Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Early 1900s Ludwig upright; anyone know exactly what year?  (Read 7455 times)

Offline davidjacot

• PS Silver Member
Hello! I'm having my parents' old Ludwig upright moved from their house in St. Louis to mine in California. I grew up playing this piano, and no one has really touched it since, except for my parents' cats who barfed on it more than once (thankfully the keyboard cover was closed!).

Near as I can tell it is from somewhere between 1901 and about 1910. A decal inside shows the awards Ludwig won in 1900 (Paris), and 1901 (Buffalo), so I know its no older than 1901. It has a bit of decoration on it, more than the post-Victorian austere models of the early 1910s, but not as much as the late Victorian holdovers of, say, 1901.

Anybody have a tighter estimate of what year it was built?

Offline silverwoodpianos

Re: Early 1900s Ludwig upright; anyone know exactly what year?
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:52:47 PM

There should be a four or five digit number stamped on the plate, that needs to be supplied if you want the build date.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline davidjacot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:08:43 PM
Ok I'll have my parents find the number. Once I have it, how do I use it to determine build date? Is there a list?

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:53 PM
Ok I'll have my parents find the number. Once I have it, how do I use it to determine build date? Is there a list?

Let's see;

Good

Post the number here.

There are a few lists available.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert