Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Playing with both hands with diff speed problem  (Read 1662 times)

Offline mcr555

• PS Silver Member
Playing with both hands with diff speed problem
on: August 29, 2013, 08:36:45 AM
Hi. I have been playing piano for a few years. I can play pieces like Fur Elise and American Patrol.
My problem is I can't play very well a piece I want. That piece has a lot of 16th notes on the right hand and a lot of 8th note at the left hand. I find it hard to have different speed for my left and right hand.
I tried the suggestion of others
1. play with the hands separately until I am good at it
2. play with the hands together but slowly at first then gradually speeding up until I get used to it

any other suggestions? the tip given to me seems not to be good enough

I am starting to think that I need 1 more brain so that when I try to speed up my right hand, my left hand will stay at the same speed

Offline musicman99

• PS Silver Member
Re: Playing with both hands with diff speed problem
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 06:29:49 PM
Hi

You won't need one more brain, you'll need to split the one you have into two!
Know each hand so well that you don't think about the notes whilst playing both hands. Then you'll be able to work on just getting them together.
Try using a metronome, but don't over-use it.

Carlos R.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert