Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Repertoire for an advanced 8 year old  (Read 2497 times)

Offline chiffonmyst

• PS Silver Member
Repertoire for an advanced 8 year old
on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:38 PM
Hi all! This is my first post!

I have an advanced 8 year old who is a good reader and hard worker. She is currently burning through the ragtime pieces in Alfred book 3. She demonstrates a very precise sense of time and can even swing the notes when asked.

She has done several other pieces outside of the book. One that she is particularly fond of is Bach's Minuet in G. However, all of her supplemental and recital pieces have been classical.

I'm curious if anyone out there might have some repertoire suggestions for an 8 year old who can't quite reach an octave yet, who likes something more modern, and pieces with rhythm.

Offline ben_crosland

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repertoire for an advanced 8 year old
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:23 PM
*cough* Well, it just so happens I've just had a couple of new books published, and the second volume could be just the ticket!

It's called Cool Beans! "Jazz, Blues and Latin Grooves"

https://www.musica-ferrum.com/catalog/viewitem.php?show=52

There are some preview pages, and a video with 4 pieces including full score at the above link :)
Teacher: Piano and Keyboard since 1987

Composer: "Get, Set, Jazz!" published by Spartan Press, and "Cool Beans!" published by Editions Musica Ferrum.

Offline asiantraveller101

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repertoire for an advanced 8 year old
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:57:38 PM
I won't call an 8-year old playing Alfred 3 as "advanced."
Anyway, you can check into Martha Mier: Rags, Jazz, Blues series and Margaret Goldston: Virtuosic Performer series. Both series are loosely graded and have interesting pieces that would do well as supplements. 

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert