Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Liszt. Tarantella  (Read 2477 times)

Offline cadenceiiv7i

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Liszt. Tarantella
on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:44 AM
Hello everyone,
Here is a version of Liszt's Tarantella from his Venezia e Napoli that I recorded a long time ago. I'm going to pick this piece up again, so I'd really really appreciate it if anyone had ANY suggestion because I really want to improve this a lot. Thank you guys soo much!!!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Liszt. Tarantella
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 03:55:44 AM
Bravo!

Some beautiful tone! Very expressive and polished playing.

I think you could have more room for creativity. There is lots there already, don't get me wrong.

But you could think a bit more outside the box sometimes. Things sometimes sounded rather literal. You could really push the limits of our imagination with fantasy. I would like that. Think less about what you are actually playing (it's wonderfully accurate already), and think more about what you are communicating.

But you did a fantastic job! Very enjoyable contribution. Thanks!

Offline andrewkoay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 03:16:41 PM
Unbelievable playing, how old are you now? You very well could be the next Martha Argerich or Yuja Wang for all you know. Please remember to sign an autographed CD for me next time if you really make it!

I second awesom_o's suggestions.

I used to play safe and solid like you. It got me good results in competitions, but thinking about it it shouldn't be the way it is. In today's world, you really don't want to be nth pianist who follow the score really tightly and play the same way like all the others. To make it big, you need the X-factor which will differentiate you from all the rest. Something special that only you can do. Play around, experiment with the sound more, and most importantly follow your heart! The classical world really needs a revival, and only exciting young talents who dare to do things differently can do it.   

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:38:47 PM
Magnificent - so many good things about it, high accuracy, appropriate usage of breathing, good phrasing, attention to the melodic line, etc. The only thing lacking is that little bit extra, possibly attention to tonal colour might help. For example, from 6.15 if you compare to Jorge Bolet, his sound is much more watery and sparkling. But really good work nonetheless!
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:30:43 PM
You play very nice.

Offline cadenceiiv7i

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:43:50 PM
Unbelievable playing, how old are you now? You very well could be the next Martha Argerich or Yuja Wang for all you know. Please remember to sign an autographed CD for me next time if you really make it!

I second awesom_o's suggestions.

I used to play safe and solid like you. It got me good results in competitions, but thinking about it it shouldn't be the way it is. In today's world, you really don't want to be nth pianist who follow the score really tightly and play the same way like all the others. To make it big, you need the X-factor which will differentiate you from all the rest. Something special that only you can do. Play around, experiment with the sound more, and most importantly follow your heart! The classical world really needs a revival, and only exciting young talents who dare to do things differently can do it.   

Thank you so much!! I'm so flattered!!
In the video, I was thirteen years old, but that was about a year ago. My musical imagination seems to be my biggest weakness and my teacher and many adjudicators tell me that I play too conventionally. I hope that will get better as I get older!! Thanks again!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert