Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Who knows of a really good book that teaches Primary Chords?  (Read 7463 times)

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
It is such a basic and important concept to get across to beginners -
I just did an inventory of my music books - about 4000.00 of books
and I did not run across one book that I could actually say - this one
would be great for teaching primary chords.

Sure - they teach it in C and G - for beginners -  - others seems to intersperse them randomly.

Does anyone know of a book that teaches it simply - with pictures?
I find teaching it is not enough for beginners to remember.
Sure, I can write them down - but they would prefer to look at a book that
they can check things off.
thanks,

Offline lilla

• PS Silver Member
Faber Piano Adventures Level 2B. Use all the coordinated books.  But you must also teach the scale degrees, the use of both roman numerals and chord name symbols.  You must demonstrate how to transpose the patterns and progressions to different keys.  You will then have a good basic course on using primary chords, and ready to step it up to either jazz, or more serious classical analysis, or pop - or all of those.

Offline mgladde

• PS Silver Member
One of the best books for teaching primary chords is Scales, Chords, and Arpeggios, by James Bastien.  In this book you will find I-IV-I-V-I chord progressions in all keys and all inversions!

I use it with my students...

https://www.methodbooks.com/store/scales/wp249.htm

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?  You're right, the methods are kind of hit and miss...

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Re: Who knows of a really good book that teaches Primary Chords?
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:59:02 PM
Thanks MGladde,
I'll have to check that out!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert