Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: French Manicure & Piano...  (Read 12561 times)

Offline dinulip

• PS Silver Member
French Manicure & Piano...
on: April 13, 2013, 01:53:16 AM
One of my new pupils, a 12-year old girl, seems to be quite keen to learn.  However, she refuses to give up on the idea of having long and pretty finger nails...  Actually, three months ago when she started studying with me, they were not so long -- although not as short as I would have liked.  I told her and her mom at least a couple of times that piano and long finger nails don't really go along well...  But the message never really got through.  I was willing to live with the situation, at least for a while, until last week when she showed up with finger nails that looked like this :

https://www.inspa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/somethingpolishedblogspot.jpg

I was a little shocked, to say the least  :o .  However, as she is a very shy and anxious child, I decided to make no comment and give myself a little time to think about what to do next. 

If anyone of you has been in this situation before, please let me know how you handled it!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: French Manicure & Piano...
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 02:05:56 AM
For a 12-year old girl, that seems quite the norm to me.  Even when i was that age, i remember my piano teacher complaining about some of her female students not wanting to clip their nails.  I think she gave them some easy dances by albeniz or some other spanish composer so they would sound like they were playing with castanets!

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 02:10:36 AM
The first time she gets one of those lovely fingernails caught between a sharp and a natural and tears it... she will either give up piano or fingernails!
Ian

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 04:54:43 AM
After your description, I was expecting much longer nails than the ones shown in the picture. Not ideal, but I've certainly let my nails grow nearly that long & still been able to play.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 05:15:56 AM
have you told her that most commercial nail polish gets tested on animals? How about the bloody hangnail story?  :-[
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert