Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Hello guys, I am a french street performer and composer  (Read 10204 times)

Offline stevevillamassone

• PS Silver Member
Hello guys, I am a french street performer and composer
on: September 13, 2012, 04:51:02 AM
Hello,

First I would like to congratulate you for this forum. My English is not really fluent so I want to apologize. I used to read lot of topics in this forum, and I have decided to participate as much I can. So I have created an account!
My name is Steve Villa-Massone, I am a French street performer and composer, in the first link I play my own compositions (many other will come later on my channel, I am totally new in youtube).

In this one I play some of my classical compositions:

00:00 to 00:59 is "La valse du vallon" ( "valley's waltz") but only the end of the piece
00:59 to 05:35 is also a composition but without name at the moment
05:35 to the end is named "la crypte" ("the crypt")

In this one (my own youtube account), I was recorded in live, in Paris streets, while playing my own new transcription of the four seasons: Winter (Vivaldi).

[/youtube]

Here you have "czardas" played with a friend, a french violinist (I arranged the piano part).

My goal is to have your opinion and to meet other street performers. In france it is kinda rare, from what I know, we are about 2-3 in Paris, and classical composers/street performers are rare unfortunately.
Have you already busked in any country streets ? If it is the case, where did you play?

I hope that I am not against any forum rules.

Have a very good day

UPDATE 2 OLD COMPOSITIONS

"Come Bach":

"La Lune bleue" ("The blue moon)

Update (09/20/2012). Let's grove (impro and vocal trumpet)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hello guys, I am a french street performer
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 05:08:57 AM
Wow, you have a piano on wheels! What a wonderful way to make people listen to classical piano music!

We only have people with other instruments on street corners here...

I would certainly throw you a coin or two...or more  :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:12:17 AM
Thank you mate. I make that for 10 years now. I move my piano every days on those wheels. It's just a matter of habit.

Have a good day

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:25:05 AM
Thank you mate. I make that for 10 years now. I move my piano every days on those wheels. It's just a matter of habit.

Have a good day

I guess in Paris this would be simple. With all the regulations and rules here, a piano on the street would be considered a hazard and there would probably be too many complaints. Getting an official permit to do it would be a nightmare.

On the other hand...  In some cities it is allowed to play an acoustic instrument on the street without permission (but even then it is not allowed to severely disturb anyone with noise?). You need one if you use an ampilfier...So an acoustic piano is better than digital then :)

If I could choose I would listen to piano music on the streets any day, the violins and harmonicas tend to annoy me...not that I would ever complain though :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:38:32 AM
I guess in Paris this would be simple. With all the regulations and rules here, a piano on the street would be considered a hazard and there would probably be too many complaints. Getting an official permit to do it would be a nightmare.

On the other hand...  In some cities it is allowed to play an acoustic instrument on the street without permission (but even then it is not allowed to severely disturb anyone with noise?). You need one if you use an ampilfier...So an acoustic piano is better than digital then :)

If I could choose I would listen to piano music on the streets any day, the violins and harmonicas tend to annoy me...not that I would ever complain though :)

In fact I am in Paris for about 2 years now. Before that I was in Nice (French south east), and it was total different. I was very surprised when I notified that policemen are cooler in Paris than in the French south.
The problem for those amplified instruments is that it's not authorized by the French law. We can play with a none-amplified instrument BUT if someone complains, if he calls the police, I have to stop.
In some countries it's easier, for example, in Geneva/Switzerland you have a daily rate for every none-amplified/amplified street performer. You have to pay about 30-40 euros per day, and you are allowed to play.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:44:55 AM
Wow, you have a piano on wheels! What a wonderful way to make people listen to classical piano music!

We only have people with other instruments on street corners here...

I would certainly throw you a coin or two...or more  :)

And thank you mate, it was my goal when I have started this adventure.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hello guys, I am a french street performer and composer
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:30:12 AM
a street pianist on pianostreet. perhaps the most appropriate forumeer ever.  welcome to the looney bin new friend. we are glad to have you.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:06:28 PM
a street pianist on pianostreet. perhaps the most appropriate forumeer ever.  welcome to the looney bin new friend. we are glad to have you.

Thank you a lot, I am glad to be here too :) Have a very good musical day mate.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:21:13 PM
Bravo! Excellent stuff. All the very best wishes to you, Steve. Thanks for posting.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 06:51:45 PM
Bravo! Excellent stuff. All the very best wishes to you, Steve. Thanks for posting.

Thank you mate, it give me lot of motivation ! I am adding 2 new videos I have created this night. In fact, monday, a friend will film in the street while playing other compositions (and some surprises) on the street.
And just for waiting, I have found 2 compositions, I made some years ago, on my computer.
The first one is names: "Come Bach". You will understand vere quickly why I gave this title. And the second piece is not really a classical one, called "La lune bleue" ("The blue moon" in french).
Thread will be updated in 2 minutes.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:23:30 PM
I am still waiting for the friend who filmed me some days ago in the street (while playing classical compositions and transcriptions).
Just for waiting, I propose you a video I made, in front of the eiffel tower, about 1 year ago with a friend. He makes some vocal trumpet and I am improvising on "let's groove" (earth, wind and fire).

Have a good day

(first message updated)

Offline mchiuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 06:51:16 AM
SORRY!May I have your fantasie no2 transcript .

Offline stevensk

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 07:09:06 AM

Hello Steve!
Welcome to the forum! We talked to each other last summer outside the Paris opera.
You played a Bach sounding piece

stevensk

Offline buzzbayley

Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 11:17:37 PM
Steve,

We listened to you play in front of the Palais Garnier Paris (July 2016), it was wonderful. You play brilliantly and we just loved listening. My wife purchased a CD and I am back in Australia now listening to it. Thanks so much for the joy of your music, it brings tears to my eyes.

Buzz
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert