Piano Forum

Topic: Chopin rank rankings  (Read 4696 times)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Chopin rank rankings
on: August 01, 2012, 11:18:14 PM
Hi. I want to start reading a new thread about the ranks of difficulty about Chopin pieces. Can you please list all the Chopin pieces ranking threads and rank them for me and why? Also if you ahve thoughts on rank thread rankings  and the individual levels for them for other pieces/composers. I want to read those too. For reference I have just finished the latest ranking thread if that helps. Thanks.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin rank rankings
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:54 AM
Hi. I want to start reading a new thread about the ranks of difficulty about Chopin pieces. Can you please list all the Chopin pieces ranking threads and rank them for me and why? Also if you ahve thoughts on rank thread rankings  and the individual levels for them for other pieces/composers. I want to read those too. For reference I have just finished the latest ranking thread if that helps. Thanks.

You evil lad!  ;D

For the record, I rank them all as pretty rank.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:10 AM
...its not the musicality with which you play that makes you a good pianist, its the extreme difficulty of the pieces you can almost play.

I would like to grade all pieces as being "as hard as you're attitude and lack of patience makes them"

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:44 AM
You evil lad!  ;D

For the record, I rank them all as pretty rank.
yes i think i understand. but then which ones are more rank than others? like is the etudes rank less so than the preludes and nocturnes rank? what about if we add Liszt and Ravel to mix, how does that change things? i really like a lot of them i think if i had the rank rank, and argued about it, i might be able to narrow it down.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:33 AM
...its not the musicality with which you play that makes you a good pianist, its the extreme difficulty of the pieces you can almost play.

I would like to grade all pieces as being "as hard as you're attitude and lack of patience makes them"
you mean posting and being a back seat pianist isn't enough? i'm pretty good at commenting on youtube about how much many of the professional pianists that have performed them suck.  so i want to get this rank rank so i can continue to not get started on learning the pieces, still. i need help with which rank thread to move on to next.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:26:47 AM
You know I just looked up a certain forum user who shall remain nameless here..  but I'm just saying..  100% of this user's posts are related to difficulty rankings of advanced repertoire.

not infrequently the same pieces in different threads.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:33:44 AM
yes i think i understand. but then which ones are more rank than others? like is the etudes rank less so than the preludes and nocturnes rank? what about if we add Liszt and Ravel to mix, how does that change things? i really like a lot of them i think if i had the rank rank, and argued about it, i might be able to narrow it down.

I rank the relative ranknesses of the rankings on a ranking scale of  rank, rankier and rankiest. The rank rankings are themselves ranked as rankiest with other rankings ranked as either rank or rankier. I decline to disclose those rank rankings for fear of being accused of being rank myself, or of pulling rank.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:44:34 AM
...or of pulling rank.

Its ok, I'll debate that the rank threads are rankier and that the rankiest are merely rank, based on the rank notion that the rank ranking skills learnt by any ranker throughout ones life ranks them equally in regard to all ranking opportunities.

Then anyone who knows anything will run away screaming.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:45:40 AM
..or leap away screaming. so it is with all that jump rank.

i guess i 'll just have to wait a few weeks and repost the request in similar or not so undifferent terms, perhaps on another board. i mean i don't want jump ahead more than i should like this guy.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:47:49 AM
..or leap away screaming. so it is with all that jump rank.

i guess i 'll just have to wait a few weeks and repost the request in similar or not so undifferent terms, perhaps on another board. i mean i don't want jump ahead more than i should like this guy.

you can call it "chopin - rate these ratings"

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:17:01 AM
** amused myself changing some "r"s for "w"s  ;D

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:07:35 AM

u____u
Currently learning -

- Bach: P&F in F Minor (WTC 2)
- Chopin: Etude, Op. 25, No. 5
- Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 31, No. 3
- Scriabin: Two Poems, Op. 32
- Debussy: Prelude Bk II No. 3

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 03:35:40 AM
What the heck is with all of these ranking of pieces all of the sudden?
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:38:24 AM
I was almost surprised when I saw your name as the topic starter, enrique. Then I read your post.

Had a laugh. :)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 03:41:03 AM
What the heck is with all of these ranking of pieces all of the sudden?

This thread is not about ranking the pieces, it's about ranking the rankings.  We'll then move on to rank the rankings of the rankings. And then we'll move on to.....  [at some point Nils will step in and kill us all].

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 03:43:36 AM
This thread is not about ranking the pieces, it's about ranking the rankings.  We'll then move on to rank the rankings of the rankings. And then we'll move on to.....  [at some point Nils will step in and kill us all].

I know that. 
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 04:36:14 AM

HAHAHAHA wank? ^_^
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 04:46:02 AM
Are you sure you are not being a bit of a ranker here? Shouldn't the kids be allowed to have some fun?

Offline virtuoso80

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:17 AM
Unless my perceptions are way off, there's a whole lot of sarcasm going on here.  ;)

As someone who gets the World Almanac for Christmas every year, it's safe to say I really like lists. I also have titles like 'The top 10 of everything' and 'The big book of lists' in my bookshelf. I also like tables, rankings, charts, graphs, etc. I'm a technical thinker, so I find them fun to think about. Is it a relatively pointless exercise with music? Sure, but that doesn't stop every music webpage I've ever seen from being full of 'rank the albums by this band' threads.

Why do people do it? Because it's fun. It's another way to think about and get something out of music you've heard 100 times over. It's a way to share your opinion and talk about something your passionate about. If you don't find it fun, don't participate in it. I'm not familiar enough with whomever this thread is imitating, but clearly there's a notion of his/her silliness in ranking things. Well, I don't know enough to say anything about that person, but as someone who just posted a 'ranking' thread, I can't help but be a little insulted.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 10:29:15 AM
Unless my perceptions are way off, there's a whole lot of sarcasm going on here.  ;)

As someone who gets the World Almanac for Christmas every year, it's safe to say I really like lists. I also have titles like 'The top 10 of everything' and 'The big book of lists' in my bookshelf. I also like tables, rankings, charts, graphs, etc. I'm a technical thinker, so I find them fun to think about. Is it a relatively pointless exercise with music? Sure, but that doesn't stop every music webpage I've ever seen from being full of 'rank the albums by this band' threads.

Why do people do it? Because it's fun. It's another way to think about and get something out of music you've heard 100 times over. It's a way to share your opinion and talk about something your passionate about. If you don't find it fun, don't participate in it. I'm not familiar enough with whomever this thread is imitating, but clearly there's a notion of his/her silliness in ranking things. Well, I don't know enough to say anything about that person, but as someone who just posted a 'ranking' thread, I can't help but be a little insulted.
we try to be a jolly jovial bunch here. the majority of those participating in the fun are actually some of the more thoughtful and positive contributors to folks questions, etc., as a matter of fact, i can't think of a time when even a single respondant was at all even close to being a jerk to anyone on purpose or without just provocation.

really it's all in good fun, no one in particular is being singled out or being made fun of with any animostiy, sort of like a Saturday Night Live parody ,version thread.

** amused myself changing some "r"s for "w"s  ;D
had me some good old "r"="sp"  ;D

hi. can someone please spank these concertos and why they're spanked the way they're spanked. also, once spanked, how do we spank the spanks...

oh man that is fun.

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:27 PM
 ::)  I am not a ranker -honest.
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 08:31:20 PM
::)  I am not a ranker -honest.
so perhaps a ranker-dishonest?

nothing to be ashamed of. these are some big time rankers

Senator Kevin Ranker

Majority Assistant Whip and Chair, Committee on Energy, Natural Resources and Marine Waters

Washington State Senate

Professor Jason Ranker

Jason Ranker, PhD, is an associate professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at PSU

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 11:52:54 PM
nothing to be ashamed of. these are some big time rankers
Senator Kevin Ranker
Professor Jason Ranker

Does a state Senator Ranker outrank a Professor Ranker or are they to be ranked in different rankings and so Ranker is unrankable with respect to Ranker?  :-\

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 12:09:15 AM
Does a state Senator Ranker outrank a Professor Ranker or are they to be ranked in different rankings and so Ranker is unrankable with respect to Ranker?  :-\

their respective jobs are like..  ..  ..apples and oranges, or... .. ...octaves and arpeggios...

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 12:20:44 AM
their respective jobs are like..  ..  ..apples and oranges, or... .. ...octaves and arpeggios...
big note piano and dubstep....

oh i almost forgot this can be turned in to the higher ranks

https://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/legalfiles/gates_letter_sept09/attach_1.pdf

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 12:58:07 AM
oh i almost forgot this can be turned in to the higher ranks

https://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/legalfiles/gates_letter_sept09/attach_1.pdf

Hahahahahahahah. Printed that one off and now on my office wall!  ;D

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 01:45:55 AM

I'm not sure if i've stopped laughing yet..  I mean I've stopped, but I have to really focus on it.. its been quite some time too..

I know just who to give it to.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 09:51:18 PM
Just as long as those Ranker guys have nothing to do with banking -because as we all know a banker outranks a ranker in all respects.
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 07:02:16 AM
It's going to depend on the reader.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert