Piano Forum

Topic: What keyboard/digital piano should I purchase?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline n3wb1e

• PS Silver Member
What keyboard/digital piano should I purchase?
on: December 18, 2012, 07:03:31 PM
I've always wanted to learn to play the piano but never had the opportunity to take lessons. I would like to teach myself and am planning on purchasing the Learn and Master Piano series as well as a piano. Unfortunately I can't have a real piano where I live, so my only option is to get a digital one.

My budget is about $500 and I found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Privia-PX-130-88-Key-Digital/dp/B002IVK0FE/

Does anyone have any experience with this piano, or any recommendations for one that might be better?

Thanks so much!

Offline lanierlaw

Re: What keyboard/digital piano should I purchase?
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:36:07 AM
That is a very good choice for your budget. I recommended it to a friend's teens who were wanting to play but couldn't budget an acoustic. It has good sound and action and offers other sounds which add interest. Also it has a USB port to connect to a computer for MIDI purposes. You  can buy computer programs such as Sonar for PC or use Apple's Garage Band to record and make CDs or MP3 s for friends as you advance.

For comparison,  I have a Yamaha ES-8 (the latest is an FX-8) that is an 88 weighted key workstation---that has 1500 to 2000 sounds that cost $3,400 a few years ago, and I use an iMac (pcs crash when running audio/ music programs) with digital interface to write and record; i also have a 6 foot Steinway " L " I bought new around 5 yrs ago... So I'm pretty picky---and I've thought about adding one of those Casios to my toolbox because it is good and lightweight and I can take to gigs. The Yamaha weighs 70 lbs or so without a case. Another plus for the Casio is you don't have to buy an amp, but can use one if desired. Guitar Centers usually have them in stock if you want a test drive. Yes, this a good place to start---I've seen friends buy $5k grands for a "starter" piano for their kids who give it up in a year and a half. If you enjoy, then upgrade! As I've advanced in this hobby, I've moved up the instrument ladder. I hope you enjoy---the great thing about music is there is always more to learn!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert