Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Bohemian Rhapsody  (Read 5086 times)

Offline henrikhank

• PS Silver Member
Bohemian Rhapsody
on: September 21, 2012, 03:52:28 PM
I'm just learning Bohemian Rhapsody and I've read this:

"Even though B flat is very dominant, the first chord could be said to be Gm7 which would give rise
to the sequence Gm7–C7–F7–B flat, where C7 is an altered version of ii7 acting as V7 of F
(secondary dominant). The progression adds strength to the opening and increases the sense of
drama and tension."
What does "ii7 acting as V7 of F" mean?

https://www.ppmta.ie/Resources/All_Set_Works/Bohemian_Rhaps.pdf

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 05:04:28 PM
V7 of F Major is C7, so it's saying that the II7 chord is leading to the dominant 7th, which then resolves to the tonic? I think?  :-X
Currently learning -

- Bach: P&F in F Minor (WTC 2)
- Chopin: Etude, Op. 25, No. 5
- Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 31, No. 3
- Scriabin: Two Poems, Op. 32
- Debussy: Prelude Bk II No. 3

Offline nystul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:36:06 PM
V7 of F Major is C7, so it's saying that the II7 chord is leading to the dominant 7th, which then resolves to the tonic? I think?  :-X

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

We are in Bb major, which has this scale: Bb C D Eb F G A Bb.
So based on diatonic harmony, the ii chord should have C Eb G (maybe Bb)... C minor.  It would be perfectly fine and very common to have Cm going to F7 going to Bb, ii - V - I.  All over classical music.  All over pop music.

But instead of Cm we have C7, that is C E G Bb.  So where is this E natural coming from?  Well it is borrowed from the key of F major.  F major has F G A Bb C D E F.  Based on diatonic harmony, the V7 of F is C E G Bb, which is our chord.

So what does F have to do with anything?  Well F is the V of Bb.  So we have C7, which is the V7 of F, leading to F7, which is the V7 of Bb, leading to Bb, which is the actual tonic.  That makes C7 the "V of V", because it is the V of F which is the V of Bb.  Or at least that is the classical way of explaining that chord.

Offline spb_jcb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:54 AM
You might goole Vkgoeswild on YouTube and listen to her version. She will send you the music (her version) as well.

Stephen
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert