Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Your Pet Peeves  (Read 4345 times)

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Your Pet Peeves
on: September 01, 2013, 12:18:23 AM
A pet peeve is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to them, to a greater degree than others may find it.

So it can be about anything, vent your frustration and rant about them here. *cough* I guess I will start, one of them is pretty simple. America.

And I am not talking about America but America.

You see, my country is one of those 3rd world countries as they call it in which people from other countries come for vacations and sightseeing (it has nothing to do with legal prostitution I swear)

Last uear before I graduated from High school some people from U.S came to spend some time and bla bla bla, I was assigned to show the ropes to one of them...and oh god what a condescending git everything I told him was reviced with a sneer and a explanation of why it was better in U.S.

Mind you I am not chovinist but I got irked after awhile, so there I was showing him X and of course he tolds mes why it is better in America. Then I say "U.S"  And he looks me with this bewildered look and ask what I mean, so I explain him why America is a continent not a country.

Well he didn't take well to it, as matter of fact he was either a master troll or just stupid because he insisted that I was wrong.

I said  My teacher heard me and I was mercifully (and forcebly) removed from the premises for the day.... since that day it irks me to no end to her people refer to America as country only.

Here is  website to even further enlighten those who may (I hope not) think me wrong.

https://www.usaisnotamerica.com/index.php

Fanfiction

Pet Peeve #1: "Original" characters. (AKA Mary Sues/Gary Stus) . If you feel the need to go out of your way to say that your so-called "original" character is not a Mary Sue - especially when they're super-competent, your main POV-narrative character, and everyone loves them - they are.

Pet Peeve #2: When the first 20 chapters of an 80+ chapter epic are nothing but filler. DO *SOMETHING*!!

"But Senan," you will say. "What about character development? These characters willbe all bland and watery!" Well, first of all don't raise your voice at me. Second, I've got that covered. Use your chapters well...

Pet Peeve #3: When the author apologizes for writing a crappy summary in the summary. After all, if someone goes to the trouble of writing a story, then they can spend five minutes to come up with a decent summary.

And lastly people who insist Cthulhu isn't real or that Moses wasn't the last waterbender.

"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Your Pet Peeves
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 01:16:22 AM
I don't so much have "pet" peeves as a zoo.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:55:04 AM
People who imply what they want rather than flat out state it.  "It sure would be nice if...."   Bob's reply, "Yep.  It would.  Someone should do that."

Being accused of not doing my job for things that aren't my job, for things outside my control.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:14:44 AM
Slow people...people who talk slowly, walk slowly, react slowly...I know it shouldn't but it just keeps annoying me...

Offline the_fervid_pig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 10:26:56 AM
Slow people...people who talk slowly, walk slowly, react slowly...I know it shouldn't but it just keeps annoying me...

Yes! You're right! It's infuriating. Especially when they're in front of you at the supermarket. I was behind this guy once who had to get his readers out to read his PIN that he'd written his diary, which also took a small ice age to find, before he could pay for his shopping. Felt like I was climbing the walls. And it always happens when you've got an appointment somewhere or your parking's about to run out.
Currently learning:
Mendelssohn 19/6           Chopin 28/4
Satie Je Te Veux            Rach C#m
Poulenc Bal Fantome       Chopin 28/20
Schubert Serenade         Chopin 15/3
Chopin 10/9

Offline h_chopin148

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:10:03 PM
When you're trying to get to your next class quickly and then there are people who just stand in the middle of the hallway in giant mobs AND TALK AND DON'T MOVE and usually smell like a cloud of axe.  >:( >:(

And when people judge something before they've done it. Like if someone judges a book(like Harry Potter) before they've even read it.
Debussy Pour le Piano
Chopin Etude 10/5, 10/9
Beethoven Sonata 2/2, 10/3
Bach P&F no. 7 WTC 1
Ligeti Musica Ricercata 10

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:29:28 PM
People who repeat the whole sentence if they lose their train of thought.  That would be starting the sentence, slowing down while thinking, losing track of thought and drifting off, and then starting the whole sentence again.  I know someone who does this. It gets really annoying when it's the third time they repeat the sentence.

People with body odor. 

Offline jknott

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:38:49 PM
people being rude on internet forums.  I notice quite a lot of it on here.  Seems younger people expect that kind of thing on the internet, but i'm old enough for it to shock me!

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 05:54:54 PM
getting three tickets on my first week of college for skating...
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline jknott

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 05:56:15 PM
what's a ticket?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 06:13:19 PM
Maternity leave is one thing that makes me wild with anger.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 08:37:34 PM
Maternity leave is one thing that makes me wild with anger.
Why's that, then? Is it the maternity or the leave or both that gets you upset?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 08:45:58 PM
Maternity leave in this Country is too generous. It should be a week at the most.

Eventually, women will have so many bloody rights, that any woman of child bearing age will become unemployable in the Private sector.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 08:49:49 PM
They just find another reason to hire or get rid of someone.  There are the real reasons and then there are the official reasons.  But an organization will also get an assortment of every variation of person so they're covered and politically correct.  If they didn't want to mess with maternity costs, they'd have one younger woman and the rest would be older (or various backgrounds).

Are the one getting extra work dumped on you Thal?

Offline schubert_21

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:47:12 PM
Loud, bad music being played in every single public place in the US.
Get off the Internet!  Go practice!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 05:35:21 AM
Maternity leave in this Country is too generous. It should be a week at the most.

Would you rather have them breastfeeding at your workplace?  :o

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:15:18 AM
Would you rather have them breastfeeding at your workplace?  :o

Methinks Thal would prefer that they managed the entire birth in their allotted lunch hour and then engaged a Nanny/Wert Nurse so as to be back on the job at their normal time.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 08:39:40 PM
Methinks Thal would prefer that they managed the entire birth in their allotted lunch hour and then engaged a Nanny/Wert Nurse so as to be back on the job at their normal time.

I would prefer it if women laid eggs, then they would not need so much time off work.

I have often had to do the work of women on maternity leave. It is made worse when they waste even more time by bringing the bloody thing into work, thus stopping all of the women from doing anything.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 11:36:33 PM
I understand Thal's point all to well, I have a small buisness and my one clerk is always a woman because imo, they're better for selling candies (is a candy store). And I swear to God no one has go beyond 1 year without having the sudden wild urgue to mate and reproduce even though they don't have the resources to give the child in question a good childhood.

Then you have to pay them extra+maternity leave, you can't of course dismiss them and so on.

I am also not fond of people who move their hands too much when talking.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41:04 PM
Also when I go to Subway there is always one dude that gets way too pumped making the sandwich even when there are no other patrons...he ends leaving the sandwich all dismantled when you take it out or try to it.

Learn to build a damn sandwich without all the ingredients spilling damnit!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 12:10:41 AM
I would prefer it if women laid eggs, then they would not need so much time off work.

I have often had to do the work of women on maternity leave. It is made worse when they waste even more time by bringing the bloody thing into work, thus stopping all of the women from doing anything.

Thal

Could be an opportunity.  Make a few mistakes with the extra work.  Appear stressed out.  Then tell the boss that they need to decide if they want quality but slower speed overall or to get through more with a few mistakes.  And shouldn't you be getting paid a little more if you're doing more than your job too...  After all it's two positions... You do your job and now you *have* to cover for the other person.  They're job wasn't worthless either.  So if you're doing more than your job, you should be getting paid for more than one job.     It could come out in your favor, unless you're the business owner.       Or, same idea, drop something that you were doing.  Keep your workload the same. 

Do they offer men the same deal over there?  In the U.S. I think either one can take time off.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 12:11:28 AM
And there's some peace of mind knowing that they know who's actually doing the work.  If numbers get slimmed down, you know you won't be the first to go.  You're probably the most productive.

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:36 PM
..when you mention to someone that you play the piano, and the first thing they have to ask you is, "How long have you been playing?"
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert