Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Für Elise woO 59  (Read 8775 times)

Offline searchingfordistance

• PS Silver Member
Für Elise woO 59
on: September 12, 2012, 04:43:50 AM
Just learned to play this last week so this is when I still have some more work to do on it. Still have some problems to get the middle part to be perfect but it's going forward and will put up one more later this year.
Composer & Pianist (2010-2014)
#Playing Level 5,5
#Reading Level 5
#Sight-Reading Level 3,5
Practicing:
#W.A.Mozart Sonata K.545
#J.S.Bach Prelude & Fugue No.5
#Composing & Sight-Reading

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Re: Für Elise woO 59
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:20:32 PM
I think you use too much pedal -the notes of the main theme are close together and the last thing you want to do is blur them -you also need to work on your dynamics -when the melody becomes more expressive, it shoud be louder than the opening in order to bring out the increase in passionate intensity -at the moment your playing is very typed sounding -it sounds like you are just playing individual notes -you need to be more aware of phrasing and the cadence points -I suggest listening to Arrau -and paying close attention to his phrasing and dynamics -With the right focus and attention to detail you have the potential to play this piece well -
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:19:16 PM
Not bad! For only having been playing the piece for a week. During certain little moments, I could tell that you have a good musical ear :) However, you should try to introduce musicality into all the piece as soon as you begin playing it, and not wait till you learn the notes. This skill will help you a lot in the future with sight-reading and things like that.

Try to think of the music more horizontally than vertically. I'll try to explain. Think of the musical phrases in horizontal lines, rather than in vertical notes coming down. One thing that may help is looking at the music, and imagining lines connecting the notes together. Also, as starstruck said, make sure you pay attention to the phrases in the music.

Make sure you don't play too much faster than what's comfortable while practicing.

Starstruck pretty much said everything else I would say. Keep working hard, and this could turn out really well.

Good luck!
Currently:
Chopin Grand Valse Brilliante
Mozart Piano Sonata K 332
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 no.5,6,7
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G minor

Offline searchingfordistance

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:48:13 PM

This is the original video and tomorrow I think I will make a new vid.
I know my phrasing whasn't so good and I have been listening to different version and the one you mentioned and been trying not to use to much pedal then needed.
Composer & Pianist (2010-2014)
#Playing Level 5,5
#Reading Level 5
#Sight-Reading Level 3,5
Practicing:
#W.A.Mozart Sonata K.545
#J.S.Bach Prelude & Fugue No.5
#Composing & Sight-Reading
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert