Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: the maybe most interesting piece  (Read 2885 times)

Offline 10Fingers

• PS Silver Member
the maybe most interesting piece
on: February 25, 2003, 12:33:53 AM
Hello everyone,

I heard the argerich recording of liszt's b-minor sonata a coupla of day before and I was amazed about the way she played it. this pieces is one of my favourits, as - apart from its very high technical and musical niveau - it is very interesting and passionful.

But I doubt that any hobby-pianists (such as I am) are able to play that piece, or maybe I'm wrong?
how do you think about that? has anyone of you already played this piece?

sorry for my bad english!

Thi

Offline davy10tunes

• PS Silver Member
Re: the maybe most interesting piece
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 12:05:10 PM
10 fingers,
                 I haven't played this piece ( and can't) but I think it is possible for a hoby pianist to play the most difficult repertoire.Have you heard of the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs?It's a competition for pianists who make their living from a job which has nothing to do with performing or teaching piano.One of the finalists, Charles Chien who is a flight attendant, played the liszt sonata and I think he said he only usually gets 2 hours practice a day!Also other competitors played difficult pieces like Gaspard de la nuit, so it is possible.

David
DAVROS

Offline 10Fingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 12:35:14 PM
Hello David,

thanks for that encouraging post. I'll search information about that competition.

Thi :)

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 09:46:16 PM
Yeah, be ensured - hobby pianists can play this piece, too. It'll certainly take more time to learn, but it is possible.

The only difference between most of the pros and some of the amateurs is that pros play this piece when they're twenty or younger, amateurs start with it at the age of 28 or so; everything's possible, everything's playable - only the time when one comes to play those pieces makes a difference.

So - guess you should look forward playing this piece, maybe not anytime soon, but one day. And that's what's important.

Regards,
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert