Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt Corelli transcription- Spanish Rhapsody!  (Read 2901 times)

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Liszt Corelli transcription- Spanish Rhapsody!
on: October 09, 2004, 07:49:49 PM
I just started listening to Rachmaninoff's variations on a theme of Corelli, and it's the theme from Liszt's Spanish Rhapsody!

What's going on!?
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt Corelli transcription- Spanish Rhapsody!
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 07:54:52 PM
I just started listening to Rachmaninoff's variations on a theme of Corelli, and it's the theme from Liszt's Spanish Rhapsody!

What's going on!?

It's the same theme: La Folia (although Correlli is credited with it, it's quite likely that it's a folk tune)

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 04:32:59 PM
For god's sake, how many original melodies did liszt ever manage to write?
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 08:43:27 PM
For god's sake, how many original melodies did liszt ever manage to write?

More than any of us in here have written, Cziffra.   :P
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 10:02:47 PM
Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with using melodies which already exist. Composers do it all the time, either quoting other melodies and works, or writing pieces completely based on older melodies.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 03:54:06 AM
Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with using melodies which already exist. Composers do it all the time, either quoting other melodies and works, or writing pieces completely based on older melodies.

Oh, don't get me wrong, i love Liszt's Spanish rhapsody and many of his other transcriptions, i was just a little disapointed that he didn't write that melody.  It was almost my favourite part of the piece!

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 10:04:09 AM
The melody itself (La Folia) is rather bland and unassuming, but the way that Liszt and Rachmaninoff treat it is what makes it interesting.  That is the true art of composing - working with the base materials like melody.  Any composer can come up with a melody as least similiar or as good as "La Folia", but few can manipulate them into great works.

And Liszt did write plenty of original melodies, and considering the volume of his output, he actually wrote more completely original music than most of the other great composers.  The melodies in Liebestraume and Les Preludes, which are absolutely beautiful, are original, for instance.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert