Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Old Dominion Piano, whats the age?  (Read 2883 times)

Offline timothyap5vm

• PS Silver Member
Old Dominion Piano, whats the age?
on: January 11, 2013, 05:28:34 AM
Hi all,
Just bought an old Dominion upright piano cheap.  Buddy included a stool with the glass feet with the Piano. 

I was excited to get this piano because I lost my first piano in a house fire.  That piano was a palmer, and it was ok, but many keys stuck, and it was horribly out of tune.  At the time, I could not care less because it was free, and a present from my wife.

This one was badly out of tune, but was in better shape.  I figured it would be out of tune from moving it, so I had someone come tune it.  An elderly fellow came and went right to work, removing some of the pieces.  He repaired some of the ivories, new feltboard for the keys, tuned it, and told me its an ancient piano, but has alot of life left in it.  This fellow was 86, and has something like 40 years experience!!

My question is, the serial number of the piano is 4993.  Can anyone tell me the age?  Can anyone tell me if they are a decent piano?  It sounds lovely, and me and the wife have fun playing it.
Thanks!!!!
Timothy

Offline timothyap5vm

• PS Silver Member
Re: Old Dominion Piano, whats the age?
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 05:31:11 AM
I'm also working on beethovens moonlight at the moment.  I am able to play the first 30 seconds in the piece, but I practise everyday.  I would like to be able to play many more soon!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:49:19 AM
My guess would be 1886-7.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:14:12 PM

A history of Dominion Piano & Organ courtesy of Downright Upright by Wayne Kelly.

Left click any photo to enlarge...

https://plus.google.com/photos/107990527405079149600/albums/5653060227484968721?authkey=CKjehematLeulwE

Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert