Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Is giving a piano a quicker staccato possible?  (Read 5010 times)

Offline kujiraya

• PS Silver Member
Is giving a piano a quicker staccato possible?
on: December 23, 2012, 04:27:10 PM
Is it possible to get the piano keys to do a quicker staccato? I don't know if it's because I haven't played the piano for over a year, so my technique now sucks, but I remember my old piano having a quicker staccato compared to the new piano. Hmm, let me clarify: the problem I'm having is that when I play repeated staccato quickly on the same note, the hammers don't seem to hit that string(s) the same number of times that I am pressing the key, hmm, or maybe it's the dampers which don't come down quickly enough when I lift the key...not sure...but, what it means is that I have to slow down the tempo for the staccato notes to sound crisply...can this be remedied by a piano technician?
Piano: Yamaha C7 (at home)
Organ: Viscount Vivace 40 (at home) and Hill & Son pipe organ (at church)

Currently working on: Chopin Polonaise Op. 53

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is giving a piano a quicker staccato possible?
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:22:36 PM
In a word -- probably :).  Is it you who hasn't played in over a year, or is it that the piano in question hasn't been played in over a year?  If it is the latter, it is very likely that just simply playing it will help a good deal.  Things inside do stiffen up without use.  This is particularly true if the problem seems to be all over the keyboard.  On the other hand, if it is just one or a few notes, it is quite possible that the repetition action may need a little tweaking, or the dampers freeing up.  That is something a technician can work on for you -- but if the piano hasn't been played much lately, play it at lot before you have someone start to work on it.
Ian

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 03:37:41 AM
You might be interested in reading about the relationship between Glenn Gould and his Steinway D in regard to a quicker staccato... there is a book, "A Romance on Three Legs" which is really focussed on that particular piano, and Gould's efforts to get it the way he wanted it.
Ian

Offline kujiraya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 06:15:31 AM
Thanks for the help! It's probably a combination of both my rusty technique and the new piano not being played often in the shop. I'll keep playing the piano and hopefully the keys will loosen up and improve the staccato. But it's good to know that a technician can probably help if things don't improve with more piano-playing.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:00:19 AM
Thanks for the help! It's probably a combination of both my rusty technique and the new piano not being played often in the shop. I'll keep playing the piano and hopefully the keys will loosen up and improve the staccato. But it's good to know that a technician can probably help if things don't improve with more piano-playing.

It is entirely possible that the piano could use final or re-regulation ( I don't know if this piano is new to you or brand new from the manufacturer). Settng regulation at any rate can help repetition, also initial let off.

It probably is true too that you are a bit rusty but if this probelm continues consider the regulation.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 04:58:18 PM
If it is just 1 or 2 keys that are too slow, fine a technician can improve that.
If the entire piano is slow, I don't know.  One of the differences between good and mediocre pianos in my opinion is the speed of the action.  I do the "one note repeated as fast as possible with two hands" test on a piano before I buy it. I have run into pianos that were too slow at churches, and in relative's homes.  It takes money to make a piano fast, and most purchasers are not demanding enough to check out that dimension.  Spinet models (36" tall or shorter) are inherently slow. My 1941 Steinway and 1982 Sohmer consoles are fast enough for me. A 1982 studio (44") Steinway was slightly faster, but had a very heavy action, and I liked the tone of the 39" Sohmer better, so I bought that one.   
If you live in the US midwest, it is definitely cheaper to pick up a used $200 piano from the 1950's that is inherently fast, rather than spend money on a piano that has design limitations.   

Offline mark7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 10:21:28 PM
There are two issues here - repetition and staccato note length.  The first is an issue of correct regulation, and the secomd is dependent on the timing of the damper lift.

Offline kujiraya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:57:30 PM
I am going to work through every single note by transposing the first page or so of Prokofiev's Toccata in D minor (lots of repeated notes with both hands) into every single key up the entire keyboard, as fast as possible, but this is very hard work! I could only do this exercise in my last practice session for about 1 hour (the lowest 2 octaves) before my hands and fingers got too stiff and sore and tired :-( But at least I know that the piano and I CAN do it with some difficulty :-) although I'm keeping the piano technician's phone number on speed-dial just in case. I also found that cutting my fingernails helped significantly. Kuji out.

Offline vsrinivasa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:09:23 PM
I am going to work through every single note by transposing the first page or so of Prokofiev's Toccata in D minor (lots of repeated notes with both hands) into every single key up the entire keyboard, as fast as possible, but this is very hard work! I could only do this exercise in my last practice session for about 1 hour (the lowest 2 octaves) before my hands and fingers got too stiff and sore and tired :-( But at least I know that the piano and I CAN do it with some difficulty :-) although I'm keeping the piano technician's phone number on speed-dial just in case. I also found that cutting my fingernails helped significantly. Kuji out.

That's probably a good idea. That toccata is so fun to play! I think that should help you.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert