Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chromatic 7th Chord: Help with analysis  (Read 6766 times)

Offline timothyvanwing

• PS Silver Member
Chromatic 7th Chord: Help with analysis
on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:26 PM
I am having trouble analyzing this chord. I will try to explain it best I can.
 I am in the key of Eb. I created this chord: F-Ab-Bnatural-D (f°7?) but in the key of Eb, the chord stacks starting on B natural. Therefore it is on the 5th scale degree (raised one half step): Bnatural-D-F-Ab) would that be considered a v°7 (v°°7)?

Offline andreslr6

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chromatic 7th Chord: Help with analysis
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:44:39 PM
I am having trouble analyzing this chord. I will try to explain it best I can.
 I am in the key of Eb. I created this chord: F-Ab-Bnatural-D (f°7?) but in the key of Eb, the chord stacks starting on B natural. Therefore it is on the 5th scale degree (raised one half step): Bnatural-D-F-Ab) would that be considered a v°7 (v°°7)?

It depends on the function, where does it come from and where does it go after that? what's the next chord?

If it's on Eb I automatically assume and I bet that the next chord after it will be a Cm, therefore it will be a vii of iii, the B natural being the leading tone of the relative minor: Cm. :)

Offline timothyvanwing

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chromatic 7th Chord: Help with analysis
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:12:58 PM
Yes, I do have the next chord going to Cminor. I just learned about secondary function yesterday, so it makes sense to me now. Thanks!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert