Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Blocking users from commenting on your topics  (Read 2522 times)

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Blocking users from commenting on your topics
on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:28 PM
Why is that such a bad idea? I mean, I simply don't want some people to comment on my topics, because they kill every topic they enter, and the whole discussion always goes way off topic. It's just no fun anymore...

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Blocking users from commenting on your topics
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:40:52 PM
Because exclusivity promotes discrimination.  When there is discrimination, everyone suffers, not just the victims but the perpetrators, though perpetrators rarely make the connection between the effects of their actions and the long term behavior of everyone in this forum.

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:57 PM
Why is that such a bad idea? I mean, I simply don't want some people to comment on my topics, because they kill every topic they enter, and the whole discussion always goes way off topic. It's just no fun anymore...

It's a public forum. If you cant handle freedom of expression, set up a separate forum and bring in whatever intellectual censorship is convenient to you. Also, the only off-topic posts in the thread you refer to occurred in response to an entirely on-topic post by myself. Why on earth should members be permitted to block out fully topical opinions? I find it plain bizarre that anyone would not want to stop to think about conflicting viewpoints to their own. I have learned a phenomenal amount from being disagreed with, over the years. It has done my playing a world of good, to consider conflicting opinions and see how seemingly different approaches fit into a big whole. The only thing I hate is narrow-minded thinking which fixates on tiny parts of the big picture and neglects the rest. It's a mystery to me why anyone would be so thin-skinned as to take offence at a dispassionate logical argument. Some people don't seem to understand the difference between having a point they made disagreed with (which everyone ought to be adult enough to accept the right of others to do) and being attacked as a person.

The very fact that you wish to take ownership of a topic ("your topic"? really?) frankly troubles me. Why would anyone be possessive about a mere topic?

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 05:21:05 AM
I personally don't like J Menz or Ajs commenting on my stuff because they're the same person, but you don't see me complaining about them.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:30:32 AM
but you don't see me complaining about them.

You're constantly whining about it.  :P

On the topic, it is true that some threads go off topic, and some become debating forums in a manner other than intended by the thread starter.  Sometimes those perigrinations are more interesting than the original topics might have suggested, and sometimes they're not.

I don't believe that stopping people from posting in particular threads is either workable or desirable. Any post here is challengable, and there are some here who would, I think, post positions that are eminently challengable and attempt to stifle debate by banning dissenters.

This is a public forum, and there are many more guest viewers than active members - they may be one off visitors who could be seriously mislead that something was a well established scholl of thought when it is in fact the eccentric fantasy of one person.  There must be an opportunity to present a balanced view.

I acknowledge the problem, but I think the proposed solution is worse.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:17:37 PM
I personally don't like J Menz or Ajs commenting on my stuff because they're the same person.

What difference would that make to the validity of our posts even if it were true?

...censorship of certain users is a really bad idea, because this is a public forum. Its a space for free speech and debate. You always get your nutters if you let everyone talk, but this is infinitely less damaging than allowing discrimination against certain users. One can enter into private conversation using the PM function.

Offline the89thkey

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:55:44 AM
Agreed...but if you do have two accounts why not close one, it gets annoying to other users. too much "superiority of Bach" talk going around. ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert