Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: advice please  (Read 1633 times)

Offline paolo

• PS Silver Member
advice please
on: October 09, 2004, 06:02:18 AM
I posted this on the student forum but didn't get much respeonse.
I'm hoping that someone else who reads this will feel inclined to help?????

OK so i'm new to this piano forum. Stumbled acoss it by chance so am slightly nervous of writing my first post!
I have been playing the piano for years & am totally self taught.
Have FINALLY decided to book some lessons & am practicing for my grade 8.
I love Chopin with a passion but his C monor Polonaise doesn't grab me at all.
So have decided to go for the Mayerl piece "Autumn Crocus"
I love the "cheesey" "cocktail lounge" sound of the piece but don't know how to pull it off.
I sense it should have rubato but in moderation.
Am also unsure about the pedalling especially in the middle section.
Would like to use the sostenuto pedal especailly in bars 25 etc. with the descending chromatic harmonies.
Am also conscius that I don't want the piece to climax too early until the fff maestoso.
If anyone else knows this piece & can give some advice, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers
Paolo