Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Medieval pieces transcribed for piano solo...  (Read 18272 times)

Offline musikalischer_wirbelwind_280

• PS Silver Member
Medieval pieces transcribed for piano solo...
on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:30 PM
Well, I think the subject is pretty explicit this time...so...anyone knows of such a thing?

Cheers,
M.W.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Medieval pieces transcribed for piano solo...
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:20:05 PM
Yes! This is one of my favourite pieces to play!

It makes me feel like a medieval king!! I transcribed it by ear it wasn't that hard.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:18:14 PM
Thanks for the vid! However, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could share some scores, or let me know where they might be available at a reasonable cost, because I'm not really good at transcribing by ear, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
M.W.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:11:04 PM
Thx!...Oh, and, it's Mr. Lazy Bones for you  ;)

Needless to say (is it, really?), if you or anyone else happen to know of any others, it'll be much appreciated if you share  :)

Cheers,
M.W.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:32:21 PM
Just cruise through this:

https://imslp.org/wiki/My_Ladye_Nevells_Booke_of_Virginal_Music_(Byrd,_William)

It's 1591, so gunpowder had already made its presence on the battlefield. There isn't much in the way of keyboard music available from the early middle age.... Mostly what we have is from the 15th and 16th centuries. Perhaps someone who is more of an expert in early music (I'm just an accomplished dabbler myself) can chime in here.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:09:12 PM
Cheers for that link, already made the most of it  ;) I've also got the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book. Indeed, there's a lot more Renaissance music for keyboard than medieval it seems; still, an expert in early music chiming in here and lending a hand would certainly be more than welcome.

M.W.

Offline khantallis123

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 05:35:17 PM
This is a good website:
earlymusick.weebly.com
You can transpose lute music into keyboard format, or keep it that way (one of Liszt's etudes has that, not saying I can play it though!) Lute music can be found in many places!

Offline khantallis123

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 06:14:07 PM
Well, it's not piano solo, but it the piano/keyboard part played by itself sounds great!
https://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Rodrigo_Martinez_(Anonymous)

Offline khantallis123

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 06:40:46 PM
In the Fitzwilliam Virginal Books, there are some arrangements of late Medieval songs, such as Wolseys Wilde, The Hunt's Up, and La Volta. Thonoit Arbeau transcribed many dances from the late medieval and early and midde renaissance pieces. Also, see the book Medieval Celebrations.It has melodies, but also a few pieces arranged for piano. Also, harp transcriptions of medieval tunes can be played on a piano!

Offline khantallis123

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 06:41:55 PM
Pieces like Greensleeves have many piano transcriptions, ranging from obvious to obvious.

Offline khantallis123

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 06:46:28 PM
Respighi also arranged many medieval, renaissance, and baroque pieces, calling them "ANCIENT". :o They are in the romantic style.Gabriel-Marie's Golden Wedding is claimed to be based on an "ancient air (air ancienne)".

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 06:58:31 PM
Respighi also arranged many medieval, renaissance, and baroque pieces, calling them "ANCIENT". :o They are in the romantic style.Gabriel-Marie's Golden Wedding is claimed to be based on an "ancient air (air ancienne)".

I did not know that! The wonderful thing about being a musician is the fact that you learn something new every day!

Lately I've been working very hard on Respighi's Four-Hands version of The Pines of Rome!

Offline khantallis123

Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 07:00:29 PM
Wow! That is a beautiful piece. I have been commenting a lot since I registered.
https://www.scoreexchange.com/scores/53241.html
A late-romantic/contemporary styled transcription of Veni Veni Emmanuel

Offline khantallis123

Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 10:56:56 PM
earlymusick.weebly.com has been updated!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 04:51:02 AM
Cheers for that khantallis123! ;) I didn't know about that site! And sorry for the lateness of this little message.

M.W.

Offline khantallis123

Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 11:04:52 PM
Now, earlymusick.weebly.com is earlymusician.weebly.com.  :P

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 05:34:30 AM
And so it is  ;) Ah, what a pleasant surprise it was to see that update about the English and Celtic music first volume!  :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 05:35:54 AM
And even an arr. of 'Scarborough Fair' (which I'd been looking for for some time already) is there, too! 8) Quite the find for me, that site, khantallis!  ;)

Offline worov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 05:20:58 PM
Does anyone know a recording of the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book ? I would be very interested to hear this.

Offline khantallis123

Medieval Music for Easy Piano!
Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 01:38:03 AM
I don't know any on CD, but there are great ones online! Have you searched on amazon? My favorite is "Byrd's" LaVolta(actually an Italian dance, also known as Saltarello by Galileo's father).
But for those who have limited abilities (such as me [Richard Morris is the talented one]), there is now a book of medieval music transcribed for the beginner-eelementary level!

Offline rahbbie

Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 04:13:27 PM
There's a Hildegard van Bingen chant at the end of this article. I https://historydollop.wordpress.com/2016/10/13/gregorian-chant-a-beginners-guide/

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 05:36:05 PM
Thanks so much for that, rahbbie, nice find, indeed! And the recordings included in the article are also much appreciated. ;) Unfortunately, the earlymusicianweebly site has been down for some time now, so this von Bingen chant is quite a sight for sore eyes...or is it 'ears'?

It's also nice to meet someone else who appreciates Gregorian chants! Have you perhaps heard Karl Jenkins' one from his "The armed man"? This is one of my favorite recordings of it:

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert