Piano Forum logo
November 19, 2017, 01:55:17 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Sweet and Not So Sweet Sound of Music

Our modern ears are now used to equal temperament, and, despite the impurities in its intervals, now prefer its sound over any other temperament. Researchers at the University of Minnesota wanted to delve more into this and studied 250 students at the University. Their main thesis question was: what makes certain combinations of notes pleasant or unpleasant? Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jazz  (Read 1875 times)
quaver
PS Silver Member

« on: November 29, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »

I am trying to teach myself jazz and have alot of Lee Evans instruction books.  I am stuck on his interpretation of a tetrachord.  He refers to lower jazz tetrachord in C major as A - C - D -Eflat.  The Upper Jazz Tetrachord is E natural - G - A - B flat.  Tetrachords in classical music are whole, whole, half step configuration.  Can anyone enlighten me on the formation of a Jazz tetrachord.  Your reply would be much appreciated. 

Does anyone know of any jazz forums that I could join.  Need alot of help as I am self taught.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
pianoyutube
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »

I strongly recommend you "the jazz piano book" from Mark Levine.
evitaevita
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »

I strongly recommend you "the jazz piano book" from Mark Levine.

I agree.
Have a look at this:
http://books.google.gr/books?id=6s_fFADfl7UC&printsec=frontcover&dq=jazz+piano+book+mark+levine&hl=el&sa=X&ei=mzvsUNP1OoqH4AS68IGwBQ&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA

"I'm a free person; I feel terribly free. They could put me in chains and I still would be free because my thoughts would be mine - and that's all I want to have."
Arthur Rubinstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: