Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: free progress?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
free progress?
on: December 14, 2012, 03:04:15 AM
Just an idea, but I think there's something to it.

I think there are things, at least that I've done, that give my practicing a boost.  Not necessarily even music things.  It's free progress.

Habits.  Making practicing a habit.  A routine.  That's music related, although more technical.  Long term progress there.  There's not really any extra effort though.  Just do a routine, make progress over months and years.  Although habits have that negative side -- You have to do something.  You have to do something the way you've always done it.  If you don't, it just feels wrong.

More of what I was thinking of...
Get extra sleep.  Better healing that way.
Exercise.  This is what I did recently.  I think it's either from more of a workout, more blood pumping from the heart, or.... The body repairing one area, like the legs, but it decides to also repair music-related parts better too while it's at it.

Sleep and exercise were the two big ones I was thinking of, at least for me. 

Nutrition would be too I suppose, but I haven't quite experienced that as directly as sleep and exercise.

So my question... Are there more?  More ways to get free results without really doing much extra work, or any extra music work?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: free progress?
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 03:29:32 AM
Your r spot on in many ways I can try to elaborate morabout he exercise part later but wo techincal speak yeah that too. Sleep is huge more than most will give it credit for I need to find that article I had saved on some sleep studies and music and some professional musicians (I think mainly concert artists violin I think need to check) and the write quoted them as explaining how they realized that lots of quality sleep was just as Important to their progress and ability to perform as practice. I know I can find it again eventually will try to have a look soon. Im off to bed need to get extra sleep (hard day in the gym and practice room today's extra gymnastics and Olympic lifting and I read quite a bit of kapustin which is like trying to do long division math calculations in your head while tapping rhythms..my head was spinning all afternoon....)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 03:33:57 AM
I can try to elaborate morabout he exercise part later but wo techincal speak yeah that too.

** blocks ears, hums loudly. Ladidadidadidadida.....

Sleep is huge more than most will give it credit for

Now you're talking!
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:18:16 AM
Sometimes I just take a break from the piano for a couple of days when I get stuck in a rut.

Offline mahlermaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 02:52:41 PM
You really hit on some important stuff there. Sleep, good nutrition, and exercise help keep our bodies in optimum condition, including the brain. Exercise I do, aerobic kickboxing once or twice a week. Unfortunately for me it's sleep OR piano practice not both!  ;D one day I'll sleep again though.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert