Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Extremist Laws!  (Read 1674 times)

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Extremist Laws!
on: July 03, 2012, 07:12:13 PM
I read something about a 14 year old lad from Norwich -Kien Ingate -being banned from practising his acoustic -which I think barbaric -because this has also happened to me -but is this story for real???

https://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_33137.shtml

::) :-X >:( >:( >:(

A bit harsh don't you think????!!!!!!
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline pianoyutube

• PS Silver Member
Re: Extremist Laws!
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:51:04 PM
I've been reading the story, in several newspapers, and it is real. But I don't know the veredict of the judge, because there's no information on the Internet about this.
I think the pianist has not been condemned. It would be a shocking headline on the newspapaers.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:27:04 AM
Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!  If someone did that to me, I would counter sue them, their family, and friends for all of their possessions for wasting my time.  If that girl went to jail, her life would be over; no playing piano for seven years?  

I would do everything in my power to ruin that persons life.  Probably tie her to a chair all day every day and force her to listen to my Bach.  Yeah, that'll drive anyone to suicide!  Good riddance... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:39:29 AM
Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!  If someone did that to me, I would counter sue them, their family, and friends for all of their possessions for wasting my time.  If that girl went to jail, her life would be over; no playing piano for seven years?

Ah, the difference between Europe and the US in a nutshell.  ::)

Tie her to a chair all day every day and force her to listen to my Bach.  

One way of making sure you get your daily dose in, then.  ;D But seriously, it can't be that bad... :-\
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:47:16 AM
But seriously, it can't be that bad... :-\

Fine then I'll make her listen to late Scriabin for the rest of her life.  That'll DEFINITELY make her go crazy.  I would say Rachmaninoff, but you can NEVER get enough of Rachmaninoff!  That would be like heaven!

I also heard of a lawsuit where person A killed person B with his car.  Person B was crossing the street or something and person A ran her over.  Person A sued person B's family for the damage done to his car.

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:25:20 PM
Fine then I'll make her listen to late Scriabin for the rest of her life.  That'll DEFINITELY make her go crazy.  I would say Rachmaninoff, but you can NEVER get enough of Rachmaninoff!  That would be like heaven!

I also heard of a lawsuit where person A killed person B with his car.  Person B was crossing the street or something and person A ran her over.  Person A sued person B's family for the damage done to his car.

Thal would recommend Schummann for the maximum puinishment for the tied up person -I am not so sure -Hanon would be my poison -

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 04:51:06 PM
This is probably the poor kid you mentioned:

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/video_teenage_musician_could_be_banned_from_practising_piano_1_834397

:'( :'( :'(

Too much Bach and Hanon will shorten my life, for sure!!!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19:31 PM
Too much Bach

Surely there's no such thing.  :o
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 03:13:09 AM
Surely there's no such thing.  :o

There's no such thing as too much Scriabin, Rachmaninoff, or Carl Vine!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 03:29:35 AM
There's no such thing as too much Scriabin, Rachmaninoff, or Carl Vine!

*notes order of listing*  ;)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 07:06:27 AM
Ah, the difference between Europe and the US in a nutshell.  ::)

Actually in Europe usually things end up being rather rational when laws are applied. I don't live in Spain, but I would bet that this story made a good healine put in the end there will be no jail time.

Criminal policy in most European countries tries to avoid putting people in prison as far as possible simply because it is very costly to the society. In the US the belief in the deterrence effect of prison is a lot higher. In Europe the sentences for minor crimes are almost always "conditional", which means the person doesn't actually go to prison.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 08:08:54 AM
BTW. I have done some research on this subject since I live in an apartment with less than good sound proofing and I really want to get a grand piano. I would also have a digital for “raw practice” which I agree can be really annoying and also night time practice (which I do a lot). I now have a silent upright, I usually play acoustic max 1 hour a day, more on weekends.

There are no exact laws here (Finland), but in general making music as a hobby/study is considered normal living activity and legal as long as the amount of playing is reasonable (if I remember correctly the court has considered up to 4 hours a day reasonable, as long as it’s not during the 'quiet hours' which are usually determined by the housing company).

There are at least 2 cases that went to higher court:
- A piano student practiced in her apartment day time causing trouble with the neighbor. In response the neighbors started playing recorded music extremely loud when she practiced. The neighbors were sentenced to a fine since their conduct was considered malice, while the pianist was just making music without intent to disturb anyone.
- A young girl practiced grand piano in an apartment 6-7 hours a day, also between 8-10pm. The family was evicted. The higher court decided that this was appropriate due to the huge amount of playing time, not due to piano playing itself being illegal.

If playing was only allowed in remote housing units, I guess not many kids would become pianists and the rest of us would need to suffer a life without an acoustic piano. If it ever goes that far I guess I would just have to stop working and move with my piano to our summer house which really is in the middle of nowhere :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 02:29:57 PM
Jeez, if you don't want to bother the neighbors, just play some Rachmaninoff or Scriabin!

Offline sueyin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 03:49:27 AM
Too much Bach and Hanon will shorten my life, for sure!!!

I agree!

The UK also sounds terrible!  Almost as bad as Spain!  And to think I wanted to live in the UK a few years ago after reading Harry Potter books.  I think I just grew up and changed my mind.  I feel sorry for the boy.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 12:56:50 AM
Jeez, if you don't want to bother the neighbors, just play some Rachmaninoff or Scriabin!

But if you do, practice some Rachmaninoff or Scriabin.

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 02:37:56 PM
I would love to play Rachmaninoff -but if I do I risk being served with a Court Injunction -I been listening to that song -Rebel Rebel and We're Not Going To Take it -and I am getting fired up tired of being dictated to -Watch this space.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert