Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: the audition room, is it for human performances only?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
there seems to lately have been more 'computer' performances of original compositions on the audition board (and i believe some inthe past too).

is it the right place for it? i mean i think i would feel better if the composer or another actual person interpreted and played the score but i don't like these digital performances, i.e. score realized by computer. i mean it's not an actual performance so does this type of stuff belong on the audition board? should it be in the repertoire board?

just curious. i'm not going to yell at someone for posting their stuff but it hardly seems the like the appropriate place unless there are actual hands on a piano (acoustic or digi).

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: the audition room, is it for human performances only?
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:12:11 AM
Perhaps a solution would be to have a separate "Compositions" board?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:24:06 AM
is it the right place for it?

No... I don't mind a person playing a digital keyboard... but if they used a computer to play a midi, or change a note, then I consider it invalid, and it shouldn't be uploaded.

Offline synthifou

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:53 AM
One doesn't need to play piano at all to write a piece of music, especially these days with the assistance of music software capable of playback and easy manipulation at the composers discretion. 

If that is the case, or if they play but write beyond their technical abilities, I'm not really bothered by it.  In fact, I usually listen to them anyway out of curiosity.  This being a piano forum, however, doing the same for non-piano compositions may seem out of place; then again, it's not typically something that will ruin my day.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:09:09 AM
No... I don't mind a person playing a digital keyboard... but if they used a computer to play a midi, or change a note, then I consider it invalid, and it shouldn't be uploaded.
yeah  that was my point. im not saying the 'sound' being digital was the deal just that a software program playing a 'realized' score rather than someone actually playing some keyboard instrument.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:12:07 AM
One doesn't need to play piano at all to write a piece of music, especially these days with the assistance of music software capable of playback and easy manipulation at the composers discretion. 

If that is the case, or if they play but write beyond their technical abilities, I'm not really bothered by it.  In fact, I usually listen to them anyway out of curiosity.  This being a piano forum, however, doing the same for non-piano compositions may seem out of place; then again, it's not typically something that will ruin my day.
again please don't misunderstand and read what was not said/typed. it isn't the original composition or even that the score wasn't performed by the poster, just that a genuine question was asked that if it being in the audition room boards is the most appropriate place. i.e would the repertoire board be it? the improv sub /child board? the misc? board.

again thanks for joining the discussion i've been wanting to flesh this out for a while and all the input and different takes on the matter is great. no one is saying we don't want these music works to listen to, the original question is as simple as , is the audition board for human being's performance of music on the keyboards only?

no one's upset or anything (not me at least, and i hope no one else, just curious really)

Offline synthifou

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:27:03 AM
Oh, I gotcha, my apologies.

Then j_menz's idea for a compsition board would be perfect, in fact, I think that has been brought up before reading though the older archives.  On the audition board makes no sense, whatsoever.

Improv or misc may be OK in the meantime (although still not great), but I doubt the repertoire board as it would get too cluttery with that sort of thing for people trying to discuss the topics appropriate there.  Also, I recall reading about 'best/worst' type of threads there being ejected and placed into 'polls' instead.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 06:14:53 PM
There were discussions some time ago that asked for a composition board.  Non-human recordings could be a possibility for such board.  It would give a much clearer directive to those interested in computer generated performance to discuss the particulars of that art.  As well it would allow people to share their compositions for discussion. 

Having computer generated recordings housed in the improvisation board would feel a bit off the subject.  I would think improvisation to encompass spontaneous creation and performance, or at least have elements of such in the music. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:30:15 AM
Well, I went one stage further a while back and posted some fugues in the audition room composed and played by a computer program I wrote. I wonder where on earth that would go in any proposed scheme of things. In general, I am in favour of having as few divisions and classifications as possible without producing too much of a jumble. In any case, editing of sound files to "improve" performance seems the professional norm these days, so much of what we buy on CDs isn't completely human anyway.

I just don't know if further division would benefit members or not. Speaking for myself, I rarely play my own compositions the same way twice in succession, and stick in new improvised things all over the place within them. So deciding between audition and improvisation boards is frequently a quandary for me at the best of times and having a composition board would add another complexity to the choice.

I think I'll leave such decisions to others and fit in as best I can after the event.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40:56 AM
Maybe there should be a better thread naming system -

At present I believe if posting a video you are meant to name your thread like this..

VIDEO : 'composer' - 'work'   ..or something similar.

maybe there should be a rule that computer rendered pieces should be marked as such..

MIDI : 'composer' - 'work title'

?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:22:25 PM
Maybe there should be a better thread naming system -

At present I believe if posting a video you are meant to name your thread like this..

VIDEO : 'composer' - 'work'   ..or something similar.

maybe there should be a rule that computer rendered pieces should be marked as such..

MIDI : 'composer' - 'work title'

?
good idea!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert