Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: "Play Me, I'm Yours" Project  (Read 1805 times)

Offline h_chopin148

• PS Silver Member
"Play Me, I'm Yours" Project
on: July 31, 2013, 05:04:00 PM
Has anyone heard of this? The "Play me, I'm yours" project brings pianos to cities all over the world and puts a bunch of pianos in random spots on the streets.  So they're coming to Boston soon (Sept. 27- Aug. 9 or something like that) and I'm so excited cuz there's nothing like walking around and then running into a random piano in the middle of nowhere and being able to play it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Debussy Pour le Piano
Chopin Etude 10/5, 10/9
Beethoven Sonata 2/2, 10/3
Bach P&F no. 7 WTC 1
Ligeti Musica Ricercata 10

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Play Me, I'm Yours" Project
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 02:00:49 AM
Bringing music to the public in unexpected places and to encourage the public to use an instrument which is meant to be played by anyone, it is a fabulous idea. Most pianos you see in public have a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign on it, to have one inviting people to play flips the norm on its head. I have had wonderful conversations with people after playing one of these pianos and have met some talented pianists who are just going about their day.

They even have these piano's here in West Australia, I have seen several through Perth and Fremantle. It is really cool to see people sit at the piano and play, it is mostly children who obviously take piano lessons. I've sat down put a hat on the floor as a joke and got some gold coins woot! :)

The pianos are in horrible tuning condition so usually ragtime, honky tonk, swing style etc works well, it makes classical music sound very funny though :)
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:23:55 PM
Sergio Tiempo played on one of those 'I'm Yours' pianos.

He freaking ripped it apart lol.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline h_chopin148

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 11:32:16 PM
I saw in Copley Square the other day, they were advertising for this and they were letting people draw on pianos  :o >:( :'( :-\ >:( >:(
Debussy Pour le Piano
Chopin Etude 10/5, 10/9
Beethoven Sonata 2/2, 10/3
Bach P&F no. 7 WTC 1
Ligeti Musica Ricercata 10

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 11:40:10 PM
...It is really cool to see people sit on the piano and play, it is mostly children who obviously take piano lessons. I've sat down put a hat on the floor as a joke and got some gold coins woot! :)

Busking is a blast, provided the authorities don't get on your case.  Years ago I used to do it from time to time in Boston subway stations, singing mostly my own stuff but covering other people too.  Usually made enough to cover the day's meals, anyway (not that they were anything fancy!)
Ian

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 01:27:58 AM
Busking is a blast, provided the authorities don't get on your case.  Years ago I used to do it from time to time in Boston subway stations, singing mostly my own stuff but covering other people too.  Usually made enough to cover the day's meals, anyway (not that they were anything fancy!)
I think busking is awesome, it can liven up an otherwise "dead" place. You have to pay for a license here to busk which isn't much at all. When I played one of these "Play me im yours" pianos a number of people gathered and my friend said throw your hat on the ground as a joke so I did lol. You can earn good money busking if you have a good area one of my young students made close to $150 in an hour, pretty good pocket money for a primary school student!
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline momopi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 06:30:00 PM
Your student earned more than Joshua Bell playing incognito in public.  ;D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Then again, money was immaterial to this project. It is sad that people was so preoccupied they cannot take in the beauty that is around them.

Offline kalirren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 08:28:25 PM
About a year and a season ago, I played the 1st movt. of the Waldstein in Paris on one of these pianos, and drew a crowd of 30!
Beethoven: An die Ferne Geliebte
Franck: Sonata in A Major
Vieuxtemps: Sonata in Bb Major for Viola
Prokofiev: Sonata for Flute in D Major
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert