Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How the heck do you print airplane tickets?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
How the heck do you print airplane tickets?
on: July 21, 2013, 02:23:48 AM
I'm going to Rhode Island next Wednesday, and I don't know how to get seats or print out my airplane ticket.

What the heck do I do?!

Oh, and this is Southwest airlines.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: How the heck do you print airplane tickets?
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 02:41:32 AM
Follow the instructions, and use a printer. Preferably a laser.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:52:37 PM
Hmm... Southwest's web site usually works pretty well; I've not had much trouble with it, anyway.  Not having a flight scheduled in the future, I can't run through all of it, but there should be a "get boarding pass" option after you check in -- but you can't get your boarding pass until you check in, and you can't check in until 24 hours before your flight (unless you bought their handy dandy automatic check in gizmo, in which case they do it for you).  Once you have checked in, then you have the option to print your boarding pass, which will include your boarding sequence (a letter -- A, B, C, and a number).  The sooner you check in, the closer that number will be to the top, which you really want to have, since Southwest is a cattle call boarding/seating process -- no assigned seats.

That help? 
Ian

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 04:17:19 PM
I saw this and thought maybe you were leaving our country, since you hate it so !

Anyway, look in your confirmation email, there may be a link to "print your boarding pass", assuming a flag hasn't come up at the time of purchase saying that. It's been about 3 years since I've flown Southwest though, so things may have changed ( we went the other way, flew out of RI headed out west to spread my Father-In-Law's ashes over Mt Rose in NV. Then back again about 4 days later)..

Speaking of which, what a shocker. After flying in and out of airports on 737's, feeling that acceleration down the runways and roaring up to 37,000 ft to cruising altitude. Then get in a little Cessna 172 with three people on board and a box of ashes, taking off out of Carson City airport already at 5,000 ft. to climb to 9,000 ft. and having the pilot tell you "well I know we will make it over the mountain cause I see the lake on the other side" ! That silly engine putting away out there sounding like a weak little 1960's Volkswagen bug and the plane barely moving, it felt like it was going to choke out and fall out of the sky ! I didn't even know a Cessna could fly to 9,000 ft. Got some cool cell phone shots up there though.

You know how you spread ashes over a mountain when flying at 9,000 ft? You open the door and shove a long necked funnel outside and start pouring in the ashes, the wind velocity at the end of the funnel sucks them right out. Kind of cool, leaves a haze behind the plane. Cost to rent the plane and pilot, $700 for two people to fly up there ( came out of the estate, if I was paying we would have driven up the mountain road by car for about $5 in gas, dumped the ashes on his favorite ski slope and gone home $695 to the better).
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:30:55 PM
I'm going to Rhode Island next Wednesday, and I don't know how to get seats or print out my airplane ticket.

What the heck do I do?!

Oh, and this is Southwest airlines.

Are you over 18? Since you haven't done it before better check some basics. You're entering into a contract for transportation and nobody can enter into any contract if the party is not 18. 
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:29:04 AM
Are you over 18? Since you haven't done it before better check some basics. You're entering into a contract for transportation and nobody can enter into any contract if the party is not 18. 

If you check your law books, you'll find a ticket isn't actually a contract for transportation (rather surprisingly).

Also, I believe you mean "at least 18". That age, and other qualifying factors, vary by jurisdiction.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 01:25:13 AM
Hmm... Southwest's web site usually works pretty well; I've not had much trouble with it, anyway.  Not having a flight scheduled in the future, I can't run through all of it, but there should be a "get boarding pass" option after you check in -- but you can't get your boarding pass until you check in, and you can't check in until 24 hours before your flight (unless you bought their handy dandy automatic check in gizmo, in which case they do it for you).  Once you have checked in, then you have the option to print your boarding pass, which will include your boarding sequence (a letter -- A, B, C, and a number).  The sooner you check in, the closer that number will be to the top, which you really want to have, since Southwest is a cattle call boarding/seating process -- no assigned seats.

That help? 

Ooooh so there was a check in thing!  Thanks bro.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:47:19 PM
If you check your law books, you'll find a ticket isn't actually a contract for transportation (rather surprisingly).

Also, I believe you mean "at least 18". That age, and other qualifying factors, vary by jurisdiction.

Better read the back of your ticket.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:50:50 PM
They said I could bring one bag and one small personal item...

Come on!!!

So I got a bag, and a book bag, and then I wanna bring my skateboard.  I mean, the book bag and the skateboard are really just one item...  I mean...  Damn it!!!

How much does it cost to check a bag?

Never mind it's free whohoo!!!

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:35 PM
Hey fellow travelers don't you just love these people who want to bend the rules? We could start unlimited carry-on but no checked bags. You carry in all to the plane and YOU put it in the hold. That could also be carry on, like a bus...

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:38:54 PM
Hey fellow travelers don't you just love these people who want to bend the rules? We could start unlimited carry-on but no checked bags. You carry in all to the plane and YOU put it in the hold. That could also be carry on, like a bus...

Well I thought I would have to pay.

Cause if I had to pay, then I wouldn't bring my board.

And I can't stand not skating for a week when it's nice outside!

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:43:31 PM

Well my friend you pay either way. I had prepaid 6000 mile tickets and over the process of the journey I had to kick in another $200 each just get seated properly. BTW luggage carts at JFK are $5 and a local taxi to an airport hotel is $20!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 06:47:49 PM
Well my friend you pay either way. I had prepaid 6000 mile tickets and over the process of the journey I had to kick in another $200 each just get seated properly. BTW luggage carts at JFK are $5 and a local taxi to an airport hotel is $20!

Well they were like, 'yo, the first two checked bags are free homie', and I'm like, 'awesome rad!'

Problem solved right???????????

I already got my seats so that's fine too.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 09:51:43 PM

I was riding my bike today and somehow you popped into my head, with the thought of that skateboard. Knowing all the broken bones my stepson received, not to mention cost we all endured to include our insurance company by riding those foolish things, my thought was that for a pianist this could be disastrous. Again, I thought of you and I thought , well for a few days on this trip to RI you won't crash on that contraption.

Seriously, he broke several bones, the worst being one leg. He's 42 now and that leg is still crooked and bothers him in the winter. What if he played piano and that was his forearm or wrist and instead of his foot sticking out to the side slightly ( hey they did the best they could with it) what if it was his hand twisted out ? He would have to play with his elbow out.

Think about it if you are serious about piano. That's all, just think, no more mention of this from me.
David
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 10:22:28 PM
I was riding my bike today and somehow you popped into my head, with the thought of that skateboard. Knowing all the broken bones my stepson received, not to mention cost we all endured to include our insurance company by riding those foolish things, my thought was that for a pianist this could be disastrous. Again, I thought of you and I thought , well for a few days on this trip to RI you won't crash on that contraption.

Seriously, he broke several bones, the worst being one leg. He's 42 now and that leg is still crooked and bothers him in the winter. What if he played piano and that was his forearm or wrist and instead of his foot sticking out to the side slightly ( hey they did the best they could with it) what if it was his hand twisted out ? He would have to play with his elbow out.

Think about it if you are serious about piano. That's all, just think, no more mention of this from me.
David

I know what I'm doing...

Dude skateboarding isn't even that dangerous.  We get a lot if minor injuries, but a broken bone is very rare.

Now obviously (not obvioualy) your stepson didn't know what he was doing, or he was one of those hardcore skaters who throw themselves down giant stair sets and handrails.  Which in that case, you still don't REALLY know what you're doing lol.  Or you get one of the RARE 'I did everything right but I broke my arm' cases.  Cause no matter how good your technique is, you can't safely grind a 12+ stair handrail.  And even if you don't know what you're doing, if you know how to fall properly you're fine.

I never even came close to damaging my hands from skating.  It never even crossed my mind.  The worst injury I ever had was a rolled ankle.  If you know how to fall properly you're fine.  

From the outside it may SEEM dangerous, but it's really not that dangerous.  Really...  It's not that bad.  

What about riding bikes?  They're pretty dangerous!  I mean, on a bike you have two wheels, and on a skateboard you have 4.  Do you ride in the street?  Getting hit by a car and breaking a bone is BY FAR more likely than falling and breaking a bone on a skateboard.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 02:21:55 AM
All I need to do is bring my printed boarding pass right?

Offline starlady

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 04:12:59 AM
All I need to do is bring my printed boarding pass right?

You do know you need a government-issued photo ID, right? 'Government-issued' meaning that your school ID does NOT count. 

I bring a copy of the e-ticket also.  It's only 1 page to carry, and better safe than sorry.

Look, this is the TSA you're dealing with.  They are trying to make your life hell.   Don't give them an openings. 

--s., who is so old she remembers when flying used to be sort of fun. 

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 09:11:52 AM
I know what I'm doing...

I never even came close to damaging my hands from skating.  It never even crossed my mind.  The worst injury I ever had was a rolled ankle.  If you know how to fall properly you're fine.  

From the outside it may SEEM dangerous, but it's really not that dangerous.  Really...  It's not that bad.  

What about riding bikes?  They're pretty dangerous!  I mean, on a bike you have two wheels, and on a skateboard you have 4.  Do you ride in the street?  Getting hit by a car and breaking a bone is BY FAR more likely than falling and breaking a bone on a skateboard.

Just think twice is all I was meaning, as you mature you may understand.

In cycling there are rules to the road, literally, that are not so different from rules to the road for automobiles. However I mostly ride on designated bike ways/ walk ways ( basically paved leisure and commuter routes). Most some what progressive towns and cities these days are putting in commuter lanes on roads as well, thanks in part to the organization that I happen to be a member of known as the Rails To Trails Conservancy and just plain old public desire as well. In fact in our town they just widened the road in front of where I work and put in a bike lane on each side.  I got my first bike at the age of 7, I'm 63 now. I remember falling twice in my childhood. Back then I rode the country roads to go fishing and the city streets of Worcester Ma. to get to my paper route or go down down for various reasons. One time I fell because I was riding one handed on the bars, going down a steep hill and hit a bump. I had a model car I had built that was in a box in my other hand. I landed on top of the bike and never broke the model or myself but bend a pedal. The other time I was all new to riding on my first bike and lost control and went off the road and fell in a ditch unscathed.. Both times were stupid kid things, one while learning to ride.

Yesterday I nearly veered off the pavement on the bike way as I passed a lady who crossed lanes without looking first to get her bottle of water she dropped ( a walker walking with her hubby or BF). I was going 14 MPH and hit just the rear brake slowing to 9 MPH and all was well, I got close to the edge of the pavement but didn't leave the pavement. The most dangerous thing to bikers on the paved trails is people with dogs and those leashes that allows the dog a lengthy run. There is a rule to call out or otherwise warn people that you are about to pass them. If followed, people are good about keeping a tight leash as you pass. I had an incident 3 years ago where a dog was not leashed at all and just had to stop the bike that time and let the dog sniff me till the owners got it away from me. There is a leash law as well, they were breaking that law.

All in all, there is no way you can compare normal cycling activity with skate boarding. You could compare perhaps freestyle riding with skateboarding but not normal commuting or riding for exercise. Can an accident still happen ? Of course but the high risk factor is not there with average bike riding.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 02:38:30 PM

All in all, there is no way you can compare normal cycling activity with skate boarding. You could compare perhaps freestyle riding with skateboarding but not normal commuting or riding for exercise. Can an accident still happen ? Of course but the high risk factor is not there with average bike riding.

Cycles are dangerous things though! Yesterday I was WALKING my bike while talking on the phone and I tripped over something, the bike fell on my leg and I hit the ground on my hand...just scars and a bit bruising, but anyway :(

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 03:09:32 PM
Cycles are dangerous things though! Yesterday I was WALKING my bike while talking on the phone and I tripped over something, the bike fell on my leg and I hit the ground on my hand...just scars and a bit bruising, but anyway :(

Ouch!

Where I live we share the road with everything. I have even seen seniors on skate boards at the beach.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 09:45:11 PM

Hmm, not good ! Glad you weren't injured badly.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 04:46:24 AM
Hmm, not good ! Glad you weren't injured badly.

I never do, I just tend to stumble a lot :)
I've never had an accident while riding a bike though....knock on wood...

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:41 AM
I never do, I just tend to stumble a lot :)
I've never had an accident while riding a bike though....knock on wood...

I'm knocking on my head for you but just in case that isn't really made of wood after all, I also knocked on my computer desk !

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 09:49:07 AM
I'm knocking on my head for you but just in case that isn't really made of wood after all, I also knocked on my computer desk !

Thanks!  :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 02:00:52 AM

Yeah you're fine.   ;D

As long as you're still Valentina Lisitsa's manager...

You know.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 02:07:28 AM
Ouch!

Where I live we share the road with everything. I have even seen seniors on skate boards at the beach.

Seniors skating?

You mean longboarding?

Old people skating are pretty RARE.  One time I saw a 74 year old skating a pool.  It was pretty cool watching him.

No but yeah, I don't have a problem with longboarding, but most longboarders don't even know what they're doing!!!  NOOOOOOOO!!!  And from where I live, all the longboarders are just a bunch of jocks who don't even know how to ride one.  And all the girls use it as a fashion accessory.  Piss me off...

I mean, if you can bomb a hill at 40mph, then you're awesome.  But if you push mongo, or if I can beat you in a race on a skateboard (longboards are WAY faster than skateboards), then you're outta here...

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:29 AM
Just think twice is all I was meaning, as you mature you may understand.

Of course.

I take caution not to do anything stupid.  If I don't feel right about something, I don't do the trick.  I'll set up to try it again maybe a couple times, but if I still don't feel right, I just don't do it.  I don't skate in the rain, or if the ground or, or rail, or ledge, or whatever is super slippery.  I stay within my boundaries.  I mean sure, I'll try new stuff, but nothing ridiculous.

And I always avoid snakes, and being one  (getting in people's way).  Nobody likes a snake.

I'm crazy, but I'm not stupid!

No, ending the world isn't crazy...  It's ambitious!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 03:27:25 AM
No, ending the world isn't crazy...  It's ambitious!

I doubt the psychiatric profession concurs.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 04:06:37 AM
Yeah you're fine.   ;D

As long as you're still Valentina Lisitsa's manager...

You know.

Yeah, hands can be easily replaced...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert