Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Pianists similar in style to Page McConnell?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline dkim16

• PS Silver Member
Pianists similar in style to Page McConnell?
on: April 21, 2013, 07:38:18 AM
Playing classical piano competitively for over 12 years has helped me appreciate many different genres of music. That being said, I have come to thoroughly enjoy listening to improv piano solos in bands similar in style to the band Phish. I guess one could classify his style as funk for lack of better wording. His style is very reminiscent of the Peanuts theme (Charlie Brown)..
Regardless of my apparent inability to tag his style to a specific genre, if anyone knows of any pianists/keyboardists that you believe may have a similar style, some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For reference in case of confusion because of my somewhat ambiguous interpretation of his style:

(Solo starting at 2:55 to about 4:37 and again at 7:30 to the end)