Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Could someone help me out please  (Read 5793 times)

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Could someone help me out please
on: November 21, 2012, 08:52:00 PM
Fur Elise:

I marked what confused me. Isn't that the repeat sign? If so, why is it there twice? I don't see one at the beginning of the piece. Also, what do the 1 and 2 above the marked in red mean?

Chopin:

Does that mean the first part is in the C key? If so, how do you play it? in the G key it goes F g A b C D E, so how does it go in the C key? Also, after the 2 first 2 right hand notes the first meassure is closed, does that mean we're back in the G key?

Would someone please note down which notes are the first of the left and right hand movements? This is what I'm reading:

B B right hand first meassure
Nothing left hand meassure

B C B C right hand second measure
GBE x 12 left GB#E x 4 hand second meassure

I had no time to ask my teacher because he gave me the Chopin piece right before the lesson ended and another student came in. We did go through most of the piece though.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Could someone help me out please
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:05:04 PM
in Fur Elise -- those are repeat signs.  The firs one means to repeat back to the beginning of the piece.  Then when you hit again, you play the measure following it and proceed on.  Somewhere out there towards the end (it's been a while) you will find another repeat, sending you back to that second repeat sign.

On the Chopin.  Not quite sure what you mean.  The piece is in E minor.  The "C" marking with the vertical line through it is the time signature, and indicates that there are two major beats to the measure each containing four eighth notes.
Ian

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Re: Could someone help me out please
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:10:58 PM
My bad Ian. I've only been playing/reading music for something longer than 3 months so forgive this simpleton for beginners mistakes. Uhmmm, I thought that C meant the whole bar went to another Key. basically normally we play in the G key uhhh the cleff I mean. Somewhere to the end of the chopin prelude the cleff goes to a bass or in other words turns in the F key.

In Holland we say the F sleutel meaning the F key so maybe I'm translating it wrong. But if the C has to do with the beats than I'm good.

Edit:

Where are my manners? Thank you for the Fur Elise part! Now I can practise on more. According to my teacher nearly everyone can play the first part of Fur Elise but nearly no one can do the second part (exegerated of course, but you get what I mean).

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert