Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Advice Needed on Piano Pricing--Yamaha and Kawai  (Read 4440 times)

Offline gerardtom

• PS Silver Member
Advice Needed on Piano Pricing--Yamaha and Kawai
on: September 20, 2012, 11:31:49 PM

Has anyone bought a yamaha DC2, DGC1, or kawai RX2 recently? Care to share how much you paid for, or PM me privately? Considering I will be spending 15K-30K I feel I should study up on pricing and make sure I don't get taken. 

These are the prices I got:
yamaha DC2: 36,900 . . .MSRP 45,900
Yamaha DGC1:  24,900. . .MSRP 36,900
kawai RX2: 22,900. . . MSRP 38,100

Any advice/input is most appreciated.  I would like to purchse the DC2, but the pricing is a bit much where is stands now.

Thanks,
Tommy

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice Needed on Piano Pricing--Yamaha and Kawai
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:27:41 AM
Some Kawai's are delicious!!! A church once confessed that they purchased their' grand from a conservatory that was buying new pianos and was selling the used.
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline deighve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:56:44 PM
If your mind has been set to getting a DC2 then go ahead and buy it. Buy a piano that makes a sound that appeals to your ear and emotion. Price should not matter. Audition several DC2's and select the one you like. I am personally pleased with the Yamaha sound and I like the feel of playing on its piano keys.  They are for strong fingers, hands and arms. Kawai is for the softies.

Offline rocklandpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:51:03 PM
Has anyone bought a yamaha C5, DS5, or kawai KG8 recently? Care to share how much you paid for, or PM me privately? Considering I will be spending 15K-30K I feel I should study up on pricing and make sure I don't get taken.
These are the prices I got:
Yamaha C5, DS5;              $164.95
Yamaha  GA1,GA1E ;        $153.95
Kawai KG8, GS100:          $208.95

I would like to purchse the C5, DS5, but the pricing is a bit much where is stands now.
Piano players in Monsey, New York have relied on Charles Flaum since before 1990 for piano tuning, piano repairs and sage piano advice. Monsey, a family oriented village in Rockland County, is full of

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:37 AM
If your mind has been set to getting a DC2 then go ahead and buy it. Buy a piano that makes a sound that appeals to your ear and emotion. Price should not matter. Audition several DC2's and select the one you like. I am personally pleased with the Yamaha sound and I like the feel of playing on its piano keys.  They are for strong fingers, hands and arms. Kawai is for the softies.

So not totally true! It all depends on the piano. I have pkayed on yamahas that rumbled in fear of my might, but i have also played on some that make you cry for mercy because of how complicated and hard to play (in a good way) they can be. Also some kawais, same thing. I played on one that was super particular to a type of touch...so much range and possibility...
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:06 AM
Also some kawais, same thing. I played on one that was super particular to a type of touch...so much range and possibility...

Kawai has carried both traits and everything in between over to the MP6 digital. Right now I have it set up sooo touch sensative on the Mellow Grand sound, it's truely dynamic, unbelievably responsive actually ( I actually narrowed the dynamics a bit on that  piano sound). But I've gone the other way with it that it was a nightmare to play. And you can set the touch up anyplace in between for each piano sound differently and alter the EQ over four ranges of the keyboard as well. I'm loving that aspect of that piano now that I've been through the two or three weeks it's taken me to understand it !

But you are right, not only does it vary between brands or within a brand but even from piano to piano within models on acoustic pianos. You really have to play the very piano you are interested in buying, like it and purchase that very piano that you tried out, IMO.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert