Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Looking for Feedback on Improvised Piano Pieces  (Read 2122 times)

Offline blackmedia

• PS Silver Member
Looking for Feedback on Improvised Piano Pieces
on: May 09, 2012, 10:26:07 PM
Hi there everyone,

My name is Sunny and I'm new to this piano forum. I've been looking for a place to find other pianists and get their feedback on my improvisational work. So if anyone has the time, please lend your ear and let me know what you think.

Thanks so much for listening in advance. This is Episode 2 from my series called The Perfect Note.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking for Feedback on Improvised Piano Pieces
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:38:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Sunny. We have a vital core of positive and encouraging improvisers here, in many different traditional and personal idioms. I like the clarity and purpose of your phrasing, that is the first thing I notice. We'll see what the others have to say. How long have you been improvising ? Do you write anything out ? Please tell us a little of your background and musical direction.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:01:30 AM
Hi Sunny, this is really good. You play with a lot of power and have a superb sense of melody. I liked how you rolled some of the chords in the bass. Some might say your music has that "contemporary" or "new age" sound (though, in my opinion, your music has more force than I typically associate with those styles). However, I prefer to think of it simply as "modal." I often prefer to play in a modal style.

Welcome to pianostreet and I really hope you stick around and keep sharing. I've been on this site for almost ten years now and have learned an immense amount from correspondence and friendships with people here (mostly about improvisation, in my case!). It's a great learning environment unfettered by academic shoulds and should nots.

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:23:18 AM
I recorded this not too long ago, I think the style intersects with yours on many levels---so let this be my musical welcome to you.  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert