Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Who's your favorite person on pianostreet?  (Read 10147 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Who's your favorite person on pianostreet?
on: June 04, 2012, 04:01:46 PM
Mine is J_menz
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Who's your favorite person on pianostreet?
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:33:49 PM

Hmm... Let me think of a politically correct reply... hmm... The Administrator, of course... ;D

P.S.: Although I do have "favorites" here (mainly judging by the quality of their posts or the good humor thererin), I'd rather keep that for myself. I am sure they know without me explicitly telling them.

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:48 PM
https://www.pianostreet.com/scriabin-sheet-music/

Oh my god I love Scriabin!

However, it's a good thing he died early; otherwise, he would have ended the world!

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:21:39 PM

However, it's a good thing he died early; otherwise, he would have ended the world!
makes you wonder what kind of sexual shinanigans he would have started to get the whole thing going, who knows perhaps a yet unwritten piece would have summoned an army of these things

calling fourth a succubus or two (or thousands +) aside, he's my favorite pianostreet cat. the music is rad.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:24:40 AM
Mine is J_menz

:-[ :D 8) :o :D

Why thank you young Sir.  There are a number of people I like here, for various reasons, and I find it impossible to name just one, but rest assured you are certainly in their number.

Haha, is he beating Rachmaninoff in you affections just yet?  As to the end of the world, given he was a much better dreamer and composer than actual organiser of anything, even if he had lived to a spectacularly ripe old age I doubt he'd have got around to ending the world. Booking places in the Himalayas has been quite difficult at times.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:37:31 AM

Haha, is he beating Rachmaninoff in you affections just yet?

Nah, whenever I feel like a composer is potentially beating rachmaninoff, I listen to the Rach 3 and it reminds me why Rachmaninoff is my favorite every time.  I never get desensitized by his works!  I would much rather learn a Rachmninoff concerto, or sonata over any Scriabin work. 

However, Scriabin is my #2, but not by far!  I think he's the only composer who I like every single work?  I've really been feeling his 5th, 7th, 8th, and 9th sonatas lately!  And I've always loved his orchestral works, especially his Poems and Mysterium!  Too bad he died, so his Mysterium is incomplete, but then he would have ended the world!  But ANYWAYS, the 9th sonata has been on my radar for quite some time now.  I've been screwing around with it for the past few days and I'm gonna see if my teacher will let me learn it.

And then there's Carl Vine!  I just discovered him recently!  He's a contemporary composer and he's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!  You should listen to him!  His first sonata and piano concerto are pretty good, but you can only find them on YouTube.  He has another piano concerto and two more sonatas but since like nobody knows about him and the music was released like three minutes ago, so there's no recording.   :(

AND THEN there's...  Just kidding!  ;D

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 04:40:40 AM
And then there's Carl Vine!  I just discovered him recently!  He's a contemporary composer and he's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!  You should listen to him!  His first sonata and piano concerto are pretty good, but you can only find them on YouTube.  He has another piano concerto and two more sonatas but since like nobody knows about him and the music was released like three minutes ago, so there's no recording.   :(
There's a recording of the other 2 sonatas recently released. It's available from amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-Boren-Plays-Carl-Vine/dp/B006ME56VQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1

Haven't heard Benjamin Boren play anything, so can't vouch for the quality.  Carl Vine is an Australian composer, so his works get a reasonable playing here.  Not exactly a household name, but certainly a big name in musical circles here. I've been lucky enough to see some of his works performed. None of the piano ones, though.

The second piano concerto hasn't been recorded yet. In fact, it hasn't been performed yet. The world premier is on 22nd August at the Sydney Opera House.

Haha, I just bet you're not.  ;)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:34:33 PM
I rather liked j_menz too, until the troll came.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 12:18:53 AM
I rather liked j_menz too, until the troll came.

But the troll rather liked you too, until you committed trollicide.  :'(

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:26:19 AM
the troll rather liked you too..

..seems unlikely given that the troll tried to provoke me with his unfathomable powers of infuriation.

to the OP -

for the sheer wealth of knowledge provided, some kind of bernhard/marik combo

for sense of humour, thal.

there's no way it can be reduced to a single person. there are a great many I would consider friends, and I have no interest in rating them.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 01:43:22 AM
unfathomable powers of infuriation.

Now that's a secret superpower I'd like to have.  8)

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 06:44:16 AM
Is it bad that I'd done 99 of them before pre-school (or breakfast today)?  :-[

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 09:59:47 AM

Thalbegmad, Littletune, Birba, Furtwangler, Pianowolfi... So hard to choose only one  :)

Offline wildman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 10:49:39 AM
Nah, whenever I feel like a composer is potentially beating rachmaninoff, I listen to the Rach 3 and it reminds me why Rachmaninoff is my favorite every time.  I never get desensitized by his works!  I would much rather learn a Rachmninoff concerto, or sonata over any Scriabin work. 

Man, I share your fan syndromes pretty well too.

As for me, it's Art Tatum.  :-\ I am really MAINLY a classical musician, but I don't know why I'm so easily addicted to his music. Perhaps because of all the romanticizing of him, always presses on my head that he's somehow the greatest musician who ever lived, not even Mozart can compare (BTW Dave Brubeck actually said this  :-[).

Whenever I feel a pianist is potentially beating his technical abilities I listen to his most aggressive recording of Tiger Rag. Whenever I feel an improviser is beating him musically, I listen to his most astounding recording of "Tea for Two". I find it difficult to get out of this fanboy sickness, lol.  ???

He is really an incredible musician, but I try to remind myself that there are other godlike musicians too. Beethoven, for instance - or like you, Rachmaninoff. Or Liszt's Transcendental Etudes...or...what?   :D

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 05:48:34 PM
Thalbegmad, Littletune, Birba, Furtwangler, Pianowolfi... So hard to choose only one  :)

Heeey Pianist1976! I am happy to see you back!! :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 07:06:39 PM
Man, I share your fan syndromes pretty well too.

As for me, it's Art Tatum.  :-\ I am really MAINLY a classical musician, but I don't know why I'm so easily addicted to his music.

Someone introduced me to him two days ago, and he's soooooooooooooo good!!!!!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 12:06:03 AM

Haha, I just bet you're not.  ;)

Someone introduced me to him two days ago, and he's soooooooooooooo good!!!!!

;D  See, I was right!  8)

Offline jesc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 01:15:49 AM
There are many well-meaning people in pianostreet. Unfortunately, some of them feed the trolls. I can expose part of the troll's lies but made the mistake of assuming the community will follow up on it.

If there's a user in pianostreet who's not so jaded, and is not afraid to go down the gutter to stomp on the trolls when they're exposed then he/she will be my favorite user.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 09:01:27 AM
Thalbegmad
I've never known him to beg...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:39 AM
Heeey Pianist1976! I am happy to see you back!! :)

Thanks!!! Nice to see you  :D

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 10:27:14 AM
Yes!  Where have you been?  

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 03:58:40 PM

I should ask you the same question and you're one of my favorite people.  Not just on PS but anywhere and everywhere.  You're one of the nicest people on the planet!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 05:13:53 PM
Jeez, I should have mentioned more people.  :-\

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 09:20:50 AM

Hi, Birba! I've been living under a stone, like Patrick Star  ;D No, just kidding. I decided to stay away from forums in order to have a little more time to practice. And I was furious with this forum's staff (admin, moderators...) because of their permissive attitude with rude behaviours. I was insulted by (I can't remember his name) that poor boy who obsessively asked if it was too late for him to start an international carreer. Administration did nothing, I gave him the answer I thought he deserved and... magic... all the thread was deleted, including my reply, and that boy wasn't banned. I don't care a damn about that stupid boy but I felt that I was losing my time so I went away.

But a few weeks ago I returned to the Audition Room to listen and took a tour to the rest of the forum and saw that the great forum member Marik was back so I said, what the heck? Someone came back after leaving the forum so why not do it. At least I wanted to say hello to the nice people of this forum  :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 01:55:58 PM

Wow Thanks so much for mentioning me too!!!  :)  8)  8) and I'm glad you're back!  :)

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 06:52:06 PM
My favourites on PianoStreet are in no particular order -

Birba -LittleTune-Costacina-CandlelightPiano -Enrique-and of course Me.  I like that funny one as well -Trallimmberg or some name like that -oh you know the one that posts about silly things.

When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 08:51:18 PM
My favourites on PianoStreet are in no particular order -

Birba -LittleTune-Costacina-CandlelightPiano -Enrique-and of course Me.  I like that funny one as well -Trallimmberg or some name like that -oh you know the one that posts about silly things.

Thanks, Starstruck, and of course you're on my list of favorites too, along with and also in no particular order, Birba, AJSpiano, Costicina, Enrique and Littletune.  

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 10:38:48 AM
@ starstruck5 and candlelightpiano, you guys are too nice. i'm nothing special, but it feels nice to be liked. i like you guys too. thanks!

this place if full of cool interesting people, now mind you some peeps are seems 'cooler' to some than others but it would be an awefully dull place without the mix.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert