Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: February 9th, 2013, two clavichord improvisations  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
February 9th, 2013, two clavichord improvisations
on: February 11, 2013, 02:34:00 AM
I had a bit of a hiatus from this instrument, not sure why. This instrument makes common-practice era tonality far more seductive than any other instrument I have played. I think perhaps it narrows one's focus.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: February 9th, 2013, two clavichord improvisations
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:21:51 AM
What strikes me about these is that you appear to be applying cellular development, probably unconsciously but very successfully, with an instrument and style characteristics from a past era. This certainly reassures me of the versatility of that particular dynamic form, but it also causes me to wonder if people might have actually used it all those years ago before the onset of jelly-mould forms. Perhaps it's nothing new after all; I wouldn't be surprised. I find the music more Derek than baroque because of that property. Bill Harris would have liked these very much, of that I am certain.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:10:29 PM
Thanks for listening, Ted. Not sure why I post these here, I am not sure more than like 2 people are even interested in the clavichord here on this site. I guess I just like sharing.

Every so often I try to make myself understand pedagogical material from the baroque era but I can never quite get it. As you point out, what I'm already employing is more than enough to create music that I really enjoy, so I probably won't ever need to think the way "you're supposed to" about music.  :)

Over time, intrinsic goals of transportation are starting to be clearer to me and the old, youthful extrinsic goals of impressing others are really fading. As that process occurs, so too does my preference for the clavichord seem to increase. Interesting that staying 100% faithful to my musical self has actually brought me to a different instrument entirely.

Offline pankrpec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:18:12 AM
Oh, I like the clavichord and your improvisations on it very much. So there is at least three of us!
All truths, not merely ideas, but truthful faces, truthful pictures or songs, are highly beautiful.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert