Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Grade 7 Theory: Melodic Compositions In Modern Styles  (Read 3524 times)

Offline cantabile83

• PS Silver Member
Can anyone please share with me some tips for composing melody in modern styles. I'm currently working on the composition section which is part of the Grade 7 Theory.

Understand that modern ways of composition does not really have a fixed guidelines/steps to follow, as it should be very free & doesnt really have fixed tonality. However, I've tried a few attempts to compose modern styles melody but it seems that there's shadow of Classical elements in it e.g. scale sequences, regular time value,  obvious tonality, etc. - these are the feedback I got from my teacher. So I'm trying to improve on this section.

Appreciate your sharing, thanks lot!!!

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grade 7 Theory: Melodic Compositions In Modern Styles
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:09 AM
you could consider putting yourself in a tonality that was not commonly used in earlier periods - use patterns based on whole tone and diminished scales as the key center for example..

or centre yourself on a less common major scale mode - dorian or lydian? phryg if you like something more discordant...

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert