brought her a Thalberg piece -- thanks for introducing me to this composer!  I really like it and I like Gottschalk too, and that's on my wish list!

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 06:06:12 AM
Okay.  I'll be a hypocrite. AJ you have given your heart and soul to this forum!  If no one else appreciates you, I do!  You have a passion and love for music that motivates everyone!

I get back what I put in tenfold - and I'm inclined to think I'm on the lower end of the experience mill here.

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 06:09:54 AM
Okay.  Would you feel better if I include Birba?  He's done a lot to help others in regard to the instructions on pieces (which was my main point to begin with)!  I could not begin to list all the others that they've had to offer.
At least we all sleep well at night.  That's what my Dad used to say.   :(  miss him!

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 12:02:33 PM
Yes, and you can do a search and not disturb anyone while doing so.  wasn't at least emotionally gratifying in some way,
Hi

There are more than 70000 member of this forum .is it possible to search ? I don't have that time. If you don't want to help just don't click on this topic .and let people help each other
Thank you

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 12:14:00 AM
Hi

There are more than 70000 member of this forum .is it possible to search ? I don't have that time. If you don't want to help just don't click on this topic .and let people help each other
Thank you

I strongly encourage you, and everyone else, to read posts by Thal that are no longer than a single line.

^it brightens my day, daily.

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 03:10:48 AM
I strongly encourage you, and everyone else, to read posts by Thal that are no longer than a single line.

^it brightens my day, daily.
Thanks

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 02:47:04 PM

Thal
My 3 favorites:
Thalbergmad
Thalbergmad
Thalbergmad

;D
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 03:14:32 PM
Hi
Birba & hmoll & Robert henry 's  posts were also very useful
Thank you

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 07:14:11 PM
My 3 favorites:
Thalbergmad
Thalbergmad
Thalbergmad

;D

I subscribe!!!!!!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 07:39:50 PM
My favourites are all female and pretty.

Not that I am influenced by such things.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 08:06:22 PM
See why we are crazy for Thal?  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 05:04:53 AM
See why we are crazy for Thal?  :-* :-* :-* :-*
for thal or his favourites?

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 06:38:58 PM
Hi
I just. Want to thank pianowolfi and quantum for their great posts.they are really helpful
Thank you
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert