Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: CD79, track 2, second half  (Read 2159 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
CD79, track 2, second half
on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:52 AM
I have not posted any recordings for ages so here is the second half of one from last month. I usually only start to get excited after the first ten minutes anyway. Now that my technique continues to strengthen, I am trying to put it to work by expanding my vocabulary of playing forms, especially in the matter of non-notatable rhythm. My interest in a priori structure of any sort continues to diminish; organic form, on the other hand, I find increasingly vital and fascinating.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: CD79, track 2, second half
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:12:39 PM
Perpetual motion in your improvs, and changes occurring so naturally its hard to mark where one idea ends and the next begins.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:20:03 PM
Thanks for listening. Your observation pleases me because I too have noticed a tendency away from discrete cell boundaries and toward continuous change. In the beginning it was unconscious but now I am working on it consciously. Contrast and similarity are both important, of course. I thought your comparison, some weeks ago, to a river, most apposite by the way.

Offline fumblefinger

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:18:36 AM
Hi Ted, I am new here and I am very glad I found your improvisation. I Love it. Wish I could see you perform it, I am very impressed with your technique as well as your freedom of expression on the instrument.

I will try and find other work from you. Also loved the cigar tin thing!

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:34:18 AM
Thank you for listening and I am pleased you like my music. Although I wrote a large number of pieces in past years, spontaneous creation suits my sort of mind better, and I have therefore devoted much time and effort to it, especially over the last few years. Thank you for your kind remarks about my technique. I have never had any tuition for that, and have maintained it with my Virgil Practice Clavier. Without forty-five years of using that wonderful device I doubt I would now have the means to rip out ideas as they occur. Alas, a completely home-grown technique is bound to have some deficiencies, one of several of mine being a very inept legato.

Power in improvisation actually comes within a very critical range and balance of freedom and discipline. One without the other is no good, or so I have found.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert