Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Help! Approx Value of This Steinway?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline pianodnub

• PS Silver Member
Help! Approx Value of This Steinway?
on: February 11, 2013, 01:24:32 AM
Please help. I am getting a new piano. I am first buying a crabby steinway, and then I fix it for around $4000 to make everything perfect. The only thing i need help with is I dont know the approx value of a 7-foot steinway. Please give me the real prices, not prices you see in stores. Currently, i know 2 pianos.  price: $10,000, and price: $16,000

thanks!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help! Approx Value of This Steinway?
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:17:11 AM
How old is it?

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:35:06 AM
Location matters.  Age matters. Model matters.  Condition matters.
If you want a grand sorted out, refurbished, at a reasonable shop rate, check the prices of the reseller that advertises on the Lexington, KY craigslist.  He refused to buy the 1941 40" console I paid $1000 for , but did pick up a 1910? full Steinway upright in Shively in good condition for $300.  My console has veneer damaged by lead wheeled children's toys of the 1950's. 

Offline pianodnub

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:28 AM
How old is it?
its around 80 years old. no cracks on soundboard. just bad strings, action, keyboard, and horrible look on outside. Thatll all be fixed, so i just want to know the approx value of a 7-foot steinway in that condition

thanks

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:39:54 AM
So how much are you paying initially?  My tuner says you can't touch a steinway that has a good sound board for less then 10,000$.  I went to see a similar instrument that was a little older, still in good condition, and the owner decided to let Steinway in London have it for 15,000$.  They would fix it up like new and sell it for 22,000$-

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:22:29 PM

its around 80 years old. no cracks on soundboard. just bad strings, action, keyboard, and horrible look on outside. Thatll all be fixed, so i just want to know the approx value of a 7-foot steinway in that condition
thanks

5-7k tops.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline keys60

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:21:17 PM
It varies so wildly. Its impossible to appraise a piano without an expert looking at it. The technician that I study with picked up an S (5 foot 1) in great shape for 3500. It was near the beach so the strings and pins became a little corroded. Changed the strings and tuning pins and flange pins and sold it for 21K. He's now working on an O (5' 10+) that he picked up for 1500.  They both sounded good when he got them. Sure, deals of a lifetime, but you really can't put a 5-10K price tag on an unseen piano. If you restring it and get a complete regulation and it still looks like a beater, maybe 10k. As stated, location means a lot too.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert