Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Keyboard For Toddler: Suggestions, Please ?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline robert11

• PS Silver Member
Keyboard For Toddler: Suggestions, Please ?
on: January 08, 2013, 01:08:15 PM
Hello,

First, let me say that I know nothing about playing any music, but certainly enjoy listening.
In particular, know Absolutely nothing about Pianos.

Have a 2-1/2 year old Grandson that seems to enjoy playing around with Pianos.
Hits one note, listens as it decays, fascinated by the reverberations, then tries another.
Talent ? Maybe. But would like to foster his interest in Piano.

So, for an upcoming birthday, thought I would perhaps get him one of those digital synthesized keyboards, or something along the same idea.

Amazed at how many there are.
Besides just the Keyboard models, there are also some mini-sized actual Piano looking
furniture styles. Reading all the Amazon reviews is really confusing, especially since I don't have any background with this.

So, for $ 200 max. (less would be a bit better), what do I want ? Why ?

I see that apparently Yamaha and Casio are big names in this. Others ?
Toys-R-Us, somewhat surprisingly, carries a $ 200 Yamaha (keyboard) model, I saw on a recent visit.

How many keys should/must it have for his age ?

Do any of them have some sort of "gimmick" where they actually play chords, etc., with the appropriate key lighting up ? Is this a good idea for him ?

Some of the reviews on Amazon, all pointed out, how tinny and horrible the sounds were on many of the units. Even for some of the pricier units. I guess some actually strike a tuned metal bar (the really bad sounding ones apparently) while some are electronically synthesized and generated (better ?).

Don't want to turn him totally off on this, so don't want "junk".
But $ 200 is really the max. I can go, particularly, if he does take to it, we'll probably be looking for something much better shortly.

Specific Brand and Model suggestions, appropriate for his age, would be most appreciated.

Thanks, really appreciate the help,
Bob

Offline pairra

• PS Silver Member
Re: Keyboard For Toddler: Suggestions, Please ?
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 05:50:23 PM
Since this seems to be an informal experience, you can just get a keyboard from Walmart at about $100. These keyboards will be about 76 keys. Some are 67 and that's the lowest you should go. Don't waste your money on the miniature piano things. Any keyboard will do. Most keyboards have gimmicks but at his age, he won't care so it doesn't matter. Neither will the "sound". If he's like most toddlers he will be pushing buttons, so it will only be on the piano sound for a few days.  Then, prepare yourself for strings, drums, helicopters, screams, ect.

Also, you should probably encourage him in other ways. Go to youtube and have him watch videos of piano players. Purchase the Suzuki piano Cds and have that play in the background several hours a day. Expose him to other music too. Consider mommy and me type music\movement classes.

Hope this helps you out.
Composer, pianist, teacher. The best trifecta of them all.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert