Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Queen Elisabeth Competition - Piano 2013  (Read 14047 times)

Offline andreslr6

• PS Silver Member
Queen Elisabeth Competition - Piano 2013
on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:17 PM
I almost forgot about it and I didn't found any thread about it around here. This year is the pianists' turn to compete in Brussels and the first round started this week.

Here's the link with the info and names of the candidates https://www.concours-reine-elisabeth.be/cgi?usr=hnwmfgue4w&lg=en&pag=2030&tab=108&rec=3771&frm=0&par=aybabtu&id=5282&flux=14789843 . The only known pianist I recognize is the Ukranian Anna Fedorova. There's a calendar with the dates they'll be playing, and the finalists will be announced this Saturday I think.

Also, you can hear some of the ones that have already played here https://www.rtbf.be/musiq3/podcast

Offline andreslr6

• PS Silver Member
Re: Queen Elisabeth Competition - Piano 2013
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:10:42 PM
Semi-finalists announced: https://www.imkeb.be/cgi?usr=cxqegzvgg4&lg=en&pag=1692&tab=87&rec=41&frm=0&par=secorig1677&id=5359&flux=34977448

Here's the list: https://www.imkeb.be/cgi?usr=cxqegzvgg4&lg=en&pag=1993&tab=108&rec=3771&frm=0&par=aybabtu&id=5297&flux=34952314

I remember Boris Giltburg, he won 2nd or 3rd on the last Rubinstein Piano Competition in Israel.

The 24 semi finalists will be playing next week a Solo recital and a Mozart Piano concerto, I'm not sure if they'll be streaming them though.

Offline andreslr6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:23:37 PM
Live Streaming the semifinal/finalists announcement https://www.imkeb.be/cgi?usr=4smzfu28g2&lg=en&pag=2427&tab=146&rec=12712&frm=0&par=secorig2016&id=5382&flux=65897813

They will announce the finalists at their midnight, I have no idea what time zome it is but they´re in Brussels :P. In the bottom there´s a link to the videos from all the semi finalists.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 08:15:15 PM
I tuned in right after he began the Chopin Ballade.  **MINE**  ;D
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline andreslr6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:34:57 PM
I tuned in right after he began the Chopin Ballade.  **MINE**  ;D

Did you like it?

I wanted to hear the Gaspard, but the Partita was the one that got my attention more when I was hearing it. Anyways, they both did a very very high level performance, liked them both and hope they make it to the finals :).

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:45:18 PM
It was nice and polished  ;D.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:14:16 PM
The only one I care for in the final is Zhang Zou. She is the only one who has some imagination about colors, and she is not a show off like so many of the others.
And she aint too bad for the eyes either ;)

Offline alessandro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:51:20 PM
Hello everybody !

Long time I've posted something.  I might as well have posted this in the "what are you listening to"-thread.  Hope this links works (the Partita starts round about 9:00).  Andrew Tyson.  Bach Partita n° 1.  I'm always fond of some libertine kind of playing.  He reminds, in his affection, of Gould (and in manierism in Bozghanov), but what a beautiful, truly original, new fresh Bach.  "Génial".  Probably a big chance to be the (eternal) second in competitions.  

https://www.cmireb.be/4DCGI/cgi?usr=pewccc68vy&lg=fr&pag=1645&tab=146&id=2981&flux=10951455

Very kind greetings to you all.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:29:26 PM
Really, you liked it? I found it terribly uninspiring.. well, it's all about taste..

Offline alessandro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:00:27 PM
Really, you liked it? I found it terribly uninspiring.. well, it's all about taste..

Indeed, all about taste  :) It is often a point of controversy, this type of you-like-it-or-not interpretations, how far can one go with Bach, or Scarlatti, or with the Romantics, before one rapes the piece, but I like it.  It got my attention from beginning to end, if my antennas raise once in a while in a piece, than I'm a happy man, and this interpretation has given me this joy, this pleasure of feeling here and there a bright ray of light, and long shadows, and maelstroms, and the typical Bach-circles and such beautiful ornamentation and all the freedom that he allows himself in this interpretation, I would almost start with words like 'courage' though I don't think that bravery is a necessary quality in music (at least the music that I like, I'm not a big fan of show-off or bravoura).  No frankly, of course it's about taste, but it's nice to share, and eventually share thoughts about it.   I have this intuition that this Mr. Tyson - even if he will play a most wonderful Rachmaninov second concerto in the final - that he will end not higher than a second place.

Very kind greetings !

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 01:27:40 AM
I first fell in love with Andrew Tyson's playing at the 2010 Chopin International Competition-certain moments in his F minor Fantasy were truly inspirational for me. I'm glad and not surprised to see him in the finals here; I have been busy and haven't followed the QEC this time around but hopefully will catch some of the final round!

Tyson's playing has a spontaneity which some people find distasteful.... but I find overall a lack of spontaneity to be MUCH more distasteful than any momentary lapses in judgement of the sound picture that will inevitably occur from time, particularly in a memorized performance. Better to be fresh and in-the-moment.

Offline thrstn

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:06 AM
Boris Giltburg won, seemed well deserved to my ears (gorgeous Beethoven n. 27 sonata in the final).
The three first laureates all played Rach's 3rd concerto in the final, but of course their interpretations varied quite a bit!
Tyson ended up 6th.
In my view the final rankings held no huge surprises...I was surprised by a few finalists though (they ended up unranked laureates). Very inspiring overall, and all the video content is great!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert