Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Anyone else here really dislike Evgeny Kissen?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline virtuoso80

• PS Silver Member
Anyone else here really dislike Evgeny Kissen?
on: November 10, 2012, 03:33:44 AM
There are few pianists that leave me with a truly sour taste in my mouth. Lang Lang is one, and a common one for many. Evgeny Kissen is another. His technique? Fantastic. Flawless. But his music? Terrible.

It often sounds to me like Kissen has exactly one gear: Bright and shiny. I used the word 'foppish' in a youtube comment and got in trouble for it. Perhaps a better word is 'shallow' - there's no depth to his playing. No passion or humanity. No notes of wisdom from a man who has loved and lost, only a naive plodding through pieces with his oh-so-perfect technique.

...yet I do often enjoy listening to masterful technique, even for it's own sake - Marc-Andre Hamelin, for example, I find a joy to watch. Clearly it's something more than that with Kissen, but it's difficult to put my finger on. Either way, his playing turns me off big-time. Anyone else share my sentiments?

Offline wiggityp

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone else here really dislike Evgeny Kissen?
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:06:36 AM
Interestingly enough I think he has declined as a pianist since he entered the public eye. I think he peaked when he was maybe 25 or so. Not to say he hasn't had anything worthwhile since. I heard some recent Prokofiev from him that was quite good. I think "bright and shiny" is a good descriptor, but he does have some admirable depth at times as well. Really I think he is maybe just kind of a dull guy. Not a dullard just an interested/interesting person who doesn't have as much stimulation as he might to really inspire his music through that marvelous technique of his. I think he's far from finished though. Hopefully his true peak as an artist is yet to come.
"Do you think I worry about your damn fiddle when the spirit speaks to me?"

Offline clavile

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:55:55 AM
May I ask what is so bad about Lang Lang?
Joy,
Student/Teacher

Student of 4 years

Currently Practicing:
Pirates Of the Carribean- Jarrod Radnich
Mozart Concerto, 2 Piano
Bach Invention
Mozart Rondo

Offline emrysmerlin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:11:11 AM
May I ask what is so bad about Lang Lang?

He's too mediocre for someone as popular as he is.

Offline emrysmerlin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:24:55 AM
A lot of ppl on this forum describe Kissin as "a pianist who loves to go fortississississimo." I think you understand why.

On the other hand, Hamelin is different in the way that he doesn't play for the sake of technique. I think MAH was even angered by the fact that a lot of people say that he only plays difficult music. A lot of stuff he plays that isn't Alkan do not that look difficult. He also doesn't intensionally make pieces look as hard as possible, and there's this modesty in him - but then most stuff that he plays aren't terribly difficult to him at all I believe.

Kissin's vids have terrible quality, which contributes to the dull bit too.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:33:00 PM
I disagree.

Lang Lang and Kissin are fantastic pianists.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline emrysmerlin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 02:57:03 PM
I disagree.

I don't suppose anyone should argue with you since this is all subjective.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 04:26:39 PM
What?! Okay, I get the argument about Lang Lang - if popularity only was about the pianistic skills, lang Lang may not be quite as good as his popularity would show.

But Kissin?! He has such an amazing control and colors. Have you seen him live? It's a completely different feeling to see him live than to only listen to cds...

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:26 PM
I disagree.

Kissin is a remarkable musician and one of the greatest pianists of our time.  Lang Lang?  Well, the jury's still out on him, no?  He's buried under so much hype I have trouble hearing him.  Weird, I know, but there it is.
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 06:21:19 AM
Kissin is a remarkable musician and one of the greatest pianists of our time.  Lang Lang?  Well, the jury's still out on him, no?  He's buried under so much hype I have trouble hearing him.  Weird, I know, but there it is.

I saw him live and his playing was the exact opposite of what you see on YouTube, and what other people say about him.

Offline nikolasideris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 06:56:46 AM
[About Lang Lang] He's too mediocre for someone as popular as he is.
Hem...

I'm not sure I can wrap my head around this quote too well... You see the problem can have two faces: He's either too mediocre, or too popular. If put together the two, as you mention, sends out a rather hateful and jealous vibe I'm afraid...

As I said in the other thread, it's hardly the music one makes, or the talent that makes a person shines and having a career. And other threads (none by me) seem to backup this idea: "What if Martha was ugly" is one of the best examples here. If Martha (an excellent pianist) was ugly would she have the same career? Similarly with Lang Lang, if he was not business minded and was living in a boxed world, I doubt he'd have the career he's having now. And he can play the piano, even if I can't watch a single video with him... heh...

Offline sucom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 11:37:15 PM
I can't say I dislike Kissin, quite the opposite really - his technique is just phenomenal - there's no getting away from that.  I heard him playing a Brahms waltz as part of an encore the other day and he played it beautifully and with sensitivity.  If I had a technique like his, I would feel pretty pleased with myself so no, I could never say that I dislike his playing. 

I think Lang Lang's playing tends to be overlooked 'because' he's so popular.  I often wonder if there isn't just a hint of jealousy of his popularity - and confidence - that mars the enjoyment of his performance for some.  Just my thoughts there ......... 

Offline danhuyle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 12:21:38 PM
Evgeny Kissin is a very complete pianist who has command over the piano. It's what you look for when listening to pianists.

Kissin is excellent, however, he doesn't have that flavor you get from Yundi Li, or the histrionics of "Live in Carnegie Hall" Lang Lang.   

Valentina Lisitsa and Lang Lang go on the lines of Kissin. Their choice of interpretation, however, is not everyone's cup of tea. Do they need to be perfect? Nope and why bother? They're doing so well, so who cares. Plus, they can play stuff badly and get away with it.

For me, Yundi Li has all his ducks in a row and he's in a league of his own.
Perfection itself is imperfection.

Currently practicing
Albeniz Triana
Scriabin Fantaisie Op28
Scriabin All Etudes Op8

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 12:27:15 PM
i tend not to be overy harsh or ultra critical of musicians with so much more training and experience and obvious greater level of technical and artistic/'musical' command of the instrument and repertorie than me. i can and will voice my personal 'response' to specific performances, but i  have never understood the 'back seat pianist' mentality that some seem to suffer from w regard to how vigorously they criticize these artists as performers/musicians. again i can understand reflecting on particular aspects of their playing one may not prefer to but the bashing (in general not just this kid/kids) is super puzzling. i think they're great , are way better than me, probably (very likely/almost certainly) will always be better than me/my best, and if anything should be appeciated for the variety they add to piano performance, not faulted for it.

me persoanlly? i love some of his perforamnces, like others, appreciate others (though may prefer someone else's take). all the while i don't take issue with him/his actual skill at techinical execution or musical interpretation.
 ::)

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 01:33:35 AM
I love Kissin in Russian music. But I made the mistake of buying his all-Chopin CD -- not very good. Chopin is poetry in music, not just technique. But that was a long time ago, maybe he's improved since then.

As for Lang Lang, please go check out any of the videos on Youtube where Lang Lang is taking a masterclass with Barenboim. I applaud LL for being willing to admit, even after he was already famous, that he had something to learn from a great pianist. And he doesn't sound too bad -- except that whenever Barenboim himself plays even a short passage, you instantly recognize -- oh yeah, that's what music is supposed to sound like.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 01:35:15 AM
I love Kissin in Russian music. But I made the mistake of buying his all-Chopin CD -- not very good. Chopin is poetry in music, not just technique. But that was a long time ago, maybe he's improved since then.

As for Lang Lang, please go check out any of the videos on Youtube where Lang Lang is taking a masterclass with Barenboim. I applaud LL for being willing to admit, even after he was already famous, that he had something to learn from a great pianist. And he doesn't sound too bad -- except that whenever Barenboim himself plays even a short passage, you instantly recognize -- oh yeah, that's what music is supposed to sound like.

Yeah dude, those guys get waaay too much hate.

Offline thesuineg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 05:02:33 AM
lol, he's not a musical idiot or anything. Though its true that he seems to only have 1 gear and thats playing brilliantly. I don't have listening to him though, its also interesting to hear his interpretation don't you think? He does weird things with the tempos. well I don't actually knw much about him, don't listen often, but nothing i really disliked so far.

But I hate Krystian Zimerman.
ew.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 05:29:10 AM

ew.

I am starting to think freedom of speech is the root of all evil  ::)

;D

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 05:35:06 AM
I am starting to think freedom of speech is the root of all evil  ::)

;D

Failure to exercise brain before exercising freedom of speech is a more likely culprit.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 05:38:20 AM
Failure to exercise brain before exercising freedom of speech is a more likely culprit.
What is the brain is fundamentally faulty?  ???

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 05:40:36 AM
What is the brain is fundamentally faulty?  ???

Then typos result.  ;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 06:33:09 AM

Offline shaggyy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 05:26:34 PM
ew.
Why?  :o

Offline musicioso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 07:57:10 PM
Then typos result.  ;D

wehehehhe funny

ontopic:

Kissin is the only pianist I have seen live twice, because i kinda really love his technique. And the rest is too subjective. I don't understand why there is so much hate when it comes to Kissin.

I would sacrifice my both legs for having his technique. Wait.. how would i press the pedals ?? Ok, i would not sacrifice anything..

Offline musicioso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 09:56:13 PM
There are few pianists that leave me with a truly sour taste in my mouth. Lang Lang is one, and a common one for many. Evgeny Kissen is another. His technique? Fantastic. Flawless. But his music? Terrible.

It often sounds to me like Kissen has exactly one gear: Bright and shiny. I used the word 'foppish' in a youtube comment and got in trouble for it. Perhaps a better word is 'shallow' - there's no depth to his playing. No passion or humanity. No notes of wisdom from a man who has loved and lost, only a naive plodding through pieces with his oh-so-perfect technique.

...yet I do often enjoy listening to masterful technique, even for it's own sake - Marc-Andre Hamelin, for example, I find a joy to watch. Clearly it's something more than that with Kissen, but it's difficult to put my finger on. Either way, his playing turns me off big-time. Anyone else share my sentiments?

So what about the rest of those 'few pianists'?
Why dont you mention others? Why Kissin? Because he is so famous? He is famous because music is his whole life. He deserves that!!

Offline thesuineg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 04:47:50 AM
I'm 100% sure that if rubinstein was alive he would hate zimerman too.
His playing is just way too...clear for chopin.
Very intelligent, but not Chopin-like.
And he sounds like he practices too much, the piece is always imbedded in his fingers, and yet the interpretation is never logical as a whole.
idk how to explain actually.
but its weird. and trust my i've listened to his 4th ballade at least 10 times. I've tried to change my point of view

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:21 AM
And he sounds like he practices too much, the piece is always imbedded in his fingers, and yet the interpretation is never logical as a whole.
but its weird. and trust my i've listened to his 4th ballade at least 10 times. I've tried to change my point of view

This is interesting, since I personally dislike the way Rubinstein played Chopin. I haven't really tried to analyze what it is that puts me off. I think we just may have a slightly different ideal about the essence of Chopin's music. Which is fine, because we won't be able to ask his opinion ;) 

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 10:32:25 AM
kissen Ballade No 4 :   
&feature=related
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline shaggyy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 11:08:33 AM

Rubinstein invited Zimerman to Paris in 1976 and they were friends until his death, so I don't think he hated Zimerman... And I never understood how you can hate a pianist. Just because you don't like his interpretations doesn't mean he has to be hated for that. I don't really like most of Lang Lang's interpretations, but he's still a friggin amazing pianist. And personally I find Zimerman one of the best Chopin interpreters, especially his ballades. They sound so natural and right when he plays it, and he has perfect control over his pieces. But hey, everybody has their own taste in music. :) Just don't hate a pianist when you don't like his interpretation of a piece.

Offline thesuineg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 03:58:07 AM
Yah i guess. Maybe I just don't like the kids that idozilize him and then play like a robot. All though that rafal guy loved him and he is probably the best chopin player since rubinstein :/ I like Pollini for some reason lol

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 06:45:51 AM
Yah i guess. Maybe I just don't like the kids that idozilize him and then play like a robot. All though that rafal guy loved him and he is probably the best chopin player since rubinstein :/ I like Pollini for some reason lol

Pollini is great too. I don't need to put the pianists that I like in order, they are all just as great, just different. IMO it's a priviledge to be able to hear several great interpretations of the same pieces that are all different.

Offline black_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 07:06:52 AM
Most of lang Lang fans are under 18

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 08:05:30 PM

Where does that statistic come from?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 01:05:01 AM

If you go to a Lang Lang concert, most of the people you see there are definitely older than 18.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 03:27:37 AM

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 03:19:17 PM
be happy for ANYONE who makes a living in this business--irregardless of what you think of their music.   Be happy that people like Lang Lang and pay good money to see him--Maksim, too--anytime any part of the general public is interested in hearing a concert pianist--REJOICE--they are bringing a greater audience to classical music--that is ALWAYS a GOOD thing.  ;D

Offline patrickd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 03:08:46 AM
Not really.

Offline black_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 10:58:19 AM
Where does that statistic come from?
I read it somwhere on the internet and I agreed with.

Offline kersplona

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 04:48:40 PM
Indeed. Kissin bores me to tears.

Offline thesixthsensemusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 07:42:52 PM
I just don't like the fact that he plays La Campanella as an encore so often, I absolutely hate that piece.

Lang Lang and Valentina Lisitsa are not favoured by me either, because they often choose too high tempi at the wrong places whereas I prefer a more subtle and patient approach. Not so much because they play too fast to make every note sound expressive, because they master the piano to such an extent that they are still in full control, but because I can't keep up with all the details in a piece as a listener, at such a pace.

For me there's 4 pianists I find highly inspiring: Rubinstein, Richter, Horowitz, and Belgian virtuoso Geert Dehoux (I don't expect anyone to know him, but check out his rendition of Chopin's Heroic Polonaise on Youtube, bad sound quality but an EXCELLENT interpretation).

Offline thesuineg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 02:26:01 PM
I just don't like the fact that he plays La Campanella as an encore so often, I absolutely hate that piece.

Lang Lang and Valentina Lisitsa are not favoured by me either, because they often choose too high tempi at the wrong places whereas I prefer a more subtle and patient approach. Not so much because they play too fast to make every note sound expressive, because they master the piano to such an extent that they are still in full control, but because I can't keep up with all the details in a piece as a listener, at such a pace.

For me there's 4 pianists I find highly inspiring: Rubinstein, Richter, Horowitz, and Belgian virtuoso Geert Dehoux (I don't expect anyone to know him, but check out his rendition of Chopin's Heroic Polonaise on Youtube, bad sound quality but an EXCELLENT interpretation).
i agree with all 4 except horowitz, and ill listen to the other guy

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 02:57:02 PM
Anyone else here really [beep] Evgeny Kissen?

@ All,

I wish everybody here stopped criticizing and venting negativity about their own colleagues. If you like someone, please tell us why. If you "hate" someone, better ignore him/her; don't even mention them. Even if you come close in level of performance, or even if you think you are much better than the one you "hate", it is very unpleasant to read it for those who happen to like/ adore/ worship the person. Besides, you should know by your own experience what it takes to be where they are. They deserve at least a little respect for what they did/do right...

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 08:36:44 PM
@ All,

I wish everybody here stopped criticizing and venting negativity about their own colleagues. If you like someone, please tell us why. If you "hate" someone, better ignore him/her; don't even mention them. Even if you come close in level of performance, or even if you think you are much better than the one you "hate", it is very unpleasant to read it for those who happen to like/ adore/ worship the person.

I guess a person who dislikes the artist feels the same way about reading positive comments about him/her. I think everyone should have their right to voice their own opinion. If someone is making art and is putting it out there, it leaves it open for scrutiny, no matter how hard work they put into it. For example George Lucas, who made the original Star Wars movies, put a soulcrushing amount of effort into making those. Does that mean that we have no right to criticise him, even though he made the absolute shitfests that are the Star Wars prequels some 20 years later?

Personally I don't like Kissin because his playing, while close to flawless technically, doesn't engage me on a visceral level. I don't see why people think he is the greatest pianist ever when listening to his recordings.

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 03:29:38 AM
@ lelle

Is this really about healthy freedom of speech? I don't think so.

1) the person who is "disliked" is not here to defend him/herself. Attacks like these remind me of beating up a person who is lying on the ground. Real men with balls don't do that.
2) most of the sacred negative opinions (all over the board, not only in this topic) are based on YouTube clips of nothing more than mediocre quality and vented by people who 1) have never even seen a concert hall from the inside and who 2) are not able to tie two notes together themselves in an acceptable fashion. Sometimes it seems as if they are paid to do it.
3) I generally prefer to read educated opinions, not mindless drivle. Some pianists just don't move me either, but who cares? That's my own problem.
4) we are nothing more than guests here for heaven's sake. It's not your resource. It's not mine. We should at least live up to the established board rules, and what goes on in similar topics is usually against the spirit of those rules.
P.S.: Just saying. Please, everybody get back to exercising your free rights while you still can...

Paul
Account discontinued.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 12:24:18 PM
@ lelle

1) the person who is "disliked" is not here to defend him/herself. Attacks like these remind me of beating up a person who is lying on the ground. Real men with balls don't do that.
2) most of the sacred negative opinions (all over the board, not only in this topic) are based on YouTube clips of nothing more than mediocre quality and vented by people who 1) have never even seen a concert hall from the inside and who 2) are not able to tie two notes together themselves in an acceptable fashion. Sometimes it seems as if they are paid to do it.
3) I generally prefer to read educated opinions, not mindless drivle. Some pianists just don't move me either, but who cares? That's my own problem.
4) we are nothing more than guests here for heaven's sake. It's not your resource. It's not mine. We should at least live up to the established board rules, and what goes on in similar topics is usually against the spirit of those rules.
P.S.: Just saying. Please, everybody get back to exercising your free rights while you still can...

Paul

Thanks a lot for this comments; I agree fully with you. "Kicking upwards" is, above everything else, contraproductive as it actually enhances the (stupid) opinion that Some People Are Better Than Others. We are all just fellow-citizens of Pianomania and everybody, from the Biggest Star Ever to the freshest beginner or even the devoted listener who has never touched a piano key, deserves to be treated as human beings, that is, with respect.

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 07:31:20 PM
Thanks a lot for this comments; I agree fully with you. "Kicking upwards" is, above everything else, contraproductive as it actually enhances the (stupid) opinion that Some People Are Better Than Others. We are all just fellow-citizens of Pianomania and everybody, from the Biggest Star Ever to the freshest beginner or even the devoted listener who has never touched a piano key, deserves to be treated as human beings, that is, with respect.

The problem is that this argument as such does not silence the "right-of-free-speech" arguments/thoughts unless you add something to it.

1) Like-Dislike buttons (without explicitly stating why and on objective grounds) are for YouTube and FaceBook. You can even order a Trojan to click and inflate the rates, no problemo. From the description of this site, here that is not enough; you need to give educated arguments because people come here to learn and exchange experience. We don't want to use the browser extension Herp Derp on this site for certain comments, do we?
2) The way the topic started is too much Hate Speech against two people I consider my friends and valued colleagues, and Hate Speech is NOT protected by the right for free speech legislation of ANY country in the world.
3) Critique is good if the receiver can do something with it. Since there's no receiver present here, there can be no change, no improvement. This makes the critique in itself pointless.

Other reasons for doing this could be:
a) ego tripping
b) an agenda: telling people not to listen to X ever, because they're not worth listening to.

Not stepping up against any of the above when you see it happen makes us cowards.

Paul
Account discontinued.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 08:30:30 PM
@ lelle

Paul
The problem is that this argument as such does not silence the "right-of-free-speech" arguments/thoughts unless you add something to it.

1) Like-Dislike buttons (without explicitly stating why and on objective grounds) are for YouTube and FaceBook. You can even order a Trojan to click and inflate the rates, no problemo. From the description of this site, here that is not enough; you need to give educated arguments because people come here to learn and exchange experience. We don't want to use the browser extension Herp Derp on this site for certain comments, do we?
2) The way the topic started is too much Hate Speech against two people I consider my friends and valued colleagues, and Hate Speech is NOT protected by the right for free speech legislation of ANY country in the world.
3) Critique is good if the receiver can do something with it. Since there's no receiver present here, there can be no change, no improvement. This makes the critique in itself pointless.

Other reasons for doing this could be:
a) ego tripping
b) an agenda: telling people not to listen to X ever, because they're not worth listening to.

Not standing up against any of the above when you see it happen makes us cowards.

Paul

We must have misunderstood each other a bit. I don't think hate speech or being disrespectful is good, and I also think that saying "LOL KISSIN SUKS HE IS A STUPIDHEAD" brings nothing of value.

What I was referring to wasn't a dislike of Kissin as a person, but I think you do have a right to critcise art, in this case his playing. And why would he need to defend himself? What could possibly Kissin say to convince somebody who doesn't like his playing otherwise? It doesn't matter if he would tell them why he plays like he plays, if they don't like that type of playing it's not going to change that. The most he could do is say "thank you for your feedback". It's an opinion, it's subjective. And expressing that opinion is not the same thing as attacking him and everybody that likes him. But I agree with you that somebody who states his/her opinion also should explain why they think this way.

"I don't like Kissin(s playing), because..." has the potential to create discussion about art and making art. Discussing the art of playing piano and making music is valuable because you can learn from other people's opinions and views. It's not about kicking down or up, it's about that an accomplished artist is making art and exposing it for investigation and discussion. And I think everybody who is interested, no matter if they can "tie two notes together" or not, are welcome to add to that discussion.

Surely you don't think that negative movie reviews shouldn't be written because they could be disrespectful towards the hard work the filmmakers put into their movie (or because the reviewers can't make movies themselves)?

Offline soitainly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37:12 PM
 From what I have heard of his playing, I think Kissen is among the best. At that level everyone has technique, maybe some are better? What I like about his piano playing is that he has the technique to play whatever he wants it seems, and he uses that to make every phrase musical. It must be nice to be able to have such a secure technique that you can make all your choices to shape a phrase the way you want to, and I personally like the choices he makes.

If you want to say that you don't like his tone, then that is fine.  I love his tone, not just because it's bright and crisp, it just works well with the way he plays his music.

I could buy into someone saying that Kissen (or Lang Lang or whoever) are over rated, or that they aren't a favorite. But, to actively dislike them seems a bit much. I hear many musicians with great technique that don't seem to me to make sense musically, those are the ones I "dislike". I never hear Kissen's playing and think that just doesn't work.

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 02:33:20 AM
What I was referring to wasn't a dislike of Kissin as a person, but I think you do have a right to critcise art, in this case his playing.

That's a fair point, but I did not sense that intention in this topic. Had the topic starter given us at least one Work of Art as an example and discussed Kissin's playing It, comparing it against a certain standard, it would have been at least a little bit more convincing.

And why would he need to defend himself? What could possibly Kissin say to convince somebody who doesn't like his playing otherwise?

That's exactly my point. He would look stupid if he came here and did so. My point is that there is no right of not being offended (this goes for him as well as for his fans as for his business manager). Personally, he can't do anything with this kind of critique and neither can anybody else. Had the topic starter been a professional critic, and had he given a more professional view on Kissin's art (that one concert last night or that one purchased Kissin-CD), it would have been more positive. This topic, though, takes Kissin's art as a whole and flushes it down the drain. "Go hang yourself" if it's the only thing you can do and it's your business. I cannot say personally that I have learned anything from what was said against him or against all the others. For example, isn't this a jewel? ->"I'm 100% sure that if rubinstein was alive he would blah blah blah..." (c). Especially the use of lower case for the name of Someone the author is referring to as an authority says it all. (Just kidding)

"I don't like Kissin(s playing), because..." has the potential to create discussion about art and making art. Discussing the art of playing piano and making music is valuable because you can learn from other people's opinions and views.

It all depends. It also depends on who the critic is. I'm a professional retrainer and I can't stand any concerts by virtually any performers of the Modern School. I am so in their movements, I can feel their tensions so well that being more than 5 minutes in a concert hall gives me very real negative physical reactions. Am I a good critic (in the sense of Educator concerning Good Taste)? I don't think so. Any newspaper would make a big mistake by hiring me as a critic unless they have the intention of torpedoing a person's career and/or business interests. I don't think it would make much sense for me or for anybody else either if I were to open a blog with similar reviews, if only for the glory of my own insignificant self.

Surely you don't think that negative movie reviews shouldn't be written because they could be disrespectful towards the hard work the filmmakers put into their movie (or because the reviewers can't make movies themselves)?

If it's done professionally, then it's OK. If not, then there is one problem: we are not here at a birthday party where we can say things informally, drunk as a skunk, and 5 minutes later everything's forgotten. What is written here is public and it stays here for the record for anyone to read. EK's last name was not even written correctly. Evgeny Igorevitch would probably read it, laugh his head off and sigh: "Thank God this is not about me"...

Paul
Account discontinued.

Offline whartley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 03:31:53 AM
I think Kissin is a good pianist.  He's not the best pianist ever, but I think he's rather good and someone I would pay money to see.  Lang Lang is pretty good technically, but I think he is far too flashy and doesn't give the pieces enough emotion.  He does some good interpretations of the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 and a few other pieces, but for the most part I'm not a big fan.  Back to Kissin, I have a lot of respect for him as a pianist and I think he is good to listen to.  I would rather listen to Valentina Lisitsa. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert