Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: I hate everyone.  (Read 2196 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
I hate everyone.
on: March 11, 2013, 02:26:31 AM
I am soooo freaking pissed off right now!!!!!

Every time I go on Facebook, I see these stupid Facebook relationship statuses and they're ALWAYS about how the girls are in the wrong!  What the freaking heck?!

And if they're not about relationships, they're about how girls are all a bunch of sluts what the freaking heck?!!?!

pregnant dog and hoe are synonyms for girl what the freaking heck?!?!?!?!!?  Every time I hear someone say that I wanna freaking punch them in the face and pull out all their teeth!  Stupid punks!

And all of the pictures I see are about how girls dress all slutty and make stupid duck faces what the freaking heck?!?!  And then there's a guy below trying to act all pretentious saying something along the lines of, 'you can get a guy if you dress normally and be yourself.  Don't worry about make up' or some other self righteous bullshit like that.  It freaking pisses me off!!!

And what the heck is up with guys crossing their legs?!?!?!?!  Who freaking cares!  I cross my legs.  Wanna know why?  Not because I'm gay, but because it's freaking comfortable!!!!!!

Why the freaking heck can't I freaking show emotion huh?!?!  You're all just a bunch of stupid punks!  

And why the heck in every manga I'm reading, the girl is always the one put in sexually vulnerable positions?!?!?!  What the freaking heck?!?!??!  And sometimes the cover of the chapter is just a girl sitting there in a sexual position and saying something stupid that has absolutely nothing to do with the freaking story!!!!!

Why the heck can't I play piano all day!  Sorry guys, but I'm not a bunch of senseless douchebags like you, I don't like to bust you guys in basketball every day, so stop raging at me when I decline your freaking invite!  All you guys talk about after games is about girls, and you all SUCK!!!  I'm sick of playing with you losers!!!

Why the heck in all forms of entertainment, the women is the inferior character?!?!?!

And I'm not saying this just to be on the side of women, I don't care.  But it is what it is.  This sh*t is getting ridiculous.  I'm soooo mad!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Re: I hate everyone.
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:31:44 AM
I am soooo freaking pissed off right now!!!!!

Every time I go on Facebook, I see these stupid Facebook relationship statuses and they're ALWAYS about how the girls are in the wrong!  What the freaking heck?!

Delete your account. Problem solved.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:35:42 AM
Delete your account. Problem solved.

I just deleted about 650 friends over the weekend.

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:47:48 AM
I think you have 'littletune' syndrome.

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:53:55 AM
I just deleted about 650 friends over the weekend.

I've never had that many. I keep a revolving door policy. A few psychology studies have indicated you can only effectively maintain ~300 relationships in your life. I keep my friend count at an even 400, giving me some leeway for who I want to eliminate when I make a new friend.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:54:10 AM
I think you have 'littletune' syndrome.

I still don't know enough about littletune to decide whether that's a compliment or an insult.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:55:42 AM
A few psychology studies have indicated you can only effectively maintain ~300 relationships in your life.

I've heard of that and I thought it was between 180 and 230.

Anyways, I'm not going over that number.

I would have less friends, but I need answers for take-home calc tests.

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 02:58:09 AM

I'll have to look it up again. If this is true I have some decisions to make.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:30:00 AM

Anyways, I'm not going over that number.

I would have less friends, but I need answers for take-home calc tests.

I can't give you calculous answers.
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:37:35 AM
I knew it sounded familiar....

(Grumpy cats don't smile.  Stop that.  Nor do they smirk.  Smirking counts as smiling.)

(Yes, it does.)
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 03:43:57 AM
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 03:45:22 AM
Rach4,

It's a form of social policing.  Everyone is scared to do anything wrong, especially during the preteen and teenage years.  These are the years that they are abandoned to figure it out for themselves.  Without adult guidance, they look at each other for it and whatever is the norm becomes the norm that everyone strives for, conscious or unconscious.  The sad thing about this is that real life (i.e. outside of school) doesn't work quite like this.  Real life is an open ocean, not a fish bowl.

Offline koopakool

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 03:51:00 AM
what the? I have 28 friends on facebook, and they are all well, friends! I don't get that sh*t you're describing. I never ever understood how people can have 300 friends  ::)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 04:00:19 AM
what the? I have 28 friends on facebook, and they are all well, friends! I don't get that sh*t you're describing. I never ever understood how people can have 300 friends  ::)

I had around 800 something.  Because I didn't care at first.  If you sent me a friend request, I would automatically accept it.

No but yeah, there are people who have friends in the thousands.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 04:03:03 AM
Clearly you need a better class of friends.

The good news is that that's what College is for.

And are people still using FB? Really?  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 06:09:46 AM
Yeah.  I have one account for my music major "friends" that I've deactivated because musicians are so annoying.

I have another for my dance "friends" and former students that is currently active.

And I recently opened a new account because I don't want any "friends" on it.  This one is for me because I enjoy my privacy.

Otherwise, I'm using Piano Forum, INTJ Forum, and Dance-Forum.  I prefer these forums to FB and I don't know anyone in person here.  Funny how that is.

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 07:04:10 AM
I just think it's kind of depressing, after so many years of the women's movement, that so many guys still do this ridiculous macho posturing, as if they're so insecure in their masculinity that they have to put women down. In fact in some ways it seems to be getting worse since the arrival of the internet. Yes I know a lot of these guys are very young, and at a vulnerable age blah blah blah, but these attitudes often extend into their twenties and beyond.

I'm not on Facebook, but I often see really horrifying comments on YouTube (which isn't moderated). Racism and homophobia too, like you wouldn't believe. There, that's my rant for the day.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 07:17:30 AM
Feminism kind of died as a mainstream thing in the last 2 decades, and now stupidity is back as a main charachter of teenage girls (and unfortunately not so rare also in adult women)...and I guess it always was common for the teenage boys. Youngsters these days also have so much time and devices to express their stupidity. But if you get lucky R-4 you might actually find people your age with some sense in their heads...maybe not in facebook though.

I was never interested in facebook but I think I exceeded my life limit of friends many years ago and have effectively been deleting them. Friends can take so much of your time and time is the thing one can not get more...I guess friends are good to have if you enjoy activities where other people are necessary but I seldom do... ;D

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 07:49:28 AM
Feminism kind of died as a mainstream thing in the last 2 decades, and now stupidity is back as a main charachter of teenage girls (and unfortunately not so rare also in adult women)...and I guess it always was common for the teenage boys. Youngsters these days also have so much time and devices to express their stupidity.
I'm not saying for one second that teenage girls are any more tolerable than teenage boys. But somehow they're not as obtrusive. And feminism is far from dead, it's just evolved, as have we all. I hope.

As for having too much time -- I remember well having all kinds of free time at that age, back before every after-school minute was scheduled for some improving activity. But of course we didn't have computers, so we couldn't annoy total strangers.

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 08:56:18 AM
 I think Facebook promotes insecurity and narcissism on the general public. People should be more satisfied with their own company.
 An extrovert feels most at ease when in the company of others. As piano playing requires long periods of time alone would it be a fair comment to say that by nature most pianists are introverted?..I for one am, and I am pleased to have this trait.
"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 12:23:20 PM

Having and using are two different things. I have it but don't use it. People frequently take long breaks from it. I didn't open it for almost 3 years. On the other hand, it has my documented history on it. I like to be able to look back on the photos occasionally.

On the other hand, it is actually a social 'utility'. My grandmother is on FB because it allows her to keep in contact with her family. She is from Belgium and her entire family is there except my mother and aunt. It's a good way for her to keep abreast of her family members' lives.

feminism is far from dead, it's just evolved, as have we all. I hope.

Feminism has evolved to fall into the quiet background of the louder femi-nazis. It always impresses me how people think the louder they are the more valid their point. All they manage to do is drown out the cool-headed intelligent folks.

I just think it's kind of depressing, after so many years of the women's movement, that so many guys still do this ridiculous macho posturing, as if they're so insecure in their masculinity that they have to put women down. In fact in some ways it seems to be getting worse since the arrival of the internet. Yes I know a lot of these guys are very young, and at a vulnerable age blah blah blah, but these attitudes often extend into their twenties and beyond.

I'm not on Facebook, but I often see really horrifying comments on YouTube (which isn't moderated). Racism and homophobia too, like you wouldn't believe. There, that's my rant for the day.

This goes back to my 'being loud' point. I really don't think the number has grown, it's just easier to find it. Beyond that, the internet is tough place to actually interpret anything you read. I am an EXTREMELY sarcastic person, and am often thought to be an *** on the internet. It's because most people don't pick up on sarcasm without non-verbal communication. Many of those people you mention could easily be exaggerating for a sarcastic point. Hell, I've done EXACTLY what you are mentioning and I'm nothing like that. The problem comes in that the people I was communicating to understand me and my point. The people that don't know me interpret it wildly different.

I guess my point is that the internet is a latrine. It's silly to make any legitimate conclusions about humanity from looking at just the sh*t that floats to the top.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 01:34:29 PM
People, this stuff is exactly why I hate social networking.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 02:05:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that it was only between about 70 and 90 maximum. Anyway, I only have 68 friends on Facebook.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 03:03:03 PM
I dont have a facebook. I have soundcloud.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 04:14:13 PM
I dont have a facebook. I have soundcloud.

I don't have a car. I have a toaster.

And if they're not about relationships, they're about how girls are all a bunch of sluts what the freaking heck?!!?!

I can't speak for your Facebook feed, but before I deleted mine, I saw an equal number of "girls are all sluts" and "guys are all evil and don't care about your feelings and will cheat on you and forget your birthday" posts. Sure, it's dumb, but I don't see it as a huge problem--it's just teenagers' way of dealing with all their sexual frustration and hormones. They'll (probably) grow out of it.

pregnant dog and hoe are synonyms for girl what the freaking heck?!?!?!?!!?  Every time I hear someone say that I wanna freaking punch them in the face and pull out all their teeth!  Stupid punks!

And all of the pictures I see are about how girls dress all slutty and make stupid duck faces what the freaking heck?!?!  And then there's a guy below trying to act all pretentious saying something along the lines of, 'you can get a guy if you dress normally and be yourself.  Don't worry about make up' or some other self righteous bullshit like that.  It freaking pisses me off!!!

Stupid sh*t, but again, probably grow out of it. Except that pretentious ***, he's gonna be just that annoying when he's 40.

And what the heck is up with guys crossing their legs?!?!?!?!  Who freaking cares!  I cross my legs.  Wanna know why?  Not because I'm gay, but because it's freaking comfortable!!!!!!

Then keep crossing your legs and if someone comments on it, ignore them.

Why the freaking heck can't I freaking show emotion huh?!?!  You're all just a bunch of stupid punks!  

You're doing a pretty good job right now.

And why the heck in every manga I'm reading, the girl is always the one put in sexually vulnerable positions?!?!?!  What the freaking heck?!?!??!  And sometimes the cover of the chapter is just a girl sitting there in a sexual position and saying something stupid that has absolutely nothing to do with the freaking story!!!!!

Because it sells.

Why the heck can't I play piano all day!

Because life's a pregnant dog and then you die (but Nas has a solution for that)

I'm soooo mad!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Has your emotional range stretched from binary to a spectrum while I was gone? Last I remember, you only had two states: salty and not salty.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 04:37:40 PM
Whats your issue djosepha? Cheer up! Life is like a toaster. You gotta plug it in before you can make toast.  8)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 11:25:22 PM
You gotta plug it in before you can make toast.  8)

Only if it's one of those newfangled electric ones. Mine you just hold in front of the fire.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 02:56:55 AM
. Sure, it's dumb, but I don't see it as a huge problem--it's just teenagers' way of dealing with all their sexual frustration and hormones. They'll (probably) grow out of it.

Umm... don't be so (probably) sure.  Research indicates that sexist attitudes form very young, during childhood and even during babyhood.  If the culture sustains it, then these people will most likely become sexist as adults.  This is why some frat house have a "rape room" and sexual harassment and rape is rampant in the military.  These people don't grow out of it, they just use it rape women. ::)

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 05:33:02 AM
Umm... don't be so (probably) sure.  Research indicates that sexist attitudes form very young, during childhood and even during babyhood.  If the culture sustains it, then these people will most likely become sexist as adults.

I'd agree with you if this were actually all sexism. Rach's post said that he sees facebook posts about relationships where girls are always in the wrong. Presumably, these are guys complaining about their girlfriend (or, more likely, ex-girlfriend). It makes sense (though is still childish) for someone, after ending a relationship, to talk sh*t about their ex. Since most of these guys are probably heterosexual, they're complaining about their ex girlfriends, who also happen to be female. They're not necessarily complaining about them because they're female, but instead because they're the sex that they are attracted to. In the same way, my facebook feed was often cluttered with posts by girls complaining about their ex boyfriends. I also know gay men who would complain about how awful guys are on Facebook--am I to take it that they are also sexist? Men who hate men? I guess that's not impossible, but that's not the takeaway I get from the situation.

Given the amount of frustration from a breakup or rejection, it's easy for someone to group a person they are/were attracted to with others from the pool they are attracted to. "My boy/girlfriend cheated on me. All boys/girls will cheat on me." I'm not going to deny that this is still a sexist sentiment, but I don't think it's based on a deep-seated hatred or feeling of superiority over the opposite sex. Sure, there definitely are people in these groups who are very sexist and will not grow out of it. But I think it's misguided to assume that for the majority of these people, it's not just a phase.

This is why some frat house have a "rape room" and sexual harassment and rape is rampant in the military.  These people don't grow out of it, they just use it rape women. ::)

Nice non-sequitur. You're implying a few things here. First, that frats and the military attract sexists. Second, that rape is a crime primarily motivated by sexism or committed by sexists. It'll take a bit of convincing to get me to believe that.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:56 AM
Nice non-sequitur. You're implying a few things here. First, that frats and the military attract sexists. Second, that rape is a crime primarily motivated by sexism or committed by sexists. It'll take a bit of convincing to get me to believe that.

Yes, military and fraternities/sororities attract sexist because these institutions are fundamentally discriminatory based on sex.  In countries that are more equal on gender, rates of rape and sexual harassment is also very low such as the Scandinavian countries.  In countries where gender equality is non-existent, rape and harassment is very high such as in middle eastern countries.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 08:37:44 PM
Yes, military and fraternities/sororities attract sexist because these institutions are fundamentally discriminatory based on sex.

Sororities are also discriminatory based on sex, yet they don't appear to have any increased rate of rape over other groups (as far as I'm aware--correct me if I'm wrong). Same with a group of mothers in my hometown who meet regularly to discuss parenting. Did you ever consider that the reason the rape rate is high in the military is because the military attracts people who like violence, danger, and masculinity, and those types of people, who are attracted to these primal instincts, are also less likely to resist other primal urges? All-male prisons (which also consist largely of people who like violence and danger) also have high rates of rape, and they aren't raping women in there.

In countries that are more equal on gender, rates of rape and sexual harassment is also very low such as the Scandinavian countries.  In countries where gender equality is non-existent, rape and harassment is very high such as in middle eastern countries.

That's more an issue of governmental sexism than individual sexism. Your argument was that sexist people commit rape, but your evidence points more towards sexist societies have higher rates of rape. While you could make an argument that the reason sexist societies have higher rates of rape is because sexist societies have more sexists, and sexists are more likely to commit rape, that point does not clearly follow from what you argued. Sexist societies indeed tolerate the rape of women much more than societies with legal equality and closer to societal equality. Because it is tolerated as a society, "normal" people commit rape. People do it because they do not value the woman as a normal human being. Compare to slave-owners who considered their slaves sub-human and so justified cruel treatment. Many slave-owners were otherwise completely normal people.

However, in a society where rape is not tolerated, those who do commit rape are going against societal standards for behavior and morality. Perhaps some of them do view women as less than men, but there are plenty of rapists who do not commit it because they don't think women are worth as much as men, but rather, simply because they do not think anyone is worth as much as themselves and their sexual urges. Likewise, there are plenty of anti-female sexists who would never consider raping a woman.

As for date-rape, you could argue that it is committed by sexist men who do not value a woman's right to say no, but would never dream of "actually" raping her. (Many justify it to themselves by saying, "Well...she didn't really say no or struggle" even though it was clear she did not want it.) This'd be a great argument, if it weren't for statistics. Looking at this report, on pages 18-19, you'll see that 1.27 million women 1.27 million men are estimated to have been raped within the year leading up to the survey, though the male rape is not identified as such. It is listed for men as "Made to penetrate". Presumably, since most men could physically overpower most women, the majority of these men were date-raped. So, we're left with two possible conclusions. One, that these male and female rapists are both sexist against the opposite sex, in which case our problem is not sexism against women, but rather that a large portion of men and women hate each other; or two, much more likely, that these rapes are not motivated by sexism, but rather just people who do not value other people's bodies as much as they value their own desires.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 11:13:06 PM
Sororities are also discriminatory based on sex, yet they don't appear to have any increased rate of rape over other groups (as far as I'm aware--correct me if I'm wrong).
Sororities may have higher rates of date rape (they are the ones getting raped, not committing it) because they promote the stereotype of women, and that means behaviors must conform to such stereotypical standards.

Same with a group of mothers in my hometown who meet regularly to discuss parenting.
But this is not about gender, it's about parenting.

Did you ever consider that the reason the rape rate is high in the military is because the military attracts people who like violence, danger, and masculinity, and those types of people, who are attracted to these primal instincts, are also less likely to resist other primal urges? All-male prisons (which also consist largely of people who like violence and danger) also have high rates of rape, and they aren't raping women in there.
I agree with this.  Also because military culture promotes masculinity and demoralizes women-typical traits.

That's more an issue of governmental sexism than individual sexism.
Government is created by the people, not the other way around.  If the people are sexist, then their government will also be sexist.

Your argument was that sexist people commit rape, but your evidence points more towards sexist societies have higher rates of rape. While you could make an argument that the reason sexist societies have higher rates of rape is because sexist societies have more sexists, and sexists are more likely to commit rape, that point does not clearly follow from what you argued.

No, I wouldn't make that argument.  Sexist societies produce sexist people.  Just like homophobic societies produce homophobes.  It's the culture that teaches people what is expected behavior.  The fact that so many young people in the US still make sexist statements against the other gender illustrates this.

I would claim that one reason for this is the segregation of the genders in mixed-gender schools.  The segregation isn't intentional, as in single-sex schools, but is done behaviorally by teachers treating males and females differently.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 11:28:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that it was only between about 70 and 90 maximum. Anyway, I only have 68 friends on Facebook.

I have trouble maintaining more than 1 close personal relationship..

When the hell would I play piano if I had to hang out with friends all the time..

My facebook actually has about 300 people on it.. but I'm not sure that I actually care about more than 20-30 of them..   plus now that the newsfeed is full of 'sponsored' posts from businesses I usually find myself screaming at it about how disgusting it is.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 03:17:39 AM
Sororities may have higher rates of date rape (they are the ones getting raped, not committing it) because they promote the stereotype of women, and that means behaviors must conform to such stereotypical standards.

I hope you're not implying that the women's actions are causing them to be raped, because I know a few people who'd have very little nice to say to you after that.

But this is not about gender, it's about parenting.

Men are also often parents (at roughly the same rate as women), but they aren't invited to the group.

I agree with this.  Also because military culture promotes masculinity and demoralizes women-typical traits.

I would agree with your statement as well. However, the military demoralizes women-typical traits not because it is sexist, but because women-typical traits have no place in war.

Government is created by the people, not the other way around.  If the people are sexist, then their government will also be sexist.

Certainly that is true as a whole, but the government doesn't represent all the people, only the majority, as well as select plurality opinions. I was talking about individuals who are sexist being more likely to commit rape, even in a society that is as-a-whole non-sexist and intolerant of rape.

I would claim that one reason for this is the segregation of the genders in mixed-gender schools.  The segregation isn't intentional, as in single-sex schools, but is done behaviorally by teachers treating males and females differently.

Could you explain this a little more? I've found in my experience in schools that male-typical characteristics are actually the ones teachers hate the most. I've also read many places (and noticed myself, although obviously I cannot be impartial) that schools cater more towards females than males, especially at lower levels.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01:24 PM
I hope you're not implying that the women's actions are causing them to be raped, because I know a few people who'd have very little nice to say to you after that.
YES, I AM!  I would never have said this until a few months ago until I started researching gender and sexism.  There's a reason why some raped women are called "slut", "she deserved it", "look at the way she was dressing/acting", etc.  It's because of the way they acted that got them into that position to begin with.

A female who holds sexist views will alter her behaviors to conform to the stereotype of her gender.  This includes submissiveness and passivity in front of males.  These behaviors are interpreted by males as being sexually permissive.  Thus, if the male has the intent and the opportunity, he will rape the female.

Men are also often parents (at roughly the same rate as women), but they aren't invited to the group.
Men probably don't care about improving their parenting skills.  Also, these women-centric parenting groups are probably just an excuse to get together and chit chat and compare themselves to other mothers, not actually improve their parenting.  If they really wanted to improve their parenting, they'd study psychology of parenting.

I would agree with your statement as well. However, the military demoralizes women-typical traits not because it is sexist, but because women-typical traits have no place in war.
That's a sexist statement based on sexist ideals.  Women can train to be as skilled as men in combat.

Certainly that is true as a whole, but the government doesn't represent all the people, only the majority, as well as select plurality opinions. I was talking about individuals who are sexist being more likely to commit rape, even in a society that is as-a-whole non-sexist and intolerant of rape.
We're in agreement.  There will always be people outside of a standard deviation from the mean.

Could you explain this a little more? I've found in my experience in schools that male-typical characteristics are actually the ones teachers hate the most. I've also read many places (and noticed myself, although obviously I cannot be impartial) that schools cater more towards females than males, especially at lower levels.
I agree with you and I was speaking about sexism committed by women teachers against male students.  While my elementary school years were sexism-free, I've recently witnessed these acts by sexist female teachers.  The results were that the boys behaved in ways that most people would describe as "demoralized".  They acted demure, quiet, shameful.  The girls the opposite: boastful, proud, even arrogant and privileged.

Negative Stereotypes About Boys Hinder Their Academic Achievement
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130212100554.htm

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:14 PM

A female who holds sexist views will alter her behaviors to conform to the stereotype of her gender.  This includes submissiveness and passivity in front of males.  These behaviors are interpreted by males as being sexually permissive.  Thus, if the male has the intent and the opportunity, he will rape the female.

Either way, "rape" is not the appropriate action for a male to take toward a submissive female. And he who acts is responsible. Women should have the right to dress/act the way they see fit to attract a male into consensual relationship, without the threat of being raped for it.

As a man, if you're paying attention it is obvious whether a female actually wants to be in the situation or not, regardless of whether they are submitting/permissive of the situation. You can choose to back off until such time that your partner is comfortable. And while I expect that doesnt always happen, its not the woman's fault, ever.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 12:20:09 AM
YES, I AM!  I would never have said this until a few months ago until I started researching gender and sexism.  There's a reason why some raped women are called "slut", "she deserved it", "look at the way she was dressing/acting", etc.  It's because of the way they acted that got them into that position to begin with.

My statement was meant rather sarcastically, because certain actions do make a female more likely to get raped. Yes, as ajspiano points out, it clearly still isn't the moral fault of the victim, but there are actions that, while they should not be necessary, can reduce the risk of being raped.

Men probably don't care about improving their parenting skills.

Absurdly sexist statement.

Also, these women-centric parenting groups are probably just an excuse to get together and chit chat and compare themselves to other mothers, not actually improve their parenting.  If they really wanted to improve their parenting, they'd study psychology of parenting.

It's not necessarily about being better parents, but more about just sharing experiences as parents.

That's a sexist statement based on sexist ideals.  Women can train to be as skilled as men in combat.

Of course they can, but not by keeping traditionally female attributes. "Traditionally female" attributes include things like being caring, nurturing, kind, and, unfortunately, submissive. Being submissive is the only one of those traits that is useful in the army, but that type of submission is a different type.

I agree with you and I was speaking about sexism committed by women teachers against male students.  While my elementary school years were sexism-free, I've recently witnessed these acts by sexist female teachers.  The results were that the boys behaved in ways that most people would describe as "demoralized".  They acted demure, quiet, shameful.  The girls the opposite: boastful, proud, even arrogant and privileged.

Negative Stereotypes About Boys Hinder Their Academic Achievement
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130212100554.htm

Ah, glad to hear it. That was my experience throughout (public) elementary school. Luckily for me, despite the fact that these teachers had completely destroyed any desire I had to learn, I continued to try to do well because that's just what I like to do. (Private) middle school, that all switched and I had a much more positive experience. I couldn't tell you if that was related to elementary vs middle school, public vs private, or what, but things started to improve drastically then. It's also worth noting that I had all female teachers up until middle school.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 03:54:20 AM
My statement was meant rather sarcastically, because certain actions do make a female more likely to get raped. Yes, as ajspiano points out, it clearly still isn't the moral fault of the victim, but there are actions that, while they should not be necessary, can reduce the risk of being raped.
I do wonder if women, who do not normally dress and act that way, are unprepared to handle the kind of attention that comes about from dressing and acting that way.  There have been experiments that show that women will fall back onto their stereotypical gender behaviors for the "appropriate" course of action when gender becomes salient.  (This behavior later became known as "stereotype threat".) So, I imagine that the novices have not learned how to handle themselves when the opportunity arises that a male, with the intent to rape, attempts it.

Absurdly sexist statement.
This is an assumption on part but I bet that parenting classes are attended more by mothers than by fathers, even when the father is living in the same household with the child, and he has time to do so.

It's not necessarily about being better parents, but more about just sharing experiences as parents.
So it's a support group.  I'd stay away from these kinds of groups because ignorance can potentially run rampant, such as fears that vaccines will cause their children to become autistic.  As a result, fewer children get standard vaccine treatments and cases of measles, mumps and rubella have been on the rise with some of their own children dying.  But this is the more severe of outcomes.

Of course they can, but not by keeping traditionally female attributes. "Traditionally female" attributes include things like being caring, nurturing, kind, and, unfortunately, submissive. Being submissive is the only one of those traits that is useful in the army, but that type of submission is a different type.
Reminds me of the movie G.I. Jane (1997) staring Demi Moore.  Comparing it to most recent news, the portrayal of her experiences is Hollywood fiction.  Women in the marines experience things much worse in real life than Jane did.

Ah, glad to hear it. That was my experience throughout (public) elementary school. Luckily for me, despite the fact that these teachers had completely destroyed any desire I had to learn, I continued to try to do well because that's just what I like to do. (Private) middle school, that all switched and I had a much more positive experience. I couldn't tell you if that was related to elementary vs middle school, public vs private, or what, but things started to improve drastically then. It's also worth noting that I had all female teachers up until middle school.
Was the private school single-sex or mixed-sex?  The research indicates that single-sex classrooms indirectly teaches gender stereotypes, the precursor to sexism.  There's one "psychologist" who promotes single-sex education and was the reason behind the US government supporting it.  He cherry picked his data, only using those that support his ideas, while ignoring other data directly contradicting it.  Some of the sources for his claims are dubious, such as a website about how males and females hear differently.  I'd like to see an actual, peer-reviewed study listed as a source, not a website that the author cites multiple times in the same book.

But the reason I think he promotes single-sex education has a lot to do with his own sexism.    This is his book:
https://www.amazon.com/Why-Gender-Matters-Teachers-Differences/dp/0767916255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363491148&sr=8-1&keywords=gender+differences

But even when it's mixed, such as the one elementary school I mentioned, sexist teachers can have a negative effect on their students.  The students are now in middle school and one of the behaviors that is noticeable is a kind of self-hate, especially from the girls.  This is another way of saying "b*tch" without having to say it.  Okay, I'll say it: A disproportionate number of the girls who attended this elementary school turned out to be b*tches.  They display overt sexist attitudes and behave in gender-stereotypical ways.  They tend to treat boys as objects, like a fashion accessory to have because a girl is supposed to be in a relationship.  They expect the boys to act like boys and denigrate those who don't conform to that stereotype.  These are 13-year-olds.  The atmosphere is noticeable negative.

Compared to the other students from non-sexist elementary schools, their behaviors are much more egalitarian.  They are generally nicer and more studious.  The negative attitudes that were present with the sexist school is noticeably missing.  They will interact with the opposite sex beyond just bf/gf.  These are the kinds of positive behaviors from egalitarian schools.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 04:47:07 AM
I hate people: the few times that I go to hang out with a childhood friend...

A freaking 2012 lexus SUV stopped into my car. It was a freaking red light turn lane and she said she thought I was gonna go ...and so I should have went and hit that car that was passing by...lol
She chipped my paint and ruined my day. And my car looks a little worse, too. Which means other stupid people will treat me like crap on the road because they have new giant cars and mine is very very small and now beat up even more! No, i did not report her because I chose the freedom to talk crap about her poor driving skills, instead. Muahaha
Besides, its just a chip...i have more important things, like piano.
 But seriously! How did all these idiots end up in one spot?! No space to breathe or turn around, someone is screaming in your ear "bkshsgfhvb im a jerk and i talk loud into stranger's ears even though I'm really trying to talk to my friend on the phone who is in the restroom 2 ft away with 15 other girls fart burp giggle* check yourself, people! What about the loosers who are like a million years old, husband and wife, hopefully, touching each other inappropriately in public ..im standing in line, bracing myself when these people scoot up close and light a freaking cigarrette!... Hold up! Do you see this hair?! It is eeeextra long, and is suuper flammable, and I will keep turning around and acting b***y until you back up or put that healthy stick out...OMG there ARE still people out there who do not want to live like sloppy worthless turds. So please, stop pissing me off, get off my tailgate, stop running over animals, put out your cig, turn down your crappy music, get out of my invite only circle, and SMILE...sheeesh! And pay your taxes!!!!!!

Me=>:(

My teg= :(

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: March 22, 2013, 12:46:25 AM
Unless you change your punkass mindset, you'll never know what it's like to be with an attractive woman. Grow up, kid.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 05:18:32 AM
How do you see how many friends you have? (On FB)

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 05:38:13 AM
How do you see how many friends you have? (On FB)
When you view your own profile there is a link to your friends, and underneath it is says how many there are. I have 273, apparently..

..could've sworn I had more, people must be unfriending me. Bastards.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 07:01:25 AM
207!!!  But one of them passed away last year.   But then i actually went to look at who they were and some of them i didn't even recognize!  Don't know how that happened...

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: March 22, 2013, 07:52:30 AM
But then i actually went to look at who they were and some of them i didn't even recognize!  Don't know how that happened...

Tricks through "friends of friends". Better hide friends list for everybody in profile (uncheck "Show friends in profile").
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 12:44:57 AM
Reddit is so much better than Facebook. Period.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 06:00:45 PM
Unless you change your punkass mindset, you'll never know what it's like to be with an attractive woman. Grow up, kid.

Are you talking to me?!

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 12:07:46 AM
You need to cancel your FB account and be more choosy about your friends. You should read "idiot america: how stupidity became a virtue in the land of the free" even if you're not american. It goes into depth about the things in the current society that we tolerate, that we really shouldn't. It will make you feel much better about yourself.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=idiot+america&sprefix=idiot+america%2Caps%2C820

And .. you need to read different manga. I bet you read Shounen manga right?
Have you seen Nodame Cantabile?
Have you read Tramps Like Us aka You're the Pet aka Kimi wa Petto aka きみはペット?
Well I could give you a whole list of manga I enjoy that don't have women in random naughty positions saying randomly stupid things.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 03:51:14 AM

And .. you need to read different manga. I bet you read Shounen manga right?
Have you seen Nodame Cantabile?
Have you read Tramps Like Us aka You're the Pet aka Kimi wa Petto aka きみはペット?
Well I could give you a whole list of manga I enjoy that don't have women in random naughty positions saying randomly stupid things.

Actually I don't like Shounen manga.  The storyline is usually really stupid AND they objectify women at the same time. 

I read Senien.

And yes, I read Nodame Cantabile twice. :D

But not the other stuff. 

I just finished tower of god, but half of the pages of the first freaking 30 chapters are soo god damn blurry so you freaking miss out soo much stuff and you're freaking clueless on the rest of the chapters! 

And that's for EVERY WEBSITE I've tried!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert