Piano Forum

Poll

Which option enhances your music listening the most?

Watching the music while listening
1 (14.3%)
Watching the performer
0 (0%)
Listening while doing something else
1 (14.3%)
Listening with your eyes closed or doing nothing
5 (71.4%)
Other (specify)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Listening to music  (Read 1393 times)

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Listening to music
on: October 30, 2013, 08:42:07 PM
I find I sometimes cannot enjoy new music as much when I am just listening. I feel that I need sheet music to fully enjoy it when I first hear it. What is your opinions?
Clementi, Piano Sonata in G Minor, No. 3, op. 10
W. A. Mozart, Sonata for Piano Four-Hands in F Major, K. 497
Beethoven, Piano Concerto, No. 2, op. 19

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Listening to music
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:25:15 PM
I find watching the performer is distracting -- even at a live concert!  Exception -- sometimes an opera performance is well worth watching, but only if the stage director is sympathetic to the opera (not all are, by any means), the singers can really act as well as sing, the lighting is good, etc. etc.

That said, there are occasions when I will follow along with the score while listening, but only when I am trying to learn the score as well.
Ian

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert