Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Somewhat of a "different" problem  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Rachmanoinoff

• PS Silver Member
Somewhat of a "different" problem
on: February 08, 2003, 06:25:29 AM
Hey people,

This, I assure you, is not intended to be a prank in any way.  I would like everyone who reads this to please take me seriously, and understand, and reply.

Ok, with that said, here I go:  I like to think of myself as a pretty good pianist for my age, (I'm 15) and I can play some Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, etc.  My hands are pretty big- I can go from C to F (about an octave and a helf) pretty comfortably.  However, here's my problem: I worry a lot.  Constantly.  About EVERYTHING.  And, the latest is about my hands.  You see, every time I have "used the restroom" I'll wash my hands for about 15 minutes.  Obsessive.  I just can't stop.  The skin, I just put some cream/lotion on, and the "dryness" goes away.  However, when I move my fourth finger on my left hand, It'll make these "crackly" noises, which really bother me.  Also, my wrists do the same thing as well as other fingers.

If I try doing a trill with my 2nd and 3rd, or 3rd and 4th fingers (left hand) , it's MUCH slower than with the right hand respectively.   Yes I know, the left hand isn't as "fast" but still, it worries me..

Also, when I do things (not piano) that put tension on my middel finger, (left hand) like bending it backwards, it'll "crack" when I bend it forward.

I'm worried that each time I wash my hands I ruin them, more and more, but I can't stop washing them, either.

Please, help me.  It's like I'm thinking to myself "there's no point in working with my hands & practicing piano since one day they'll basically be washed away."  SERIOUSLY!!!  This is a dreadfully serious problem and yes I will go to a doctor about it, but any tips/words of re-assurance?  PLEASE?!

Martin
Music is music, don't try to tamper with it

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Re: Somewhat of a "different" problem
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 09:03:35 AM
Dear Martin,
First, I greatly admire your courage and honesty in sharing this personal problem on a public forum such as this.  This will be the start of its resolution as we always feel better when we can talk about a problem with supportive people and I am sure all the members and guests of this forum are that.

You mention the possibility of seeing a doctor.  I am certain that there is nothing at all wrong with your hands and skin.  The hands and fingers are just the servants of the mind in piano playing, but as their function is critical,  we can easily become very concerned and even anxious about them.  

You are certainly not alone with your problem and I am sure that everyone of us has some kind of phobia or  form of obsessive behaviour which may range from mild to severe.  Unfortunately most of us do not have your bravery and candour in being willing to talk about it openly and that can make you think that you are weird as everyone else appears to be getting on with life "normally".

If this behaviour is distressing you then you should seek some form of counselling.  It may be helpful for you to try to analyse what factors provoke this behavioural response.  For example, are there times when it is worse and could it be extra stress or anxiety  that cause this?

You are a young, talented person  with a life time of wonderful piano playing ahead of you.  I am sure that a little "fine tuning" will be all you need should you seek professional help.  

My very best wishes,
Robert.

Offline Rachmanoinoff

• PS Silver Member
Re: Somewhat of a "different" problem
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 08:28:31 AM
Dear tosca1,

Thanks a lot for your help, it is GREATLY appreciated  :)

This is a porblem I've been worrying about lately, and you're right- all I need is probably some "fine-tuning!"

Martin
Music is music, don't try to tamper with it

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert