Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: I am completely mystified by "Do" ...  (Read 3564 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
I am completely mystified by "Do" ...
on: June 04, 2013, 02:08:09 AM
What?  What the heck is that thing?  What is "Do"??  How is there such a thing as a pitch center in a scale ... or, whatever "Do" actually is. 

*ponders* immensely.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Re: I am completely mystified by "Do" ...
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:12:58 AM
What?  What the heck is that thing?  What is "Do"??  How is there such a thing as a pitch center in a scale ... or, whatever "Do" actually is. 

*ponders* immensely.

Humour  is really not one of your strong points. If you want to take the piss out of something, take a look at the fake "interview" with yourself. It takes more than sarcasm to generate humour.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 02:17:06 AM
Here is something else that I just got mystified by.  'Do' actually "behaves" differently depending on whether it's a Major or a minor scale, even if 'Do' is the same note!  

*runs back to the piano*

My child ears are coming back a little bit.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline pjaul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:22:27 AM
Here is something else that I just got mystified by.  'Do' actually "behaves" differently depending on whether it's a Major or a minor scale, even if 'Do' is the same note!  

m1469, when you assign syllables to a minor scale, how do you do it?

Option 1: do, re, me, fa, sol, le, ti, do

Option 2: la, ti, do, re, mi, fa, si, do

Or another way?

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 02:38:52 AM

*runs back to the piano*

My child ears are coming back a little bit.

Or have you just been taking drugs? What is "behaves" supposed to mean to anybody here? If this is supposed to be serious, please put it into some form of precise and meaningful language that might mean something to anybody but yourself.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 02:49:37 AM
m1469, when you assign syllables to a minor scale, how do you do it?

Option 1: do, re, me, fa, sol, le, ti, do

Option 2: la, ti, do, re, mi, fa, si, do

Or another way?

My musical-mind doesn't assign them syllables.  I can do that intellectually and I can see the value in either option that you have there, but there is something else that I'm trying to hear, and I'm getting pretty close!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 02:50:37 AM
(Moveable do, right?)  How is Do different?  It's the same the Do for major or minor. It's not going anywhere.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 02:52:41 AM
I'm almost positive that whatever I'm trying to grasp over all is most related to fixed "Do," but yes, I think that intellectually I was talking in relation to moveable "Do" when I started this thread but I'm not positive!  It was this window that opened up or so and I caught this glimpse of a bigger idea, and now I'm trying to understand it.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:57:45 AM
Is it intrinsic and/or melty?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:00:22 AM
What's the difference in sound/color though?

I can see me vs. mi.  Both the third, but different colors of that third.

Is it the chord color affecting that one step's color?

Did you try it out in different keys, voicings, etc.  It's not something like the voicing or instrumentation affecting the sound?

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 03:12:16 AM
Is it intrinsic and/or melty?

It is both.

What's the difference in sound/color though?

I can see me vs. mi.  Both the third, but different colors of that third.

Is it the chord color affecting that one step's color?

Did you try it out in different keys, voicings, etc.  It's not something like the voicing or instrumentation affecting the sound?

Well, I've thought about this stuff, and I don't have answers yet.  But, I'm onto something, and it's *at least* related but I didn't see it coming.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 03:58:28 AM
its sounds as if you're trying to mentally grasp the do-ness of do. The pitch chroma.

what is it that you hear in C/Do that is the same as the Do an octave higher, and is separate from the idea that it is higher.. and in turn, therefore what is it about other pitches that makes them so unique, what is different other than that they are higher or lower than the rest?

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:11:03 AM
Yes.  I've had a big thought for me.  A big, giant, uniting thought which has me sitting in some universe just ... being with it.  But, yes, those are the questions and the thoughts.  There's more, but those are some.  And there are inevitably following more questions.

The leading idea is about frequency and vibration.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:36:43 AM
The body is comprised of different organs, different cavities. All of these have their natural frequencies and will respond to sounds at a certain pitch, or (in differing degrees) overtones or undertones of that pitch. Thus, different "notes" will not only sound different, they will feel different. This will be individual.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 12:07:33 PM
Yes.  I've had a big thought for me.  A big, giant, uniting thought which has me sitting in some universe just ... being with it.  But, yes, those are the questions and the thoughts.  There's more, but those are some.  And there are inevitably following more questions.

The leading idea is about frequency and vibration.

If you can't even be bothered to state WHAT your idea about pitch and vibration is, why are you intent on writing anything at all? sound IS frequency and vibration. Unless there is a specific premise beyond that, your comment is as meaningful as stating that you are currently thinking about sounds.

This whole thing is reminiscent of how a drug addict says he understands the secret of life but then just mutters incomprehensible nonsense. If you cannot actually quantify anything specifically, it doesn't mean anything and is better kept private.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 05:28:22 PM
The body is comprised of different organs, different cavities. All of these have their natural frequencies and will respond to sounds at a certain pitch, or (in differing degrees) overtones or undertones of that pitch. Thus, different "notes" will not only sound different, they will feel different. This will be individual.

Do you think that our thoughts have an actual, measurable frequency?  :)

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 08:20:40 PM
The human brain is very adept at assigning patterns and meanings to things that lack them.

In short, it is very easy to fool one's self, and I think you are doing so this time. 
Tim

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 08:45:21 PM
The human brain is very adept at assigning patterns and meanings to things that lack them.

In short, it is very easy to fool one's self, and I think you are doing so this time.  

How, exactly, would I be fooling myself simply if it is objectively observable that thoughts produce scientifically measurable frequencies?

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:49 PM
How, exactly, would I be fooling myself simply if it is objectively observable that thoughts produce scientifically measurable frequencies?

They produce frequencies, no doubt. the question is what significance that might possibly have. is that supposed to be profound in some way, because music involves frequencies and so does the brain? by way of comparison, masturbation produces a scientifically measurable frequency too. virtually anything and everything does. there's nothing faintly remarkable about such a staggeringly mundane observation, so just lay off smoking pot for a few days. You'd have to be off your face to see anything remarkable in such a trite and irrelevant similarity. it's scarcely more remarkable than the coincidence that any two objects both possess mass.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 11:02:35 PM
*Bob cracks up and decides to stay quiet about saying something about visible colors being different frequencies and being very different.*

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 11:24:01 PM
If string theory is correct (or at least on the right track) then everything has a (theoretically at least) measurable frequency.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 11:54:30 PM
I think I see what I find interesting....

I can see each step having a color.  And then those colors being affected by the chord they're in.  Do sounds like do when it's in a I chord.  But different when it's in a IV chord.  Pretty similar function though.  Ti/7th step sounds one way in a IV7 vs. a viio/.

So how can the 1st step sound different if it's doing the exact same function, I vs. i?  Minor keys are less stable, but... I and i are still doing the same thing, chord-wise, step-wise.  Maybe the surrounding chords could give it a different color? It still seems like a stretch to me.  Or it's a very subtle color difference.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 11:31:35 PM
And...?

What's "Major Do" vs. "minor do" sound like?

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 07:51:59 AM
Man, you guys really need to get back to the pianos.

:)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 11:32:59 PM
Shh.  We're all sitting around listening to individual notes.  Single-pitch listening is where it's at now. 

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 12:08:44 PM
Shh.  We're all sitting around listening to individual notes.  Single-pitch listening is where it's at now. 

Absolutely.

When you can "Name that Tune" in one note, you have a huge advantage on that old game show.
Tim

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 03:01:22 PM
I see a Phd thesis here. It may seem far fetched but my friend go his on the nature of zero.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 05:02:08 PM
I see a Phd thesis here. It may seem far fetched but my friend go his on the nature of zero.

Hey, name that tune in zero notes.

Many years ago I was on a weight training forum and somebody had put together a program for zero reps.  He was taking a gym class as part of a physiology major (memory fades, something like that) and they all had to design and test their own program for reps, sets, etc.  Should they use high reps and light weight, low reps and heavy, somewhere in between?  He used a weight just heavy enough he couldn't do any reps, and made the most progress in the class over semester. 
Tim

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 10:44:01 PM
I don't remember.  Did m1469 say Do is different Major vs. minor when Do is alone or when Do still has a chord under it?

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 04:38:36 PM
Thanks for updating me, Bob, on what is in now!
I've been at the piano so long - I never would have known.

Now I know what to play :)

Timothy - I think name that tune is "Can you play far far away?"

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 12:09:46 PM

Timothy - I think name that tune is "Can you play far far away?"

That tune is very difficult. 

We wish it were impossible.
Tim

Offline cudo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 02:00:12 PM

"Do" originally named "Ut" was the first syllable of the "Hymnus in Ioannem".
Here the first stanza, where the first syllable of each line was taken to name our notes:

Ut queant laxis

resonare fibris,

Mira gestorum

famuli tuorum,

Solve polluti

labii reatum,

At that time there where only six notes in the scale.

Offline mussels_with_nutella

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:56 PM
Oh, no! A wild do appears!  8)

Do is a verb, and mean action. Every English man knows it...
oh, no! I am not English! Contradiction!!! A wild mussel with nutella was fainted!
  :-\
Learning:
Liszt's 3rd Liebestraum

When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something
Shostakovic

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 11:24:37 PM

Mistified doe.  8)

Offline mussels_with_nutella

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 12:37:12 AM
Mistified doe.  8)
xDDDDDDDDD jajajajaja
Learning:
Liszt's 3rd Liebestraum

When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something
Shostakovic
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert