Piano Forum

Poll

What fingering do you use to play LH octave Major/minor chords?

5 3 2 1
0 (0%)
5 4 2 1
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Fingering for Octave Major and minor chords  (Read 4832 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Fingering for Octave Major and minor chords
on: January 18, 2013, 02:11:23 PM
Greetings all...

I think this is the first time I've ever posted a poll, but there's something I've been dying to know that's got me a little concerned. In the last two weeks, I've been doing some serious practice and discovered that when I play octave Major or minor chords (e.g. C E G C'/Eb G Bb Eb' or A C E A'), the way I unintentionally played them in the left hand was with fingers 5 3 2 1.

Recently I've been trying to begin using 5 4 2 1, because it allows better spacing of the fingers and if seems more logical now. I wanted to know what your preference is for all major and minor chords in every single key (which one do you use the most). I only ask because before University I was mostly taught by amateur teachers who let me get away with the most appalling technique. It's only because of my current teacher that I'm really starting to train my hands to play properly.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingering for Octave Major and minor chords
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 02:23:56 PM
Might seem like a stupid comment, but whilst I would use 5321 more were I playing the chord in isolation, it probably depends where the previous chord was, or where you're going to. I think 5421 is probably better if you're seeking to bring out a melodic line in the thumb. Also I suspect the answer will vary according to hand size.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:15:25 PM
Might seem like a stupid comment, but whilst I would use 5321 more were I playing the chord in isolation, it probably depends where the previous chord was

I can just half reach a tenth. For a guy, that's rather bloody small. I doubt I will EVER reach an 11th in either hand as long as I live... and yes, I meant in isolation. The piece that prompted me to question this, was the Bartok Roumanian Dance No. 1, Op 8. There are plenty of Major octave chords, and minor octave chords.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:10:30 AM
54.  My hand is fine with it.  Long ago my piano teacher told me to use that.  It feels right now.

54 for root.
54 for inversion, with octave.
53 for second inversion, with octave.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:12:40 AM
54.  My hand is fine with it.  Long ago my piano teacher told me to use that.  It feels right now.

54 for root.
54 for inversion, with octave.
53 for second inversion, with octave.

Cool... That's what I'm trying to use now. I used to use 53 for root position chords, but frankly 54 seems to have less tension I think.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert