Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Ability to listen to a piece repeatedly equal to ability to practice it?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Just a thought that popped into mind.

Some pieces of music I can listen to over and over and over. 

I bet I could practice them too.  The repetition part of practice does involve... repetition.  Yes, I focus on different things, but it's still somewhat based on how many times I can stand repeating it.

Are they related?  The same thing?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Not sure they're the same thing, but for me they're certainly related.  I can't be bothered practicing anything I can't stand to listen to again, and really only am interested in doing anything with pieces that bear sustained repeated listening.

Of course, my formal student days are well behind me, so I have no need to suffer through pieces I hate.

Even when I was a student, though, I'd baulk at them. Vocally.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
I have absolutely no tolerance for music I don't like. That's why I never listen to the radio. This also reflects to my practice. If I don't like to listen to a piece, I really cannot practice it enough to learn it. I have tried many times and always failed, after a while I completely lose my motivation and even start avoiding going to the piano. Then again I have no trouble working on the same piece for months every day if I really like it. I have a few pieces that I never seem to get tired of...I can listen to real pianists play them for hundreds of times also.

Right now I practice quite a lot because I have several pieces that I enjoy and only one that is...not that great ...but  I can handle it in small doses.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Not sure they're the same thing, but for me they're certainly related.  I can't be bothered practicing anything I can't stand to listen to again, and really only am interested in doing anything with pieces that bear sustained repeated listening.

Of course, my formal student days are well behind me, so I have no need to suffer through pieces I hate.

Even when I was a student, though, I'd baulk at them. Vocally.
How old are you, anyway?  The tone of your voice puts you at about 20.  Though your expertise sort of belies it, i guess.  You sound like a precocious conservatory student!

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
For me it is not the same thing. Some pieces are just magical and I can work for hours on them or listen to them and they will go through my head all day long either way. Others I like working on but really don't care to listen to someone else play them more than maybe one time. And finally some others I can listen to but the structure is something I don't care to work with and get bored learning them.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
A piece I can listen to repeatedly has to say something new to me each time, or more correctly I suppose, I must hear something new each time. Much the same goes for playing. The idea of reaching an ideal stasis has long gone, although I did feel that in my youth, and I realise the comforting aspect is very important to many listeners. Surprise and serendipity are of the essence at sixty-five, but dependable reaction and comfort were important when I was young. From what I have seen, most people go the other way.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
How old are you, anyway?  The tone of your voice puts you at about 20.  Though your expertise sort of belies it, i guess.  You sound like a precocious conservatory student!

LOL. When I was twenty, Noah was shopping around for gopherwood.  Possibly a case of youth being fleeting but immaturity lasting forever.  ;D

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Let's face it.  Immaturity is a great gift!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert